Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2022 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
4 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

guarantee one year would be enough..you wouldn't want two..any fixation or love of cold and snow would be over 😎

Great, maybe that's just what I need?!  I would like my fixation with snow and cold to be over, as that way I would no longer be disappointed most winters! 😉

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
On 13/07/2022 at 21:10, mb018538 said:

Christ - not even halfway through summer yet! I’ll start looking forward to autumn once we get through the middle of September. This first half of it is more like an extension of summer these days, seems to always have a warm or hot spell thrown in the mix!

Memory is strange. Always went back to school and wondered why we were playing football and rugby as weather was better than when we tried to play cricket in the summer term. Felt like this happened every year and that was 40 years ago.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
55 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

Memory is strange. Always went back to school and wondered why we were playing football and rugby as weather was better than when we tried to play cricket in the summer term. Felt like this happened every year and that was 40 years ago.

I remember this too. Back in the days of April and May showers playing havoc with cricket fixtures, and the ground still rock hard in September after the summer. 

There were a run of dry Septembers or dry spells in September from 2002-2007 (although 2006 turned wet quite quickly) which made rugby interesting...

• Like 2

Posted
On 20/07/2022 at 14:19, B87 said:

Most trees here don't turn until well into October with peak colours in early November - any browning now is definitely due to drought.

Yes drought has turned the colour of lots of trees leaves from lush summer  green to pale yellow up here

• Like 1

Posted
On 20/07/2022 at 22:14, Damslawdamslaw said:

Increasingly Autumn proper seems to not bed in until mid October and once the light is snatched end October the early winter gloom feel takes over. I always used to look forward to late September and the first frosts.. and that definate feel of autumn.. but now September just feels more like late summer. 

September for me is the month of two halves.

The 1st until around the 15th can still feel like a continuation of summer, but even if temps are touching 25c, there’s a distinct late summer feeling to everything.

I’m not a big fan of September, as it signals the end of the lighter time of year, and the gradual decline into the colder and darker period of the year.

This becomes more inescapable by late September, which feels more like Autumn, and by mid October the darkness really gains rapid momentum. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 20/07/2022 at 09:26, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Too early to be 'on the turn' - looks like heat stress

Afternoon TONA 🙂

I hear exactly where you're coming from, but every year regardless of the type f summer we've had, this is always one of the first places that I look to see the first signs of leaves starting to turn. 🍁🍂🍃😃

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Sep 07, Oct 16, Nov 05/10 ideally.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The first half of September is warmer than the first half of June on average, and this has always been the case.

September has fewer precip days than June as well on average, with 7 vs 8.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
On 21/07/2022 at 22:57, Sunny76 said:

September for me is the month of two halves.

The 1st until around the 15th can still feel like a continuation of summer, but even if temps are touching 25c, there’s a distinct late summer feeling to everything.

Yes, I can recall plenty of occasions in early September when leaving for work at 7 in the morning;  the sun is out, but there is that 'nip' in the air. And late evening cycle rides when the warmth disappears, and it feels cool, that tells you it's no longer summer.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
58 minutes ago, Seasonal Trim said:

Only 40 day until the start of Autumn!

🥳🥳🥳

Or, cynically, 9 days. 😉

Seriously, I'd class 10 Aug - 20 Sep as a summer/autumn transition period these days, with that 40-day period being neither one nor the other. In other parts of Europe August can, like July, be almost too hot and sunny, whereas in the UK it rarely feels like a true summer month anymore. Last August to feel "summery" was 2016, and other "summery" Augusts have been few and far between from 2006 onwards.

But true autumn doesn't really kick in until the second half of September as before then, the days are too long and it's a little too warm to feel like the season has definitely turned.

As for my guess at autumn this year, my gut feeling is for a better October than the last few; the last time we had a dry October was, I think, 2018. Perhaps, following a typically cloudy, changeable August, another mostly fine September, persisting into the first half of October followed by more changeable conditions second half. Just guesswork though.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
On 19/07/2022 at 23:01, cheeky_monkey said:

Autumn is the best season of the year here..unfortunately its sooo short and ultimately is the harbinger of doom as the very long cold winter is knocking on the door

I do think more continental climates have it much, much luckier with autumn.

Temps are not too dissimilar overall to the UK but they tend to be much sunnier and drier, with more of a chance of both lingering summer warmth and early frosts.

Spring, by contrast, is more of an equaliser: it seems that continental climates have just as much chance of rain and dull weather in spring as places like the UK do. I've experienced cold, wet conditions in Italy near Naples in April, and in Los Angeles of all places (yes, really), and from what I gather, such conditions are not at all uncommon throughout much of continental Europe and temperate North America.

