Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Don't like the look of ECM compared to GFS.

12O - 144 is key.

Nope, look where the cold goes. ECM0-120.thumb.gif.1dde8b6ca7f208899492966d11e398be.gif

• Like 2

Posted

All 3 at 120, I’d say ECM looking more GFS around Scandy 👌

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Plot, Chart, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Modern Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Modern Art
Maybe the middle ground, so let’s see where it goes. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Look like ICON now🤣

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Modern ArtCould contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Edited by Gowon
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I'm going to say this run is not favoured in its ensemble suite, it has virtually all the energy running NE from 72h even though the ridge ahead is more impressive than previous runs so mixed bag.

Still better than UKMO IMO and it may still produce eventually.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

The real question is not if there will be an easterly (there won't) but when will the GFS actually smell the coffee.  Dreadful model now.  UKMO, ECMWF and ICON all offering more feasible outcomes whereby many of us will be under the influence of high pressure close to the south for the time being.

Posted
1 minute ago, Tidal Wave said:

The real question is not if there will be an easterly (there won't) but when will the GFS actually smell the coffee.  Dreadful model now.  UKMO, ECMWF and ICON all offering more feasible outcomes whereby many of us will be under the influence of high pressure close to the south for the time being.

I’ve been very critical of the GFS since the upgrade but the ECM has moved to it in the early stages .

We are talking here that the ECM could have been wrong at T72 hrs so given that I’m not sure it deserves to be viewed as having the correct medium term solution .

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I’ve been very critical of the GFS since the upgrade but the ECM has moved to it in the early stages .

We are talking here that the ECM could have been wrong at T72 hrs so given that I’m not sure it deserves to be viewed as having the correct medium term solution .

My thoughts entirely, not that it is worth anything.

I just don't buy the development between 72h and 120h  and  we are still seeing the output modify at 72h.

These Scandi high easterlies are notoriously fickle and there are always wobbles a plenty even if we eventually get lucky.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

If it was the old GFS I’d be more confident as from memory if often modelled that area around Greenland better that the others, usually finding a shortwave to scupper our easterly not bring us one 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes, some movement but IMO we are just headed towards a blended solution as is often the case and a blended solution in this case is not an easterly solution.

Posted
18 hours ago, Ms Rock & Blues said:

I agree, my birthday day is in February and I often get a snow treat.

Absolutely. Mine is early Jan and the opposite is true unfortunately 😂

• Like 2

Posted

One of those situations where the models play variance but unusually it is UKMO at the opposite end, GFS as normal one extreme, ECM in the middle to an extent, the divergence taking place at 120 hrs, which is just about in the reliable. I would expect some convergence in the next 24 hours, but may take a couple of days. Will GFS back away from its strong ridge to the NE development, or will the UKMO do an about turn.

As often the case we tend to see a middle ground, and this would be high pressure ridging and building into the Uk anchoring east, ending with what some call the sceuro ridge, chilly but not the deep cold some may want, whilst it will mean often dry calm weather away from the NW.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mucka said:

My thoughts entirely, not that it is worth anything.

I just don't buy the development between 72h and 120h  and  we are still seeing the output modify at 72h.

These Scandi high easterlies are notoriously fickle and there are always wobbles a plenty even if we eventually get lucky.

I agree. The ecm is a real kick in the goolies. However, like you say, this is certainly no comfort zone for the modelling, even at short notice. There's a reason why those spreads have been showing great uncertainty to our north and east. The models are struggling. Which means some volatile output at relatively short notice. 

• Like 4

Posted

Let’s hope the ECM is an outlier within the ENS, or we have at least a good percentage similar to the GFS 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards in winter Hot and sunny in summer...other is simply boring!!

image.thumb.gif.c391854c3fffd43ea775b94ffbccf5b2.gif

about as close as it gets on the EC op tonight ….feels like it’s putting us out of our misery early doors …not ready to call it another GFS horror show until we see a few more runs …..

Edited by goosey007
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

3 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

image.thumb.gif.c391854c3fffd43ea775b94ffbccf5b2.gif

about as close as it gets on the EC op tonight ….feels like it’s putting us out of our misery early doors …not ready to call it another it GFS horror show until we see a few more runs …..

I feel there's gonna be more drama - i'm not giving up on a snowy easterly yet👍

• Like 6