Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Here's the snow I had back in December

20230213_220727.thumb.gif.e8bf164db6a815459c01646c3bc4cc54.gif

Mustn't grumble!

It's more than I've seen in the last 5 years so I'd gladly take that.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

A few pics from my daily commute 13th/14th December, abit slip/slidy in a BMW, 

Could contain: Road, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Tarmac, Scenery, Sky, Car, Ice, Freeway

Could contain: Road, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Tarmac, Car, Vehicle, Snow, Winter

Could contain: Road, Tarmac, Car, Freeway, Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Highway, Scenery, Windshield

Could contain: Tree, Plant, Nature, Outdoors, Fir, Scenery, Road, Ice, Snow

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Could contain: Car, Vehicle, Transportation, Gauge, Tachometer

A tad chilly as well.....

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, matt111 said:

It's more than I've seen in the last 5 years so I'd gladly take that.  

Me too please! Not seen a flake!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

My garden on the 16th January when I got lucky from a weak occlusion moving south from Scotland. As usual MetO were useless in forecasting the snow

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Tree, Plant, Frost, Snow, Fir, Winter

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Tree, Neighborhood, Fir, Frost, Snow, Car

• Like 4

Posted

Blast from the Past has been banging the drum of a cold March for quite awhile.

Really cold Marches following mild Januarys and Februarys

1962, (2.8°C) although the cold at the start of January and end of February did offset their monthly CET values, the period 5th January-21st February 1962's CET was about 5.5°C

1937, CET 3.6°C.  That was a mild very wet and at times stormy winter

1883, CET: 1.9°C This was a real shock, Victorians  thought they got away with it what winter.

1869, CET: 3.8°C  Came straight after the mildest on record in the legacy CET listings

1696, CET: 3.5°C

Very few really cold Marches in that listing.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
13 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Blast from the Past has been banging the drum of a cold March for quite awhile.

Really cold Marches following mild Januarys and Februarys

1962, (2.8°C) although the cold at the start of January and end of February did offset their monthly CET values, the period 5th January-21st February 1962's CET was about 5.5°C

1937, CET 3.6°C.  That was a mild very wet and at times stormy winter

1883, CET: 1.9°C This was a real shock, Victorians  thought they got away with it what winter.

1869, CET: 3.8°C  Came straight after the mildest on record in the legacy CET listings

1696, CET: 3.5°C

Very few really cold Marches in that listing.  

CFS telling us we're in with a shout. Added to that the EC46 is suggestive of Greenland blocking during March. All depends how much cold there is to draw upon

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Some of the CFS runs are bullish right into April

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Graphics, Art

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors, Nature, Map, Sea, Water

There's the possibility of a shocker of a spring. Would love something like the above chart to come off...would be practically nailed on for thundersnow in that set up.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

CFS telling us we're in with a shout. Added to that the EC46 is suggestive of Greenland blocking during March. All depends how much cold there is to draw upon

There's the possibility of a shocker of a spring. Would love something like the above chart to come off...would be practically nailed on for thundersnow in that set up.

Possibility but here's some food for thought 

From NOAA's data set

NAO: -1.26

AO: -2.013

March 1957 and it is the mildest March CET on record with 9.2°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Possibility but here's some food for thought 

From NOAA's data set

NAO: -1.26

AO: -2.013

March 1957 and it is the mildest March CET on record with 9.2°C

Yep...much less margin for error in March. Could just as equally be warm and settled as it could be cold and wintry. You don't have inversion cold to fall back on in March as temperatures will rise under clear skies during daylight hours.

The Atlantic didn't play ball in 1957 it seems...trough marooned to the west of the UK with a west based and weak -NAO

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Not really buying this cold March idea to be honest… could happen but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s another above average month, particularly by old standards. However, I certainly will be celebrating their intuition if it does come off. 

As someone who likes cold weather, by March I start to find intense cold a bit useless. A very cold March isn’t of much interest to me…

Back to the present and a watch of Gavin’s forecast this morning shows a very mild couple of days. Here in the south it looks as though at least to the 18th every day should reach around 13-15C. Rapid plant growth I predict. There’s a little bush outside the front of my house that’s already starting to leaf a little bit and it did that last year too. Yesterday I noticed how irrelevant it was to wear a coat as it felt balmy in the sunshine!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Winter 1975 was much milder than 2023 but March 75 was a cold wintry month with plenty of snow events.

