Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Evening everyone. 😊

Well sadly this is it… The final few hours of meteorological autumn for another year. *sigh* 

Mind you… It’s given us quite a bit! Starting off with the September heatwave, a very soggy October thanks to some named storms, and (at present) a very seasonal feeling to end November. 

So for my final post to the Autumn 2023 thread, I shall leave you with some of my favourite images that I’ve taken throughout the season. 😊

(Plus for the technically minded, I decided to go retro and shot these on 35mm! Kodak Gold 200 and a Pentax P30. 😁📷🎞️)

So until next year, farewell autumn… It was a pleasure as always. 🍃🍂🍁😊

IMG_9423.jpeg

IMG_9424.jpeg

IMG_9425.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

IMG_9427.jpeg

IMG_9428.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
9 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

Nothing so far, but a beautiful clear sky now and very cold! Just as I like it at this time of year, so no complaints from me. A snow bonus would be most welcome, of course! In some ways I find it 'satisfying' that autumn started with high summer temps, and ends with what could definitely be called winter weather!

Hope you get some of what you like too, in spite of our little differences when it gets too hot for me (!) I always enjoy your posts, mate! 🙂 

Sounds lovely, love a sunny clear autumn/winter day too…November is notoriously a dull month but I think we’ve at least had a few extra hours of sunshine than the monthly average so that’s a small positive. Can only hope next year will be a sunnier year.

Thanks for the like too @SollyOlly think that’s a first from you ha ha 🙊😋

To be honest I’m not against cold weather at all, it’s very cosy, I’d just rather not feel it in most of spring let alone summer, this spring/summer was very trying at times. Plus it’s heating costs too seeing as I refuse to be cold indoors like some poor buggers will be,  already used over £8 in energy today and would like to see some money back in spring from the £300 credit I’ve built up in energy credit but it’s not looking likely 😣

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
2 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Well that's autumn coming to an end. It's better than recent ones I have to admit. As a t-storm and warmth fan September was my favourite month out of the lot, but November has ended quite nicely too. A decent amount of sunshine with little precipitation these last few days, which is welcome to see after a very wet autumn that lead to some quite bad flooding in a number of areas by mid October.

I think many have had their sunniest November in quite a few years, about 85 hours here. @SunSean be interesting to see the sunshine table soon! 

Some of my favorite autumn foliage photos below which I've been focusing on trying to capture more of this season!

Autumn foliage 2023.png

What lovely photos , thanks for sharing them.

Think we got to about 75 hours according to Metciel, our average is 69.5, didn’t realise how historically dull November seems to be. It’s felt fairly cloudy to me but maybe my shifts have just fallen on the sunniest of days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

Krakow, last days of autumn

20231128_073712.jpg

20231128_094834.jpg

20231128_094824.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Autumn has felt very short this year what with a hot September, warm first half of October and chilly end. A bit on the wet side late October and early November but not an awful season. 

As always, there were some very atmospheric mornings!

20231117_081736.jpg

20231117_081419.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

been a very dry Autumn here just 15mm of precip since Sept 1st 

Posted

Autumn definately the shortest of the seasons, proper autumn feel lasts only about a month or so from mid Oct to third week Nov, after that it feels like winter. Indeed the bbc keep saying watch x this autumn in the last week, but by now everyone firmly has there head in winter and christmas mode. September fast becoming late summer. 

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, SunSean said:

IMBY meteorological Autumn has been very good. It was definitely on the wetter side but all 3 months had very decent amounts of sunshine and a mix of hot/warm sunny days and cold/cool crisp sunny days with also lots of amazing weather phenomena caught from Moonbows to Fire Rainbows! Arguably the best season of 2023 so far?

September - 9/10 (Enjoyed the heatwave and the thunderstorms. Best September in decades)
Ocotber  - 6/10 (Enjoyed its variety, but more sunshine would hve been nice)
November - 7/10 (It was sunny, but otherwise a borefest)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Autumn 2023, a very good autumn and a third pleasant autumn on the trot! This year I'd give it a 7.5/10 for the exceptional spells of heat in early Sep and early Oct, as well as some early cold in mid Oct and late Nov. However the rest of the autumn tended to be a little too wet for my liking, nothing unbearable like 2019 but enough to let down some of the highlights (which were really high!) of the autumn. Despite this, a good amount of sunshine and some very warm temps overall. Some great colours as well!

IMG_2864.thumb.jpeg.ad1e83475f60791632b2fb99bfb63725.jpegIMG_0941.thumb.jpeg.1ad62e30e76a20117f4e1037723e7dc7.jpeg

Edited by Sun Chaser
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Autumn has flown by, a very mixed season. I enjoyed September, it then became super wet and dull though and there was a distinct lack of the foggy, frosty conditions that I enjoy. Some cold and wet snow during the last week upped the excitement a bit. I’ll give the season a 6/10. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

If this was a good autumn, I'd hate to experience a bad one. Ridiculous uncomfortable heat to start with followed by three consecutive wetter than average months is not what I would call a good autumn. Finally had a respite from the damp with the cold spell at the end of this month, whoopie-do, but at least half this cold spell so far has been lights-on-all-day dull. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

November 2023 final sunshine table.

