Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

As the AAM rises, the motion derived from it also rises so I've used the forward motion rebound deviation to show the AAM rebound, this won't show distribution but it's important for showing the AAM contributions and is much more real time than the CFS updates which seem to occur randomly and the GFS updates are only daily. However, we can't really derive a forecast from this but it shows how sharp the rising AAM has been over the last few days as the tendency is such a steep gradient. Will be important for built-up momentum if we do get that mid-Feb phase 7 response (lag probably mid-Feb).

image.thumb.png.7684a56e224e8c934479b07089d53ec8.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

What happened to a  Nino / eQbo back loaded  winter?  this one is getting worse the closer we get to Feb

The question rises for me: what about the favourable phase 6 and El Nino and the subsequent lag time? How is this picked up by the models or is it even picked up at all? I'm wondering, since we have entered phase six, so it should be visible, given the lag time of about 10 days-two weeks. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

HUGE momentum surge coming out of the tropics at the moment with a large +EAMT event leading to a rather intense Pacific jet extension, the result of this is a very above average USA. In terms of the UK - Atlantic ridging seems favoured week 2 of Feb. High latitude blocking remains elusive however, still not convinced we're going to see prolonged deep cold on the back of this.

gltaum.90day.thumb.png.7dc50bd4dd34b57335152600d31b7290.pnggfs_npac_uv200_2024012606_f042.thumb.png.3140bc5e02a37d3611e19c5fa6c20474.png

• Like 5

Posted

Nice to see gfs pull one from the top shelf 

no doubt we’ll wait another few days to see something similar 

have to say that I’m a bit surprised not to see a few more eps members end week 2 showing wintry charts 

also end week 2 beginning to see the upper spv tilting towards the pole (as an Asian warming begins to show and out some pressure on it ). This could play out like the last cycle where it rotates on this side of the pole, stretches and then potentially splits if we see a trop Atlantic  ridge punch upwards 

• Like 4

Posted

@Dennis

I don’t think it’s worth it dennis 

we can see the gefs members so able to make our own analysis - and able to see that there is no Greenland ridging thus far apart from a possible transient mid Atlantic ridge headed east   

Posted

Uodated MJO from yesterdays runs is a little more promising 

either getting a bit stuck in the area where 6 meets 7 or going into 7 at reasonable amplitude 

of course this becomes complex where the phases meet and also the month rolls over. You’d need to be looking at quite a few phase/month composites to make an approx judgement of any kind. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
15 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

12z deterministic runs, Fri 26th to Thu 1st

The GEM again takes a different path, but still ends up at the same destination for the UK: high pressure tucking us in from the south.

animtlx7.gifanimmnw3.gifanimjwz1.gif

12z ensemble means, Fri 26th to Thu 8th

We could see some brief interest from the northwest around 3rd/4th Feb, by the looks of it. Right at the end there, it looks like the Atlantic trough might begin to flatten up, making our winds more westerly than southwesterly, and the ECM might even be said to be looking rather stormy again by day 14.

animrlz7.gifanimmdd7.gifanimfxh3.gif

0z deterministic runs, Fri 26th to Fri 2nd

GEM continues its streak of maverick runs, this time sending some of the high pressure west into the Atlantic. On all the other models it's looking mostly settled down south, apart from possibly Monday/Tuesday. Would be interested to hear comments from anyone more knowledgeable about sunshine prospects?

animanx4.gifanimief3.gifanimscd2.gif

0z ensemble means, Fri 26th to Fri 9th

GEM wants to offer us some interest from the northwest around 3rd/4th Feb, but its two bigger brothers are not keen.

animlnu9.gifanimcjn5.gifanimhfa6.gif

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,GFS at last brings in the Greenland block which we have all been waiting for still in fantasy island but a start let’s hope the theme continues,will need to study the ensembles to see if the operational has not gone on walk about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
4 minutes ago, Tamara said:

It is a pity b/c there is so much going on right now both in respect of current weather patterns and, looking ahead, what is being programmed within the atmospheric circulation itself.

Indeed - I'm fascinated by how warm it could get next week. I don't want to see it but it's interesting nonetheless

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

@Dennis image.thumb.png.0b58aa116aa0e669601895063b7c20b0.pngimage.thumb.png.a04ebca08b1743e402afa76e6e4ba7c3.png

Yes the Control has a blizzard in the South East lol, at least we are starting to see promising charts in FI so there is some hope now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The op --v-- the mean in FI:

gfs-0-348.thumb.png.4f98e2c29db9e3a726a942d28967ab85.pnggens-31-1-348.thumb.png.3a6a51ae97e66df2461b63f4fe4fe2ec.png

That is one BIG outlier!

Looking at the ensemble members, zero support outside the control:

gens_panelblq8.php.png

I wonder what made the op go on a wild journey...?