Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
45 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Does anyone else enjoy a mug of tea in hot weather? I'm doing more concreting today and it's always nice to stop for a brew, even when it is 28°C.

cup of coffee for me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I think the Leconfield site is still playing silly buggers. It's been wrong loads of times recently and over-reading. I would imagine the cluster at 29c is probably the true UK max at the moment.

I might choose 45.8°C at Leconfield for the max temp competition hehe

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I'm in the west of France for the next week and we have 42°C forecast with no air conditioning.  Should be fun!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Feeling hot here on the west Turkish coastline today, Earthshine I just can’t imagine 42 degrees with no air conditioning, sends shivers down my spine

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Looks like we've hit 31°c and 32°c in a number of spots today around London and up to Cambridgeshire. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
15 minutes ago, The Tall Weatherman said:

Feeling hot here on the west Turkish coastline today, Earthshine I just can’t imagine 42 degrees with no air conditioning, sends shivers down my spine

I'm like a lizard and thrive in heat but 42°C might be pushing me to the limit thankfully with relatively humidity of 15% and windy it should be pretty easy to cool off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 07/07/2022 at 19:39, Portsmouth Sun said:

Oh come on don't be so dramatic, sounds like a Daily Fail headline.  28-32c is a standard warm summer spell. 

Maybe for the south, but up here in the north, that’s scorching! 26°C here today and yesterday and it’s too hot for me and my family!

On 07/07/2022 at 20:43, Sunny76 said:

This current spell is my kind of summer weather. 

Much better than dull and cool conditions.

I don’t know why people keep moaning about a few weeks or month or more of hot weather.

We spend most of any given year under cool and sometimes cold and damp conditions.

Because maybe not everyone enjoys it? Yes, we get a lot more cool/cold weather than hot weather but that also means we are more acclimatised to those cool conditions and so when it gets hot we complain because we are not used to it. Also, as others keep saying, the lack of air con in this country is a major problem.

6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

A bit more cloud around tomorrow..

viewimagenc.thumb.png.3e56c1d0fd808370712407e6cb1ca563.png

Good! Yes it is forecast to be cloudy tomorrow here and only 22°C here, and Wednesday and Thursday better still with temps in the high teens. But then getting hotter again by the weekend.

Although it has actually been mostly cloudy today but still too hot at 26°C. 

Currently 25°C in my bedroom and I’m sat in my bedroom in just my boxers with my desk fan on.

And with temperatures not forecast to drop below 17°C tonight here, it will be an uncomfortable night for sleeping.

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Does anyone else enjoy a mug of tea in hot weather? I'm doing more concreting today and it's always nice to stop for a brew, even when it is 28°C.

I have about 3-4 mugs of tea or sometimes 5 in a day.

I’ve been trying to cut down on caffeine, and just have 3 mugs of tea a day.

I love a brew. Have to drink more water when it’s hot, but I can’t do without a cuppa in the colder months. 

1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Maybe for the south, but up here in the north, that’s scorching! 26°C here today and yesterday and it’s too hot for me and my family!

Because maybe not everyone enjoys it? Yes, we get a lot more cool/cold weather than hot weather but that also means we are more acclimatised to those cool conditions and so when it gets hot we complain because we are not used to it. Also, as others keep saying, the lack of air con in this country is a major problem.

Good! Yes it is forecast to be cloudy tomorrow here and only 22°C here, and Wednesday and Thursday better still with temps in the high teens. But then getting hotter again by the weekend.

Currently 25°C in my bedroom and I’m sat in my bedroom in just my boxers with my desk fan on.

And with temperatures not forecast to drop below 17°C tonight here, it will be an uncomfortable night for sleeping.

I don’t like the cold and damp weather, and I don’t think everyone enjoys it.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

With more cloud and the temps still above 25c, that means it will be hot and humid. I would much prefer hot and sunny. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

With more cloud and the temps still above 25c, that means it will be hot and humid. I would much prefer hot and sunny. 

Yep exactly. It will feel much worse tomorrow with all the cloud. Humidity was below 30% today in the sunshine…will be 45-50% tomorrow under cloud which at 30c will feel yucky. Even for me as a summer lover I dislike that.

Posted
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yep exactly. It will feel much worse tomorrow with all the cloud. Humidity was below 30% today in the sunshine…will be 45-50% tomorrow under cloud which at 30c will feel yucky. Even for me as a summer lover I dislike that.

Yeah I hate cloud at summer, even when it’s low 20s, because it either feels cold, or starts to feel humid if the wind is coming from the south. 

