Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

You are in my exact line but to the west. I think this next one could be a beauty!

will let you know, but current hit enjoyable, snaw coming down at 45° in the stiff breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

More snow on here, although pretty tame. Looks like Argyll and Bute, Stirling, Fife, Perthshire, Dundee etc. will take another big hit from the fronts in the next hour but the next one looks more like a 'vertical' front coming in from Ireland so it might just manage to stay far enough south to affect areas further south. Nonetheless, while it isn't much this is the biggest fall I've seen in Edinburgh (possibly was more early December) since one night in late March 2013 when I walked out of Hive at 2am into a blizzard. Those synoptics still seem a very long way removed even with this cold (which is proof that cold zonality can still do a decent job at delivering), but with still another 2 months of decent snow potential left it's been a fairly alright winter, with the potential for mid-late winter to tip us into the colder and snowier than average category still. December came in at 3.1C, which is marginally above average although just barely, and in fact it comes in as colder than December 2000. And still there's a decent chance of more snow tomorrow morning:

15011412_1318.gif 15011409_1318.gif

and then it's not long at all until we're back in the 'pink' again:

15011600_1318.gif

And then more interest into next week - slack troughiness, which is always good for either deep cold or deep snow (or both), looks likely no matter what the longer term outlook is, as does some sort of easterly flow:

gfs-0-102.png?18 gfs-0-156.png?18 gfs-0-138.png?18 ECM1-168.GIF?13-0 UW144-21.GIF?13-18

So all in all, an enjoyable spell of weather, plenty of falling snow, some lying snow, plenty of storms too if you're that way inclined - even N13's happy  :laugh:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Up to about 14cm here and heavy snow back on.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Temperature has went up slightly here now at 1.4/-0.8. Had a shower over the last half an hour but it was light with nothing lying. I think even the very small dusting earlier has vanished. Looking at the radar I think it's going to be dry here for at least a couple of hours because the southerly component of the wind seems to be taking that band to the north of here and if you assume that all of the showers in the Atlantic travel ENE then there isn't anything heading this way anytime soon. Turning into another disappointing night for here.

I'm used to it though. Those 2 really cold winters 09/10 and 10/11 made me think this area had turned a corner but the years since have provided just as much disappointment as the years before them in terms of lying snow. Only March 2013 has had anything more than 1cm since. I don't think I'll be beating that tonight

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Yep I was despairing after Last week. I hope the snow survives the mild blip.Can't complain Jan has been nae bad so far.

• Like 2

Posted

Bairn the later batch out on the Clyde coast should hit us.Its elongated so will still hit even tracking north east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Whoop, whoop, snow for my birthday.

• Like 7

Posted

Not happy! I knew the snow would hit when I was away this week! Ah well... :-)

Edit: Radar suggests SW Edinburgh isn't actually seeing much tonight as ppn further north?

Edit 2: Nope... Re-reading posts suggests home has seen snowfall so back to not being happy. Luxembourg is mild, drizzly and pish!

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny

N13 hope so. Hope I wake up to white in the morning. I'm going to Dunblane tomorrow night so even if turns milder tomorrow afternoon, there should still be some lying if there's 20cm lying just now. Cloudy and 1.6/-1.0 now. Would be better if the skies had cleared to allow the temperature to drop a little more

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

No lying snow in Glasgow. There were a couple of light showers earlier in the evening.

Posted

Chilly out there...watching radar just now, and in my humble opinion, it looks like it's all going to miss the Central Belt completely..though there is a big band currently out over N Ireland, that may just catch Glasgow...

Certainly, there's been nothing here for the last few hours...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well we've had no more snow overnight but we have a covering and that's better than nothing.

Not sure we'll be seeing much other than rain later.

I am going to enjoy what we have. Going to get wee one out to do a mini snowman before school.

Loving all your amazing snowy pics .

No lying snow in Glasgow. There were a couple of light showers earlier in the evening.

I can feel yer pain GB!! We've not even had light showers, let alone anything accumulating. At least the charts look more promising for some areas later on in the month :D

Posted

Yep nothing since last night.Hope that band moves in soon.

Yep nothing since last night.Hope that band moves in soon.

The main part of the band looks like going to the south of Glasgow, although after years of radar watching it's safe to say that precip never does what it "looks like" doing :D :D

BBC Scotland still going for amber warning snow during rush hour....

What time do they think rush hour is?

Posted

The main part of the band looks like going to the south of Glasgow, although after years of radar watching it's safe to say that precip never does what it "looks like" doing :D :D

What time do they think rush hour is?

Just had another radar look....that main clump seems to be heading to Ayrshire. Wait and see....