Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
1 hour ago, SussexSnowman said:

Absolutely agree. My parents says the same thing of that period that its a huge conception Britain's winters of yesterday were always snowy. The only winter I can recall where there was more than 1 snow event or more than 2 days of cold weather in a row was over the winter of 2010/11 and the weatherbomb of Feb 2018.  Snow days are rarities down my neck of the woods and usually as quickly as the snow lays it thaws by the evening. I'd gladly take just 1 snow day and consider that good fortune. Last winter I didn't actually mind. Had quite a lot of single digit temp days and whilst just out of reach of the snow, I'd take a dry winter over a damp squib winter. 

We'll be either fortunate or unfortunate (depending on one's preference) to see winters of 1947 or 1963 again. UK just has the rotten luck of being out of reach for the prolonged cold and first in line for the weather fronts off the Atlantic. 

It was fun getting slightly excited by the outside chance of a white Xmas and that's all it was. Was never a nailed on certainty. I think there's too much of a lofty expectation that Britain are 'due' a prolonged cold winter from certain corners. 

I think given what’s happened these past two years, something close to anything like a 1947 or 62/63 would be almost catastrophic. You have to bear in mind that most people born after 1963 haven’t experienced a winter on that scale, not even 79 or 87 was a bad in comparison, and we can barely cope with the level of severity from the last two I mentioned, which have only been equalled or better during the snowy era of 2008-13. 

• Like 2

Posted

We'll,another farcical chase. I wonder if we'll ever chase a great day 10 chart down and it actually happens.......

Even the MO were drawn in.

Time for another break.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Wingman Blue said:

Agree entirely. If you’re unfortunate to live close to a southern tidal area, you won’t get many snowy nirvanas but even central Birmingham saw some harsh winters between 62 and 89.

It was a regular news bulletin in the 1970’s that the StaffordshireMoorlands were cut off, all roads blocked.

Even remember Christmas Eve 1968 (I think), at my grandparents house in Gravesend Kent, watching the snow coming down thick and fast to a depth of 10” (I used my school ruler to measure it).

’63 was something else, I was off school for over a month, for a time even the buses weren’t running in suburban Birmingham. They were tipping the coal wagons at Saltley gas works and the load would come out as a single solid lump, sometimes with the wagon floor still attached!

Yes, winters before the twenty-year warm blip from 88, really were better!

I think whatever brought the Great Storm of October 1987 has something to do with the shift to warmer temps post 1987. 

The origin of that storm, was probably caused by whatever was changing in the atmosphere during late 1987.

Posted
24 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Lots of mild weather on the horizon down this end. Lovely stuff 

Followed by another awful summer with grey laden skies with 21-22c maxes. Lovely, not!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Followed by another awful summer with grey laden skies with 21-22c maxes. Lovely, not!

Maybe..i'm sure the guys that post their daily charts (winter) will be saying something different.

Edited by Weatherman_93

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

I am completely devastated by the events of the last 12 hours. It is a travesty! 
I am shocked at the poor performance of these multi-million-pound supercomputers.
Everything looked brilliant days ago, and now it has gone pear-shaped.  
I am becoming concerned about this Winter; people have suggested that this failure is due to the high solar activity that won't be decreasing in the near future. 
My only hope is that we have a significant record-breaking SSW in January. I pray/hope that this leads to masses of northern blocking and apocalyptic type snow events, with snow measured in feet.
Overall, I am exhausted and saddened by the events of the past few days.

Edited by Midlander
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
Just now, Midlander said:

I am shocked at the poor performance of these multi-million-pound supercomputers.

Overall, I am exhausted and saddened by the event of the past few days.

I'm sure there are more important things to be shocked or saddened at. Or is this a wind up?!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Sun
8 minutes ago, Midlander said:

I am completely devastated by the events of the last 12 hours. It is a travesty! 
I am becoming concerned about this Winter; people have suggested that this failure is due to the high solar activity that won't be decreasing in the near future. 
My only hope is that we have a significant record-breaking SSW in January. I pray/hope that this leads to masses of northern blocking and apocalyptic type snow events, with snow measured in feet.

I think you're  forgetting how the weather works. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Please....not another dose of that next summer. That was majorly depressing seeing 8/8 cloud cover day after day in June and July like a drab winter high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Followed by another awful summer with grey laden skies with 21-22c maxes. 

Heaven!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters, Warm Summers.

I think ive worn out the ignor button, most action its had since 2013/14 winter this morning! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Must admit the weather this last three or four months has been unusually quiet, bland and very boring so much so that it’s been hardly worth talking about apart from the turbulent low pressure systems from a few weeks ago. Now the models have flipped to a much more mild outcome now that they finally made up there minds it looks like we are going have to endure more boring uninteresting cloudy weather for some more weeks into the new year . Ah well roll on Spring it might be more interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold
15 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

I'm sure there are more important things to be shocked or saddened at. Or is this a wind up?!

