Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Putting this present spell of weather into perspective, it hasn't been anywhere near as severe as 1987 or 1991 for Kent in general. In 1987 I was snowed in for 5 days and had to receive milk and bread via "drops" to local pub ! The snow was over 30cms deep with drifts in excess of six feet. Temperatures never got above -5c for several days.

In 1986 my car literally froze ( no anti-freeze ), I abandoned it until the freeze relented ( over a week ) and found the core plugs had popped out of the engine. In 1991 it snowed for three days and was several degrees below zero throughout. People were skiing in powder snow at the Warren in Gravesend. All this was in my present locale.

The current freeze has been extremely marginal, I've seen several Snow to Sleet events and temps have not dropped far below freezing even with snowcover and light winds at night.

Currently light snow is falling. Temp 0.2c DP 0.0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

As I suspected yesterday and well forecast by the Meto this one I have to say, my Jackpot zones were M3 Coridoor and M25/Surrey near to the South Downs, also chose Basingstoke so happy with that.

My fears that Wednesdays Snow will be a damp squib looks to be proving right IMBY, Although places further towards Teits or down in Kent, Sussex may get a surprise with more than they expected for today.

Tomorrow sees Sunshine and Showers and also Friday.

Sat & Sun still T72-T96

Got about 0.000023cm so happy the kids can see some snow but then was never expecting much from it anyway

Paul S

Got about 12/14 inches (30/35cm) here in North Oxfordshire and still snowing. Snowed in , no work today

Biggest snowfall here for 30 years I bet.

Posted

whats peoples views on likely amounts for Essex today please ?

deciding whether to book a day off work or not - don't mind driving in this its fine - but don't want to be driving back later after we've had a dumping (if thats what we are going to get)

won't hold you to any numbers :cold:

cheers

Guest archiesmummy

morning

no more snow here in chigwell, essex overnight but just started snowing again

so just the inch and a half on the ground from last night...

so? looking good for today................................

Posted

As a meteorology student I'm sure you can all imagine how gutting it is that I chose this week to be on holiday (ahh, poor me ha ha), with my flight due back tonight... can anyone tell me what sort of snow depths there are right now in Reading, and also what the chances of actually driving from Gatwick to Reading are in any sensible time?

Thanks, and I hope to return the favour with a future event, just don't really have the time to get all the info myself right now as I can't!

Posted

Nice streamer setting up just north of the Thames Estuary now and after a dry 6 hours the snow is lightly falling here in N Kent in Iwade.

I have a sneaky feeling these 2 features; the Wash and S East Anglia will expand and intensify as they only very slowly trundle southwards. I think Eastern Kent will hve its snow later today and especially tonight.

James

Posted

Monring all, currently have some very heavy snow here which arrived in the last hour! Have around 2 cms on the ground. Snow is very powdery in nature. Looking forward to this afternoon

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

3-4 inches so far in Brighton. Radar looks good for the day!

Posted

Just measured properly and we have just over 7ins of snow (18cms) we are just on the edge of the big snow although this a heavier fall than December by 3 ins- Just wondering about Croydon-Yamkin where are you

Posted

Hi all,

Asked this last night but didn't get anything.

Do we have any idea how the 2 bands will effect West Suffolk today?

To my untrained eye I see a few cm's after a few hours under the band?

Posted

As I suspected yesterday and well forecast by the Meto this one I have to say, my Jackpot zones were M3 Coridoor and M25/Surrey near to the South Downs, also chose Basingstoke so happy with that.

My fears that Wednesdays Snow will be a damp squib looks to be proving right IMBY, Although places further towards Teits or down in Kent, Sussex may get a surprise with more than they expected for today.

Tomorrow sees Sunshine and Showers and also Friday.

Sat & Sun still T72-T96

Got about 0.000023cm so happy the kids can see some snow but then was never expecting much from it anyway

Paul S

Hi Paul

Faired even worse than you from this....zilch! :wallbash: Do you think thats our lot for some real decent snowfall for our part of the world? I'm not expecting much from the trough today and like you say with showers we could get lucky from the odd shower. The real fly in the oinment (which has been others pleasure) is that low! I wish it would just move along! I can't quite believe the pretty special synoptics we are in, yet have'nt seen a single flake! :cold:

Posted

Monring all, currently have some very heavy snow here which arrived in the last hour! Have around 2 cms on the ground. Snow is very powdery in nature. Looking forward to this afternoon

Yes the band around Colchester to Chelmsford had developed in the past couple of hours and is still intensifying. It

doesnt seem to be moving anywhere either so I would suggest peeps currently in this area will get a nice fall in the next few hours.

Posted

No precip in Clacton as yet according to the fiancee, although here in Brentwood approx 2.5cm cover with light winds - beautiful! Just hope it doesn't kick in too badly before I can leave and get home...

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Have around 6cm near the centre of Tunbridge Wells, been on the edge of the heavier snow to the W for much of the night. Snowing lightly now on the edge. Current temp -0.6°C.

Front dropping S across E Anglia from the N Sea this afternoon should bring further snow across the SE this afternoon, with some intensification as it arrives in the SE, not clearing until the early hours.

Bbc news 24 forecast

Snow moving down from the north , could give 2-5cm and upto 10cm on the downs - lasting into the night.

She also said This morning it's a west - east split but later the east will get the snow

Posted

Looks like another band is developing around Essex.

This was suggested by the NMM with the band over Essex remaining stationary and being joined by the band to the N. I might be wrong but I feel S parts of this region could do very well later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Just measured properly and we have just over 7ins of snow (18cms) we are just on the edge of the big snow although this a heavier fall than December by 3 ins- Just wondering about Croydon-Yamkin where are you

Not bad about 4 Inches on untouched areas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

No precip in Clacton as yet according to the fiancee, although here in Brentwood approx 2.5cm cover with light winds - beautiful! Just hope it doesn't kick in too badly before I can leave and get home...

i can be your hero bay-be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Thanks Paul

... not wishing to be greedy but can you pull Basingstoke out of the hat again for a top-up in a few days time.

19cm at the mo and snowing moderately

Seriously, how lucky has Basingstoke been this winter? A massive dump last month, an probably an even bigger one last night! Lucky sods! ;-)

Posted

Temp rising here still. 0.4c DP 0.0. Really borderline now even with 83m elevation in Shorne. Anybody know when these DP's are going to fall back?

Posted

Band of snow currently stretching from Colchester-Chelmsford area is showing signs of intensifying. I'd expect a few inches in these areas come late morning.

Posted

Band of snow currently stretching from Colchester-Chelmsford area is showing signs of intensifying. I'd expect a few inches in these areas come late morning.

Snowing moderately here, not sure how long it will last before it moves south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Not too much added here overnight...about 4cm with snow still falling steadily.

Primary school is open but senior school is closed! Son very disappointed and daughter happy but then she's just without notice vomited all over the kitchen floor...so a bit of household chaos! Seems she would not have been going in anyway and though she says she now feels fine, not really inclined to let her out.

Forecasts I'm hearing on radio seem a big downgrade on yesterday... where's the lot tha was coming down fromm the north to merge in with yesterdays band?

Posted

Looks like another band is developing around Essex.

This was suggested by the NMM with the band over Essex remaining stationary and being joined by the band to the N. I might be wrong but I feel S parts of this region could do very well later.

Totally agree with this TEITS. I think we will see renewed Meto warnings for East Anglia in the next few hours. This band is also giving us snow here in N Kent. Could get very interesting later on this afternoon and this evening as I feel this is where the main focus of snowfall will be. I think some places will hit 10cms from this and maybe as much as 15cms with elevation in N Kent overnight.

James