Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Compelling and hysterical viewing

Live now

Edited by Arnie Pie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
14 minutes ago, Arnie Pie said:

Live now

Then when.one or more of them gets washed in other people will have to risk their lives to save these idiots...thick doesnt even come into it...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Edited by matty40s
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
1 hour ago, Arnie Pie said:

Live now

This is hysterical and very compulsive viewing ! We'd be the same down here in Hastings 🙂 

• Like 4

Posted

There was almost no disruption to the hurricane's core as it crossed western Cuba; looking at the satellite loops you'd think it hadn't made landfall at all. This means there is next to no need for the storm to reorganise before restrengthening. Also, the cold front arriving from the NW doesn't look like causing as much weakening as first thought (and the weakening will be even less significant if the track continues to trend eastwards), In any case, a Cat. 3 which has come down from Cat. 4 is usually worse than one which has come up from Cat. 2 ( they tend to be more mature hurricanes with larger wind fields - Katrina is the classic example here). Throw in a big slow-down in forward motion as Ian approaches the coast (perhaps even a stall) and you have the potential for both prolonged storm surge and prodigious rainfall.

On the other hand, the wind field is still relatively small. I wonder if there's a chance of an EWRC before reaching Florida (which would expand it).

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, Thunder Snow said:

Idiots

I've been sea fishing in storms in the North Sea worse than that, A bit of spray here and there but it will get worse ☺️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....
20 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

I've been sea fishing in storms in the North Sea worse than that, A bit of spray here and there but it will get worse ☺️

I'd love to hear your tales 🙂 

Posted

I have my fears about this hurricane and Florida. Will enough of them take it seriously?

I can't remember its name but a few years ago there was a super-hyped hurricane for Florida which didn't end up as bad as expected (it lost puff after the Caribbean), I think it was the one when reporters were bracing against the wind as if it were Armageddon but in the background people were ambling down the street like on a calm day.

Several models now showing gusts at landfall close to 150mph - you're more likely to fly than amble in that.

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, karyo said:

It looks to be turning slightly to the northeast.

Tbh i am just watching and trying to 'learn' a bit as i go, Twitter is hard work with who to follow and who to ignore, so i am grateful for the insightful posters on here 👍

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I have my fears about this hurricane and Florida. Will enough of them take it seriously?

I can't remember its name but a few years ago there was a super-hyped hurricane for Florida which didn't end up as bad as expected (it lost puff after the Caribbean), I think it was the one when reporters were bracing against the wind as if it were Armageddon but in the background people were ambling down the street like on a calm day.

Several models now showing gusts at landfall close to 150mph - you're more likely to fly than amble in that.

To a degree I understand how those on the East Coast can be complacent (understand not agree) but those on the west. Of the 160 that have made landfall in Florida only 17 have done so on the west coast. 

Hopefully the uniqueness of this situation will mean people will take it seriously, the alternatives are unfathomable. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

And I'm sure your alittle more professional, than the idiots wanting a selfie 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh yes, No time for that myself.. But all this me-nuss adds to the new age of ego with likes and such.. And acting like it's my more than what it is.. Anyways I'm starting to ramble ☺️

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

• Like 1