Of course, but it is still crushing to have your hopes dashed. I just needed to express my anger so I thought this thread would be best suited 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
19 minutes ago, Midlander said:

You need to hibernate for a month or so after Christmas there might be something interesting on the horizon… like Valentines Day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Typical that the coldest  morning in a while is on the day before it's supposed to turn much milder.

Weather has been boring for an eternity, outlook looks largely boring too. This could end up being one of the most boring winter months in a long time!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
12 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

In this country, proper cold days are relatively few and far between nowadays.

Perhaps if cold winters were still as common as they used to be, then people would be more accustomed to the cold so wouldn't whinge as much when it does get that way? I can't help but notice that those who complain about the cold are often (but not always) younger adults. Though there are of course exceptions, as I am a younger adult who doesn't mind the cold. 

Not at all criticising as we are all different. Just an observation.

Yes, maybe.  I do think as some others have observed both December 2019/January 2010 and  December 2010 set the standard, possibly an unrealistic standard?   Winters do appear to be getting milder - horrid muggy mild crap.  I can remember some fabulous snow events over winters past - so much frivolity had by all - horses and cats playing in it - great fun.  As a child I can also recall the patterns jack frost left on my bedroom window - central heating came later.  I’m too old to contemplate emigrating anywhere now but I did have an American boyfriend in the 1990’s who asked me to go back to Wisconsin with him when he left the UK.  I didn’t go obviously but the Wisconsin winter snow sounded divine.   

• Like 1

Posted

Bored with this cold malarky - now looking forward to some nice spring like walks in the sun? next week ,finishing off with a pint or 2 outside at a local hostelry

Edited by cobbett

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I think whatever brought the Great Storm of October 1987 has something to do with the shift to warmer temps post 1987. 

The origin of that storm, was probably caused by whatever was changing in the atmosphere during late 1987.

Personally think it was a natural 20-year cycle.  I think 1930-50 was a particularly cold term, though I wasn’t there to see it!

Posted
5 minutes ago, mathematician said:

This global warming has destroyed one of the few nice hobbies left. I'm almost tempted to give it up entirely...

In Darlington you usually have more luck than most people! I was born in Darlington, btw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

To quote Mr Churchill:  'Never in the field of human meteorological model watching was so many charts, runs, ensembles posted and viewed by so many with any remotely cold snowy outcome for so few' 

What a shocker the last week or so looks like becoming! To be honest last winter wasn't bad but always got the feeling in the now 'GW Winters' with the synoptics of 20/21 we would have had a colder snowy outcome more nationwide not just that week in February (in my back yard) - perhaps just not enough cold air on tap at certain latitudes now days...

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

So basically the charts have been laughing at us all the last 10days  even the most experienced weather forecaster was mugged right off....however GFS last few days was not having it at times and predicted way above temps...this has to be the most laughable thing that has ever happened since I joined on here well over 10 years ago....Now looking at record breaking temps possible for year end

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, jvenge said:

In Darlington you usually have more luck than most people! I was born in Darlington, btw.

I don't know, basically our only hope for snow in winter is a easterly, and the city is somehow protected by the sorrounding hills, so it's dryer than what people thinks.

It's a nice city overall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think given what’s happened these past two years, something close to anything like a 1947 or 62/63 would be almost catastrophic. You have to bear in mind that most people born after 1963 haven’t experienced a winter on that scale, not even 79 or 87 was a bad in comparison, and we can barely cope with the level of severity from the last two I mentioned, which have only been equalled or better during the snowy era of 2008-13. 

Quite agree. Now would not be the best for 1947 1962/63 winter event. I'd go further and probably say we'd have the same issues we did with those winters with an infrastructure not built to cope with such an extreme event. I've not experienced a prolonged winter of cold weather. One recent event was March 2012 when certainly here in the South East it barely got in double digits and was a cold month in general. 

I think many of us would welcome and enjoy a few days of snow in a winter, but I think going above that might be a bit too much for my liking. Friend of mine in Canada is fed up with snow by the 2nd week of winter  and she faces months of it. So it is a case of too much of it can spoil it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

The Met Office still seems to be going for a return to cold after Christmas Day, though perhaps not in the south until the new year. The GFS 06Z on the other hand offers no interest except perhaps around Boxing Day, and almost suggests one of the mildest starts to January on record, with no cold air of any sort, even a brief NW-ly, in the first week. 00Z is better at the end of the run, as it replaces the Tm clag with a northwesterly around the 6th, followed by a high which presumably will be 'clean' i.e. bright and frosty, unlike the recent one.

Winter is a trial, I think I've accepted this. December and January rarely produce anything interesting - rather like August in the summer, although August is obviously inherently much more pleasant due to the longer days, higher sun elevation and lower humidity. At least February, if it doesn't snow, stands a realistic chance down here of producing pleasant spring-like weather.

Edited by Summer8906