Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Genuinely, no exaggeration, this year has made me question whether or not I want to (or more accurate will be able to, from a perspective of mental well-being), deal with this country's climate until the end of my days. I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering looking into options for emigration in the near-ish future. 

11c and endless cloud nearly halfway into the year. Nonsense.

It's just so grim, and as someone whose mood and productivity is strongly impacted by the sunshine, Britain is probably one of the worst climates in the world for my wellbeing.

Even Scandinavia surpasses us for sunshine levels and they also get far more interesting winters to boot. 

Sure, we get years like 2022 that make you re-think and go "Hmm, maybe Britain's climate isn't actually *that* bad!?" but they're few and far between and then it's back to reality.

Let's be honest, most years see more or less the same dross for 8/9 months of the year, with temperatures and weather barely different between May and November / December. 10-15c and overcast. You can only really tell the difference due to the daylight hours. 

I enjoy camping and hiking, I like sunsets and sunrises, I like the beach. This...just ain't it, guys.

At my wit's end honestly. Need a long holiday or ticket off this island.

Absolutely 100% the same and this year especially have found it really affecting my mood quite frequently. The default 10-12C completely overcast nothing days are just miserable and depressing. It’s mid May and you can literally count on one hand the number of good weather days we’ve had so far this spring, and absolutely zero days I would consider genuinely warm and can’t recall a single day with sun all day. Today is supposed to be a better day, and yet it’s lunchtime and still overcast and chilly. Seriously frustrating. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Fog, Frost, Storms and Rain if it rains like it means it.
1 hour ago, NYCSnow said:

Absolutely 100% the same and this year especially have found it really affecting my mood quite frequently. The default 10-12C completely overcast nothing days are just miserable and depressing. It’s mid May and you can literally count on one hand the number of good weather days we’ve had so far this spring, and absolutely zero days I would consider genuinely warm and can’t recall a single day with sun all day. Today is supposed to be a better day, and yet it’s lunchtime and still overcast and chilly. Seriously frustrating. 

Saw your post yesterday, and yep, you were right: originally the cloud was forecast to clear about midday and it has been pushed back to 2pm and now 4/5pm...grrrr. I was really looking forward to a pleasant and warm afternoon. Living in an old cottage, it takes a good few days of warmth for the inside to warm up. It's still damn cold indoors and although I am not fond of too much heat I too am seriously fed up with what seems to be endless chill and gloom. Can't recall such a long run of interminably dull weather. Harrumph! 😡

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Yes although western and southern areas have sun it seems to take an age to burn back for central/eastern areas..

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Land, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Storm

..you would think that the power of the sun at this time of year would clear the clag quicker !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Yes although western and southern areas have sun it seems to take an age to burn back for central/eastern areas..

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Land, Plant, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Storm

..you would think that the power of the sun at this time of year would clear the clag quicker !!

Not when there's a stiff NE wind continually bringing the cack in off the sea.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
13 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Not when there's a stiff NE wind continually bringing the cack in off the sea.

Yes....what a pain stiff NE winds are at this time of year !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Forecasters must have egg on their faces, as while it's been sunny and warm here all day currently 17c, central and Eastern areas are cold and cloudy while they promised sun and 20c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, NYCSnow said:

I know it seems a bit hyperbolic but outside of outlier good years like 2020 or summer 2022, it's just months on end of overcast and 10-13c or so. Same weather in December as middle of May. 

I usually perk up around April but I'm just so low energy and low mood this year and I know for a fact it's directly tied to the weather. 

Some folks may be able to smile through it and have the same mood/energy levels regardless of the weather but I personally can't. If I don't get proper sun for months I get really down and feel like there's no point in going outside. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Tis lovely ooop north, just sayin’ 🤗

Drove to Yorkshire to find some sunshine ☀️ and for other reasons but what a joy…blue sky and actually feels like May not September! 

Could contain: Ground, Countryside, Farm, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Pasture, Rural, Horizon, Sky

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

Definitely a poor forecast outcome for here in Surrey sun never broke through …! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer sunshine

It’s been a lovely and pleasantly warm afternoon here in Redhill/Nutfield area, so much so I’ve managed catch the sun whilst washing cars and cutting the grass and now bathed in after sun cream! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Imby the cloud broke eventually yesterday to give some sunny spells around 17.00, but overall a poor performance from the hi-res models and the forecasting organisations. I looked at several models in the morning and they were all forecasting the clag pushed back to the coast of Norfolk by early afternoon. It would be interesting to understand the 'technical' reason for the failure to clear.

I'm more optimistic about some warm sunshine today for the simple reason that the wind is backing around from N'ly at 08.00 to NW'ly by 11.00 and to a W'ly by 14.00. That should hopefully ensure the clag is pushed away by early afternoon for most. It may not be completely clear blue sky as high cloud ahead of the cold front moving in from the west shows its hand. But even if sunshine is hazy, at this time of year and without the cold wind off the North Sea, it should feel very pleasant out later.