Would love to see an autumn in the UK with almost no Atlantic activity: the first half warm (though cooling) and sunny, and the second half frosty and sunny.

Something like Sep/Oct 2003 plus Nov 2005 would be close to an ideal.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 4

Posted

Just a note that sea ice is currently running at levels not seen since 2009.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Looking out the window now it looks like Autumn has already arrived!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
56 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Looking out the window now it looks like Autumn has already arrived!

Certainly does, cloudy, wet at times and very blustery today which as taken edge off warmish temperatures. 

Last weeks heatwave seems like a distant memory, next couple of days at least look like being more autumnal too. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning o'fellow autumn lovers. 😃

I am pleased to report that today is that auspicious day when I finally felt my first taste of autumn for 2022! 🍁🍃🍃🥳

Last night going before going to bed I noticed the mist and hill fog rolling in... But this morning when I took the dog out for a walk at 04:50, the first thing that hit me was that cool feeling dampness in the air! It felt wonderful! Then I noticed the heavy dew/dampness on the car! That was when I thought, 'Helloooo autumn!' 😃🙌👍

I'm fully aware that summer has probably gotten one or three nasty tricks still left up its sleeve, but this morning it certainly felt like a corner has finally been turned, and the horror's of last weeks heatwave are now hopefully a distant and fading nightmare. Long may this continue. 🍂🍃🍁🥰

• Like 2

Posted

September is often our most benign and clement month. Best month for outdoor activities I feel..

I find it a frustrating month as it never knows if it wants to be Summer or Autumn. Warm evenings and dark nights not a great mix..

Much prefer October has a definateness about it.

Equally not a fan of August.. indeed we are about to enter my least favourite time of year weatherwise as we lose the wonder and expectation of the Apr to July period and all the hopes and good to come by August you think that's it for another year.. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
8 hours ago, damianslaw said:

September is often our most benign and clement month. Best month for outdoor activities I feel..

I find it a frustrating month as it never knows if it wants to be Summer or Autumn. Warm evenings and dark nights not a great mix..

Equally not a fan of August.. indeed we are about to enter my least favourite time of year weatherwise as we lose the wonder and expectation of the Apr to July period and all the hopes and good to come by August you think that's it for another year.. 

Yep same here. I lose interest a bit once we head into August as it's so often a let-down month, and the rate of daylight loss just ramps up so quickly. April/May/June/July are my favourite 4 months of the year by far. I'd much rather skip through to September! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

one thing i notice about living on the Prairies here in Canada is how quickly Autumn arrives and how early compared to the UK.. it could be as early as 2 weeks time but no later than 4 weeks away...the sad thing is this year we had a late start to both spring and summer..so im hoping Autumn follows that trend 🤞

• Like 2

Posted
58 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

one thing i notice about living on the Prairies here in Canada is how quickly Autumn arrives and how early compared to the UK.. it could be as early as 2 weeks time but no later than 4 weeks away...the sad thing is this year we had a late start to both spring and summer..so im hoping Autumn follows that trend 🤞

Interesting that it's so regular given that here we seem to vary quite a bit (albeit I normally feel it in late August bar the horrid warm early Autumns and late summer).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

September definitely the most boring month. Air frosts are rare, Atlantic storms are quite rare and zero chance of snow away from the highest Scottish mountains. It's basically an extension of summer temperature wise minus the long daylight, especially early and mid September. The only good thing about September is you notice the leaves change towards the end of the month. At least in March and April you can get all of those above weather conditions. October things get a little bit more interesting with chances increasing.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Interesting that it's so regular given that here we seem to vary quite a bit (albeit I normally feel it in late August bar the horrid warm early Autumns and late summer).

yep trees start to turn usually the 2nd or 3rd week of August..by beginning Sept most trees are into their Autumn colours of yellow and orange..by end of Sept trees are mostly bare 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yep trees start to turn usually the 2nd or 3rd week of August..by beginning Sept most trees are into their Autumn colours of yellow and orange..by end of Sept trees are mostly bare 

How come they begin to change so early as average max temps are 22C in Edmonton in August and mins 11C? Are the tree types different over there or is it late spring frosts doing damage to the already opened foliage? here our August max average is 19C and mins are 11C yet I don't think I've ever seen the leaves turn in August before. Must be other factors at play as to why they turn so early over where you are.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
7 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

How come they begin to change so early as average max temps are 22C in Edmonton in August and mins 11C? Are the tree types different over there or is it late spring frosts doing damage to the already opened foliage? here our August max average is 19C and mins are 11C yet I don't think I've ever seen the leaves turn in August before. Must be other factors at play as to why they turn so early over where you are.

I would of thought the onset memory of guaranteed cold weather maybe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1