Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Autumn arrives

Message added by Paul,

Please double-check the contents of your post before hitting submit to make sure it is model related. For general discussion about the weather this autumn, the Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps and Chat is already very active, so please head over there.

Posted

EC not great .far too much high lat blocking for my liking .

Could end up very wet as troughing gets stuck in our locale.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
43 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Really depends on spot totals, even in the east. At this time of year it's pretty much impossible to rule out torrential downpours with pressure sub-1020mb. I've seen many 'mainly dry' days with the cap punctured and localised 50mm falling.

Happened in August 2007 here. Fairly benign day but with a cell that developed in isolated fashion and dropped a couple of inches of hail in an hour period.

This was the the chart that day

image.thumb.png.3fcde478a1bb48391b879d75a9b5ca74.png

Equally though - today pressure has been around 1013mb and it’s been dry, sunny all day and very warm at 26-28c. Difference is that chart has an upper trough over the UK which just forces showers very easily and today has a ridge. Surface pressure is only one ingredient of the days weather. No forcing today and a lovely day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
14 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Equally though - today pressure has been around 1013mb and it’s been dry, sunny all day and very warm at 26-28c. Difference is that chart has an upper trough over the UK which just forces showers very easily and today has a ridge. Surface pressure is only one ingredient of the days weather. No forcing today and a lovely day.

Of course but my point was that we’re in a broad trough into next week. The ridge is situated well to the E, even if pressure isn’t desperately low.

20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

EC not great .far too much high lat blocking for my liking .

Could end up very wet as troughing gets stuck in our locale.

EC is very wet to end yes. However it’s 9-10 days away. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

With the trough anchored some way West of the UK in a week from now and pressure High to the East,no reason why 25c+ is  not feasible again in the SE with winds from the SW and dry too.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richie3846 said:

It's interesting to look further ahead, though there's hardly any talk about the situation that is developing over the weekend. I'm at a loss to why there is so much talk about fantasy models for 12 days ahead, when there is a lot of interest coming up which seems to be void here? 

I'm trying to make sense of it through the met office interpretation currently, they seemed to have toned down the impact of the change of air for the south, with temps looking slightly up for Friday to Tuesday, and some pleasant sunshine in-between the showers, temps now only a margin below average.

If any model watchers have anything to add about the weekend/early next week period, that would be amazing. 

Saturday is very unsettled according to the latest models here is an example for Saturday and Sunday  image.thumb.png.db00488359cf72922d1fbce5a7724a0c.pngimage.thumb.png.460d5b3fc83556480b9ca1ab9309c54e.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nigelapplewhit4 said:

Saturday is very unsettled according to the latest models here is an example for Saturday and Sunday  image.thumb.png.db00488359cf72922d1fbce5a7724a0c.pngimage.thumb.png.460d5b3fc83556480b9ca1ab9309c54e.png

The latest GFS model is predicting it will take over a week for the low pressure to slow fill and be replaced by very weak high pressure ridging into S and SE England. By this stage the Jetstream is weak over the UK image.thumb.png.27e165ba4a3deb109381399d8d6a8d3d.png image.thumb.png.baeaf1c1ca20ee86e82df21ad3280ade.png

Just now, Nigelapplewhit4 said:

The latest GFS model is predicting it will take over a week for the low pressure to slow fill and be replaced by very weak high pressure ridging into S and SE England. By this stage the Jetstream is weak over the UK image.thumb.png.27e165ba4a3deb109381399d8d6a8d3d.png image.thumb.png.baeaf1c1ca20ee86e82df21ad3280ade.png

According to the FL forecast we may see some ridging by July 5th. image.thumb.png.cd6cd4c95cb290cc4bbe5c37fe7aff26.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The longer term GEM 12z mean offers hope for summer fans in early July from the Azores sector and even before then might not be so bad with the trough a smidgen to the west with heights further east so at least it could be on the warm side with winds from more of a southerly direction?…anyway, it may not be as bad as some think? ☀️⛅️  

D6861388-501A-4E4B-90B1-23BB9FB52992.thumb.png.cea60bb3effadfceb0bcc5bb22d1a431.pngCD8D425A-673B-4B84-BBAF-1B4F6A953834.thumb.png.0fadcd132dacb3bfa9e76a7f113101cd.png3306F8B1-2514-4A0C-9E3D-A37CB0990969.thumb.png.0e9f845ec5c2a08b50150a0a04522002.png875EF2E3-42B7-4590-A299-075E5298B6E6.thumb.png.cc5ed45052798e2bc891c47a2e71cf16.pngD8B1D9ED-C8F2-4934-93AA-6E5B8817ECA6.thumb.png.2761b037bdc8e85d099f1b2f82f578fd.pngABDB69B6-B34B-4D3C-9560-EE5AC0F276C1.thumb.png.ef7f2b5f601d9d02e34fb54611540ec6.png

Edited by jon snow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

The 12z ens stumps! @ gem/@ecm @gfs.. @ London ones note a slump in overall temperatures.. but then a recovery of above.. perhaps going into well above territory as we creep into the new month @ July.. the precipitation spikes note the uncertainty as to ... indeed precipitation!.. however as again The modelled limpit trough “ I’m not buying “.. as the angular momentum stakes don’t exactly align.. still think July will start.. and continue as an improving picture.. for most.. but yeah undeniably the further south/east the higher the temperatures.. and arid conditions- in compare. There’s a lot to play for if you’re a summer fan for sure!!.. roll on winter

D11630FA-F3C1-4DF2-9F89-2BDBBFE1659E.png

8029797F-7A47-432F-97DA-2EBBD8A5990C.png

D9ACFD6D-259A-433B-AF98-CC66B7B8C2E3.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

And here's this week's Met Office Ten-Day Trend. And it's hardly a washout! Doom-mongers wrong again? We'll see!