I guess it’s a small price to pay, if the sunny conditions return later in the week, but I’m hoping we get a storm out of this heatwave. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Why is bbc weather still showing figures of 27/28 for Manchester on Sunday and Monday? Very pessimistic considering with 19 to 21C uppers it could be mid 30s and theres a extreme heat warning covering us.  28c isnt really extreme heat

Edited by 38.7°C
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️
33 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

This reminds me of those articles about covid conspiracy theorists who ended up dead

Edited by Paul
Removed quote which was lifted from a newspaper
  • Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Why is bbc weather still showing figures of 27/28 for Manchester on Sunday and Monday? Very pessimistic considering with 19 to 21C uppers it could be mid 30s and theres a extreme heat warning covering us.  28c isnt really extreme heat

Still a bit far out, still other things that could develop, lack of confidence in their own tools, apprehension that the media will laugh at them for scaremongering, direction from higher up not to cause panic. 

Take your pick. 

• Like 1

Posted

Members of the public have been told not to make 999 calls "in emergencies only".

FYW

(fixed your warning)

Glad to see a level of concern developing, when we had the heat dome here in BC a year ago, the health services were painfully unprepared and emergency calls were meeting with six to eight hour response times by paramedics (in part because of the COVID situation). Luckily our school year had just ended and the schools were mostly closed. 

I can do the anti-snowflake diatribe with the best of them but the said "Conservative MPs" will understand the fuss if 39 or 40 is actually reached, it's not just a warmer 35. It gets into uncharted territory when you aren't used to those kinds of temperatures. 

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, legion_quest said:

It's a shame the charts aren't moving the heat along abit further, if they could get the heat delayed to Wednesday, that's the last day of term in a lot of places, so most schools would likely just close a day early. 

With it being earlier in the week, I suspect a lot of schools will push to stay open to avoid complaints from people like Sir John, who sounds like a right charmer. 

Instead, it seems the heat in the charts is going to break down quite rapidly, just in time for the end of school. Unless I'm reading that entirely wrongly? 

Sir John sounds like some of the people here in the past few days wanting the charts to reach even higher temperatures. 

Posted

I think sir John deserves to be stood in Trafalgar Square directing  traffic on Monday afternoon - can’t be that difficult can it ! 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Sir John sounds like some of the people here in the past few days wanting the charts to reach even higher temperatures. 

No he’s right. Just likes everyone bunks of work with snow you can’t let everyone stop working because it’s hot. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I think sir John deserves to be stood in Trafalgar Square directing  traffic on Monday afternoon - can’t be that difficult can it ! 

Offices and shops closed.... but parks and beeches would be packed.... hmmm....

Posted
Just now, Alderc said:

No he’s right. Just likes everyone bunks of work with snow you can’t let everyone stop working because it’s hot. 

Oh yeah sure but hot countries have things like ac. We don't. Though I don't get why things like train tracks go in our heat but seem to be fine in other countries 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

So work is worth more than your life?

Not in my book it isn't. It certainly won't be for millions of low wage workers on £10ish an hour.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Just now, CreweCold said:

So work is worth more than your life?

Not in my book it isn't. It certainly isn't for me on £10ish an hour.

Fair enough, don’t go to work and don’t get paid. Most peoples work places will be cooler than there homes anyway (yes apart from chefs, people working next to blast furnanes etc). You shut shops and other things down you have to close beaches and parks. Can’t swan of work with ‘it’s too hot’ to roll in the next day with a tan a stories of picnics, pimms and parties etc, which is exactly what would happen in MOST cases. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

The humidity has been about 45-50% or so today at 26/27°C and was also around 50% yesterday when it was sunny and also 26°C.

The problem with hot sunny weather at this time of year is that the sun heats up any room it is shining into. Yes you can close blinds/curtains but then you have a darker room. Cloud also helps to keep daytime temps suppressed too, although the downside is that it also keeps the temps up at night too.

1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Has been about 45-50% humidity today but temp only about 26/27C. The south east despite getting the hottest weather also tends to get lower relative humidity. Up here it’s rare to see humidity drop below 40%. Coastal areas tends to have lower temps in summer but higher humidity. It would be interesting to compare the dew points between NW England and the south east. Personally speaking id rather have 22°C and 75% humidity than 30°C and 30% humidity.

23 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Let’s hope they’re right and the models are wrong. I do NOT want that heat up here! It’s been hot enough today thanks. Thankfully my weather app only forecasting mid 20’s for next weekend here.

Remember Manchester only averages 20°C in July so 28°C is 8°C above average. So pretty extreme.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Can’t swan of work with ‘it’s too hot’ to roll in the next day with a tan a stories of picnics, pimms and parties etc, which is exactly what would happen in MOST cases. 

I think it'll be too hot for most people to want to leave the house IMO.

Also working in heat and having to be productive is a hell of a lot different to being able to lounge around.

There's a weird fascination in this country with flogging people to the maximum...where in other countries it's a lot more laid back. Guess where productivity is higher?

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3