Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
10 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

As a fan of mild weather in winter would like to see a Euro high to the south centred over France thus giving a prevalence of mild SW breezes from the Azores. But having said all that if there is to be a cold intervention would like to see that late on in winter. Sorry to all the snow lovers but that's just me. 

Yup .. I'll run with that mate ... given the saturated landscape  (July , August, Sept & October well above avg rainfall - 497.2mm vs the 1991-2020 avg of 302mm for said months) .. a Bartlett would be most welcome,  perhaps a belated Indian summer?  or have we had that already ?  dressed up as a mild cloudy affair  

I'll be glad to see the back of this bleak November , just a paltry  34.3hrs of sun , again "warmer" than avg both by day and night , although this weeks colder incursion will drop night time temps a notch , rainfall though has been somewhat less than the 1991-2020 avg

image.thumb.png.af5e158383913cc6c16b53ea21996cc2.png

Data: courtesy of the Valley Met Station

Edited by StingJet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
12 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

It just missed me. It was sooo close! When was the beast from the East? I want say Sophie was around 5 so about 3 yrs?

Ah I see!

Yeah it was Feb/March 2019 I think. 

We also got some pretty thick snow in my area during the second lockdown of Covid, so early 2021. Can't remember exactly when it was, but I've got some photos on my old phone of going on winter walks with 2 friends who lived in my 'social bubble'. That whole period almost seems like a different lifetime now...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
21 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Ah I see!

Yeah it was Feb/March 2019 I think. 

We also got some pretty thick snow in my area during the second lockdown of Covid, so early 2021. Can't remember exactly when it was, but I've got some photos on my old phone of going on winter walks with 2 friends who lived in my 'social bubble'. That whole period almost seems like a different lifetime now...

BFTE was end Feb/early March 2018. 

Edited by danm
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

BFTE was end Feb/early March 2018. 

Longer than I thought then. Not seen snow since then. Sophie was 2 1/2. She's now 8.

Posted

Looks like a very breif cold snap and almost no lowland snow. Given how recent seasons have been it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the only chilly spell all winter. Was good to see GFS earlier with temps to 13-15C by the middle of next week, hopefully this comes off. 

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 4

Posted

Increasing chances that we'll experience an absolutely pointless cold snap with cold rain or the dreaded wintry mix.

"Best start to Winter since 2010" - absolute bo..ll...ox!! 

Bring on 'December 2015', with midnight temps of 15c😁👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Increasing chances that we'll experience an absolutely pointless cold snap with cold rain or the dreaded wintry mix.

"Best start to Winter since 2010" - absolute bo..ll...ox!! 

Bring on 'December 2015', with midnight temps of 15c😁👍

Indeed, Si: even back in the 1960s, snow before Xmas was a 'bonus'. Though, these days, what with Climate Change, even the old adages are getting stretched. 🤔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A winter like 2020/21 would be nice. It was a mixed winter with some great cold and snowy periods. 

A colder (but dry) than average February would make a nice change too. 👍

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Looking good to me so far today. I never pay attention to anything beyond day ten, no matter the time of year. I’m happy to see the low trending south as it will probably extend the cold spell, and fears of it being bone dry I feel will be disproved by instability. It’s such a treat to see two cold openers to December in a row! Bring it on and hopefully the winter is as cold as possible and no spring like muck until March. 🙂😌

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Here In Edmonton we are on course for the first November with no recorded snow falling since 1906..there is no snow in the forecast right out to mid December ..."im dreaming of a green Christmas"

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Here In Edmonton we are on course for the first November with no recorded snow falling since 1906..there is no snow in the forecast right out to mid December ..."im dreaming of a green Christmas"

Wouldn’t no snow through to mid-December be unprecedented? Ironically, Alaska has been absolutely whacked with their snowiest November on record, breaking the previous record of 1994 by a long way. Precipitation extremes continue to be the theme of 2023.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Wouldn’t no snow through to mid-December be unprecedented? Ironically, Alaska has been absolutely whacked with their snowiest November on record, breaking the previous record of 1994 by a long way. Precipitation extremes continue to be the theme of 2023.

yes almost unheard of..i think there has only been one recorded green Christmas in Edmonton that was in 1997..funnily enough Canadians call it a black Christmas 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
36 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Sounds like good news for those who like cold this side of the Atlantic, if only that meant definite snow, I fortunately due to our position it doesn't though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Grey day here, a couple of degrees above freezing so any laying snow has disappeared but warnings are out for possibly more than 7cm overnight locally. Some very dense patches of fog around now which I love. I certainly don’t love it dark just after 4pm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
1 hour ago, LetItSnow! said:

Looking good to me so far today. I never pay attention to anything beyond day ten, no matter the time of year. I’m happy to see the low trending south as it will probably extend the cold spell, and fears of it being bone dry I feel will be disproved by instability. It’s such a treat to see two cold openers to December in a row! Bring it on and hopefully the winter is as cold as possible and no spring like muck until March. 🙂😌

In London it will rain.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

In London it will rain.

Possibly! But last year didn't have extreme upper air temperatures and we got a real whollop. I think I have some pictures uploaded of last year. It was really magical. ❄️ I like the cold so even if it doesn't snow here, I'll be happy for anyone who does get snow - but I think we'll see at least a bit of something. 😝

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
5 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Looks like a very breif cold snap and almost no lowland snow. Given how recent seasons have been it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the only chilly spell all winter. Was good to see GFS earlier with temps to 13-15C by the middle of next week, hopefully this comes off. 

After all that hype for a 2010 repeat it really would not be good for cold fans if it turned out to be yet another record mild winter. I wouldn't mind it, but I guess I can sympathise after that garbage Spring, July and August we had.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
2 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

A winter like 2020/21 would be nice. It was a mixed winter with some great cold and snowy periods. 

A colder (but dry) than average February would make a nice change too. 👍

I'm not a huge fan of that winter, here we had a few frosts which was nice but it was very wet while a lot of the country was enjoying lots of snow. Still, I did get to see snow falling briefly on the 24th Jan although it didn't lay. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
20 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Possibly! But last year didn't have extreme upper air temperatures and we got a real whollop. I think I have some pictures uploaded of last year. It was really magical. ❄️ I like the cold so even if it doesn't snow here, I'll be happy for anyone who does get snow - but I think we'll see at least a bit of something. 😝

i remember Lodon having snow around the 12th December but that was it. Was gone by the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

The last 2 days have been dire! Cold rain & 0 hours of sun! Much prefer the cold sunny days like what we had on Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1