Looks pretty similar to this week and not ever getting particularly cool at all!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
1 hour ago, clark3r said:

Hints of a heatwave FI on gfs this morning towards the end of the run

Sure is, and here in the East weather is looking rather nice for next week, I know its not looking to great for most of the UK but Norfolk seems to be in doing well so far this Summer,

Posted

Not the most enthralling set of charts for the 7-10 day period. Low pressure hanging around for the duration - still more focussed out to the west, so western areas taking the lions share of the rain. Western parts of Ireland look exceptionally wet! Best of the conditions towards the E/SE.

image.thumb.png.f8f2c5f60850953ae3e285cac394099c.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, clark3r said:

Hints of a heatwave FI on gfs this morning towards the end of the run

Only one run in the suite of course.

Out to day 10 and low pressure remains anchored near the UK with wetter windier to the North West and drier to the South East. No heat wave in this time frame. 

Posted
28 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Only one run in the suite of course.

Out to day 10 and low pressure remains anchored near the UK with wetter windier to the North West and drier to the South East. No heat wave in this time frame. 

image.thumb.png.1aa03cc01665565de7d689b63db1eeb3.png

Yep - I wonder which one it could be....90% of the runs tightly clustered between the 5-10c range, which is bang on the average for July. Sunshine and showers.

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.a6720a61ef15fefb1c5c97be02a02ceb.pngimage.thumb.png.a4e06eeb423b4e554124ec5bb3138ee2.png

All eyes still on the tropics as we head into July - MJO still forecast to traverse phases 4/5 through the first week. With a bit of lag time for the effects to filter through....perhaps an improving picture after the first week of July, as the more unsettled NW European pattern starts to flush out towards the end of this period?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

There has been a signal for some time that July could be a significantly better month than June (not that June has been bad mind you, not often we see 30°C here pre-solstice and yesterday was the best summers day I can remember for a long time).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

There has been a signal for some time that July could be a significantly better month than June (not that June has been bad mind you, not often we see 30°C here pre-solstice and yesterday was the best summers day I can remember for a long time).

I hope July is better than June, but yes as you say can't really moan about June. Only switch some of the heat to the weekends!

Today is a proper cracker, I'm a novice on models. What is todays model looking like, and where is todays heat coming from.
It's a nicer heat than late last week.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.1aa03cc01665565de7d689b63db1eeb3.png

Yep - I wonder which one it could be....90% of the runs tightly clustered between the 5-10c range, which is bang on the average for July. Sunshine and showers.

Indeed... average for July isnt bad at all...

1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.a6720a61ef15fefb1c5c97be02a02ceb.pngimage.thumb.png.a4e06eeb423b4e554124ec5bb3138ee2.png

All eyes still on the tropics as we head into July - MJO still forecast to traverse phases 4/5 through the first week. With a bit of lag time for the effects to filter through....perhaps an improving picture after the first week of July, as the more unsettled NW European pattern starts to flush out towards the end of this period?

(this isnt aimat you, im just using your MJO post to comment about the MJO)
I have to say it ..... i dont "get" the MJO at all.... oh i get the theory that a phase here leads to a certain weather pattern here. But how often has that verified? Unlike the NOAA charts that i can "get" and do think they work, i cannot make the MJO be of any use.
On my Facebook timeline a couple of weeks ago, memories, i reported that hot settled weather was on its way because "the experts at netweather (forum) had said the MJO was going to orbit through phase 8 and 1 which in June brings high pressure " ............. that was from June 2012 !!!!

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Indeed... average for July isnt bad at all...

(this isnt aimat you, im just using your MJO post to comment about the MJO)
I have to say it ..... i dont "get" the MJO at all.... oh i get the theory that a phase here leads to a certain weather pattern here. But how often has that verified? Unlike the NOAA charts that i can "get" and do think they work, i cannot make the MJO be of any use.
On my Facebook timeline a couple of weeks ago, memories, i reported that hot settled weather was on its way because "the experts at netweather (forum) had said the MJO was going to orbit through phase 8 and 1 which in June brings high pressure " ............. that was from June 2012 !!!!

It's obviously not a fool proof way of making a forecast, otherwise it would go like clockwork and be very predictable. It's just a forecasting tool like any other teleconnection. The mechanisms of why an MJO passage through phase 4/5 would help promote settled weather in NW Europe in early July make sense - but the weather makes mugs of us all repeatedly, so it's no guarantee! Just one to watch, hence the 'perhaps' and question mark in my post!

• Like 6

Posted

eps over the past two suites have the upper trough a bit further east next week which is less good for the country as a while (moreso as you head nw) 

some signs that later week 2 sees an improvement as the Azores ridges in and the sceuro ridge is actually reduced.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It isn’t much of a shift, but it is enough to bring sunnier and warmer conditions into more southern and eastern areas

UKMO and GFS

image.thumb.gif.85d0945d871ebba0ebf6830bf2002a3f.gif   image.thumb.png.3fa57fae2992d1cbab3fde50607ebb55.png

A battleground develops for midweek with a front running through the country, to the east the temperatures are back into the mid to high twenties. Both models also want to collapse the Atlantic ridge eastwards, this will weaken the trough near the UK.

The GEM rolling out now and is better still and the high to the east gets the upper hand.

image.thumb.png.10ab48d7bc05d67b6fa1773cfdebc2bf.png

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3