The Maundy Thursday blizzard in Birmingham on the 27th brought the City to a standstill with 16cms falling at Edgbaston during the afternoon, it was a classic Cheshire Gap streamer.

Snow widespread elsewhere between the 28th and 31st to give a very cold, wintry Easter, Kent badly affected on Easter Sunday.

Not sure what caused such a flip in early March that year but cold conditions persisted all spring culminating in the great June snowfall of 2nd June.

Great weather, unlike the dead zone weather of the last few weeks.

Andy

• Like 2

Posted

Don't really understand the desire for cold March. Even here in Central Europe you need really cold uppers to deliver something of note. The famous SSW in 2018 delivered just dull, grey and cold March with zero snow here and then we jumped straight to summer with extremely warm April and May. Though I understand that it was more interesting in UK.

The last really wintry March was in 2006 with snow laying for 24 days but that's almost 20 years ago and the climate was little bit different then. 

I for one hope that any significant cold will miss us. Cold in March is not worth it, especially with how much heating cost nowadays.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Last night's Rees-Mogg was mighty thick, though the sun is now breaking through... No overnight frost.

Posted

Another poor forecast today. Like yesterday the fog/cloud is being stubborn and the 10C predicted looks a long shot as its still only 3.6C. 

What was looking like a decent Sun-Tues before the unsettled weather arrives has yielded 2 hours of sunshine so far.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Another clear blue sky day here after another morning frost.

On the March debate I'm relatively confident that the first half of the month will be cold albeit I'm undecided whether I want it. March 12 really did ruin me for other March's.

Posted
4 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Winter 1975 was much milder than 2023 but March 75 was a cold wintry month with plenty of snow events.

The Maundy Thursday blizzard in Birmingham on the 27th brought the City to a standstill with 16cms falling at Edgbaston during the afternoon, it was a classic Cheshire Gap streamer.

Snow widespread elsewhere between the 28th and 31st to give a very cold, wintry Easter, Kent badly affected on Easter Sunday.

Not sure what caused such a flip in early March that year but cold conditions persisted all spring culminating in the great June snowfall of 2nd June.

Great weather, unlike the dead zone weather of the last few weeks.

Andy

Easter 2008 was also cold and snowy and, in both 1975 and 2008, Easter was in March. In 2013, the weekend before Easter (again in March) was very cold and snowy, as I experienced at Chester when I was at a concert which went ahead despite the weather. It was cold that night, even indoors! 

Cracking day here now after a slow start, with plenty of sun and blue skies. I can live with that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I remember a Spring,  probably late 70s as we were down south visiting holiday friends from the summer of 76 , It was Easter Sunday we went to Heathrow Plane spotting (Concorde)  it was 80F , a week or so later we had a foot of snow back up north and we were sledging near Edale in the Peak District.
Spring can present extremes from both ends of the spectrum ..  even now 45yrs+ later  

• Like 1

Posted

As posted in the South West regional:

Another beautiful sunny day here.

Already at 12c; feels like Spring has sprung early; hopefully it lasts now and the SSW fails to 'deliver' any cold for down here.😎

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
18 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

As posted in the South West regional:

Another beautiful sunny day here.

Already at 12c; feels like Spring has sprung early; hopefully it lasts now and the SSW fails to 'deliver' any cold for down here.😎

Agreed, done with winter now. The last couple of days have flipped me fully into spring mode.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Agreed, done with winter now. The last couple of days have flipped me fully into spring mode.

And nature too. I saw a butterfly yesterday, not sure which type, I was walking towards the sun, so saw it shadowy looking.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

And only 30 mins later we've just reached 14c, with clear blue skies. Wonderful sat in our suntrap back garden at the mo😎.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'd love a really cold March personally. There's something fascinating about snow lying comfortably for days when it's still light till much later. March 2013 was excellent in that respect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst these current temps are nice, I personally wouldn't say no to one last blast of winter before the season is fully out. We may well be in late winter, but it's still winter nonetheless and February is a winter month.

I don't want a cold March though as by that point my interest changes to spring warmth.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1