Change of wind direction:

GFSwind14May08_00.thumb.GIF.3341da1a778fd8f6ffdd96d519478ea2.GIFGFSwind14May11_00.thumb.GIF.36535ca4a55bd2e15e45210a22d010a1.GIFGFSwind14May14_00.thumb.GIF.dbec2be7971027273ecfdde6b1a93f19.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
14 hours ago, Snowangel-MK said:

Tis lovely ooop north, just sayin’ 🤗

Drove to Yorkshire to find some sunshine ☀️ and for other reasons but what a joy…blue sky and actually feels like May not September! 

Could contain: Ground, Countryside, Farm, Field, Nature, Outdoors, Pasture, Rural, Horizon, Sky

Wow! Almost forgotten what that looks/feels like to be honest. Looks photoshopped because of how unaccustomed to seeing pure blue like that I am. 

Posted

Today, a continuation of yesterday. Endless white/grey as if we were in a giant Tupperware box.

Very cool 9/10c, feeling like early March. 

Never seen a spring like this in my part of the world. 

Posted
1 minute ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Today, a continuation of yesterday. Endless white/grey as if we were in a giant Tupperware box.

Very cool 9/10c, feeling like early March. 

Never seen a spring like this in my part of the world. 

Same here in northants. App showing it being brighter by 11am. Be amazed if that happens.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Rammie said:

Same here in northants. App showing it being brighter by 11am. Be amazed if that happens.

It'll be the same as yesterday where they just keep bumping back the cloud-clearing  on an hourly basis because they have zero clue when it's gonna dissipate. 

I can see that western areas are already nearly clear again and it's not even 10am. Sky here in London / Essex looks like printing paper. Same pattern as yesterday. 

This won't shift until evening. 

Very similar set up to 2021. Western and North Western areas generally sunny, but eastern and particularly south eastern areas just in constant thick cloud. 

Posted
Just now, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It'll be the same as yesterday where they just keep bumping back the cloud-clearing  on an hourly basis because they have zero clue when it's gonna dissipate. 

I can see that western areas are already nearly clear again and it's not even 10am. Sky here in London / Essex looks like printing paper. Same pattern as yesterday. 

This won't shift until evening. 

Very similar set up to 2021. Western and North Western areas generally sunny, but eastern and particularly south eastern areas just in constant thick cloud. 

Indeed. It's just updated, and moved it to Midday, but then back to no sun again for 1 2 3 4pm 😐

Posted
1 minute ago, Rammie said:

Indeed. It's just updated, and moved it to Midday, but then back to no sun again for 1 2 3 4pm 😐

Lol. Like clockwork. How does that work, I wonder? Sun at midday then no sun for the rest of the day? Nonsense.

They don't have a clue, the amount of money invested in these machines and I can give a more accurate prediction of what the day will be by sticking my head out the window.

Today's forecast for London / SE - cloudy, max of 15/16c. Simples.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.
11 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Lol. Like clockwork. How does that work, I wonder? Sun at midday then no sun for the rest of the day? Nonsense.

They don't have a clue, the amount of money invested in these machines and I can give a more accurate prediction of what the day will be by sticking my head out the window.

Today's forecast for London / SE - cloudy, max of 15/16c. Simples.

Might be a bit better today, it’s 10 am and already brighter here than this time yesterday, cloud seems to be thinning more readily. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Posted
4 minutes ago, NYCSnow said:

Might be a bit better today, it’s 10 am and already brighter here than this time yesterday, cloud seems to be thinning more readily. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

You're quite west of me in Aldershot, I'm over in far east London, basically Essex.

The pattern atm is that "west is best" and the cloud is lingering in the East and refusing to budge. 

My friend in West London had sun yesterday afternoon for example whilst my neck of the woods was as grey as a pigeons bottom despite only being 45 mins or so drive away 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Surprised as to how stubborn the cloud is, offshore wind and strong May sunshine should burn this away readily, but alas….

Posted
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Surprised as to how stubborn the cloud is, offshore wind and strong May sunshine should burn this away readily, but alas….

Indeed. 2022 broke records for sun and warmth.

2023 may break records for cloudiness. Well on track to be the dullest May on record in London unless the final week sees basically 7 days of unbroken sunshine and 20c+.

Posted

sun breaking through here in SE london, 12C out there. but my throat is already itchy and am sneezing from waking this morning, so pollen round here must be high.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Even down in this corner of the country it's taking awhile to burn back :drunk-emoji:

Posted

Oh ye of little patience! 😄 It's burning back nicely now and I reckon London, indeed most of us, will soon be bathed in sunshine.

Earlier at 08.50 Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Storm, Sea Waves, Hurricane, Plant Latest at 11.25 Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Plant

• Like 1

Posted

Finally! I think everyone who's been shivering under the murk all weekend deserves this wonderful afternoon of warm sunshine. 😎

14.05 Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Plant, Vegetation, Land, Rainforest, Storm, Hurricane

• Like 2