Respectable amounts of sunshine for many places.

A few places with questionable data have been marked with unreliable so take those stations with a pinch of salt. Reasons being, upon looking at cloud satellite imagery and nearby stations combined, they have either recorded days with full sun when it's been overcast or not recording anything despite being clear etc.

Screenshot_20231201_113352_Sheets.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A friend of mine is in Rome. Short sleeves. 20c. I am green with envy. To think that I lived there and had to move back here because you know why (the B thing)... grrrr

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

My stats are in and I concur with al78's appraisal 
Generally speaking .. marginally warmer both day and night , duller and wetter , when compared to the 1991-2020 Avg 
November , interestingly .. a proper dull fest , but drier .. Irish Sea Temps and cloud the reasoning 

image.thumb.png.59537656d77cc850350e6da205f77b30.png

Posted
5 minutes ago, SunSean said:

November 2023 final sunshine table.

Respectable amounts of sunshine for many places.

A few places with questionable data have been marked with unreliable so take those stations with a pinch of salt. Reasons being, upon looking at cloud satellite imagery and nearby stations combined, they have either recorded days with full sun when it's been overcast or not recording anything despite being clear etc.

Screenshot_20231201_113352_Sheets.jpg

Apart from its ending, November wasn't too bad...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
1 hour ago, SunnyG said:

Apart from its ending, November wasn't too bad...

Makes a nice change to get a November with a decent amount of sunshine. Just got December & Jan to get through now 🤞

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

My summary for each autumn month this year.

September - Summer returned just in time for the schools to go back (typical). A very welcome spell of weather which I enjoyed very much particularly after the disappointing summer, though the latter couple of days of the spell did feel on the humid side. After the 10th, the month was more mixed and there were a couple of stormy days later on in the month, most notably Storm Agnes on the 27th and 28th. The 20th was also a very unsettled day.

October - Started off on a quiet note, followed by an unseasonal warm spell lasting from the 6th to the 11th with temps in the mid 20s being recorded. Whilst nice, I was by this point no longer interested in that kind of setup and wanted something more appropriate for the time of year. My wish came true as that spell was followed by a much cooler but settled one with plenty of sunshine and chilly nights. Once that spell had faded, the rest of the month was more of a mixed bag. Unsettled at times but with periods of sunshine inbetween.

November - The quietest month of the season and fairly average on the most part. Sunshine amounts have been decent enough and there was a bit of a cold snap during the last few days to see out the season.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
On 29/11/2023 at 10:07, SunnyG said:

F doesn't even make sense to me. What does the zero mean for them? No idea. Same as it doesn't make sense to put the month before the day in writing down a date. 😉

It does cut both ways though, as in the benchmark for summer heat is always 100f and not 37.7778c
& winter is 0c 
Alexis mentioned about that summer heat was always Fahrenheit and winter cold was always Centigrade (Celsius)
I'm old skool so run with both 
🌞

Although it would appear, based on last summer (2022) that the new 100f is now 40c +

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

It’s the third successive season here that’s been quite poor for colours. The persistently well-above normal temperatures that persisted through the first half of the autumn lead to practically no leaf loss whatsoever up to mid October. Then it was very unsettled so most just blew off. 

I’d say I wasn’t a fan of autumn 2023. September was far too warm for me and I didn’t appreciate the heatwave. October was rainily and I like that, plus we saw some thunderstorms. November was better and felt rather typical - wet spells, some dry and sunny days, and some cold at the end. 

September: 3/10

October: 4/10

November: 7/10

Autumn: 14/30 (47%)

• Like 2

Posted

Autumn 2023 in South Derbyshire 

September🌻 8/10 - unbeatable first third, never seen a better heatwave in September, average but quite wet later on. Would have been 10/10 if second half was like 2021.

October 🎃 7/10 - warm and pleasant first third, cold and sunny middle then average and very wet for the rest of the month.

November 🍁 4/10 - completely average but a little sunnier. Nice frosty end but would have preferred earlier frost.

Posted

November finished on 74 hours of sunshine here, so slightly above average and sunnier than October which had 72 hours.

It's been a poor Autumn here. All three months were much wetter than average and the core of the season from the solstice to mid-November was relentlessly dull. It still managed to finish 1C above average mainly due to the first halves of September and October.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Thick freezing fog here this morning. The trees on the other side of this field are comfortably less than 200metres away - what trees!! 

IMG_6537.thumb.jpeg.13440b3a2b8bbf41ae6b13acaa3b5314.jpeg

linger all day here I think

• Like 1

Posted

Very cold, everything covered in thick frost that hasn’t melted since Monday. Early freezing fog clearing to blue sky. Awaiting tonight’s snow risk.