Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

The continual changing of the geographical position of Scandinavia never ceases to amaze me 😎 It appears to move to wherever the high pressure is.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
10 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

February 14th it will be 14c

That's not warm!

10 hours ago, Don said:

Is that all?! 🥺

🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days
12 hours ago, winterof79 said:

Heaven knows whats happened to the Mod thread.

One liners Galore nowadays.Drama queens all over.

Its like a manic depressive thread 

Even Nick Sussex dragged into looking at worst case scenario every post.

Had all that drama prior to the cold spell and snow in December. Lesson from that was it can change on short notice days leading up to the event. 

Constant rinse and repeat in that thread. I admire the knowledge in there, but crikey one bad day of models and it’s like someone crapped in their cornflakes.

Thats the thing with the weather, it’s unpredictable! So expect the good and the bad in equal measures and you’ll never be disappointed.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Well, I’m glad this thread has lightened up🤗….it was starting to look like the MAD thread for a while there, what with all the wrankling over cold preferences….🤯. Had a few smiles this morning tho, thanks ☺️ 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
32 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Well, I’m glad this thread has lightened up🤗….it was starting to look like the MAD thread for a while there, what with all the wrankling over cold preferences….🤯. Had a few smiles this morning tho, thanks ☺️ 

Apparently 'notebook' follows winter 😂😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
47 minutes ago, Wold Topper said:

Apparently 'notebook' follows winter 😂😂

😆 You never know!..…climate change & all that! Let’s see what the groundhog says 😜😜

and it does👍🏼, btw @alexisj9

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Not sure if it's just me but I am really enjoying the lack of rain for the last 2 weeks.

Not only is it helping to reduce flooding issues from earlier last month, but I'm not getting soaked cycling to the gym each day. 

Next 7-10 days remains very dry as well. 

A somewhat rarity in the middle of winter. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I hate days like the last couple of days. It starts off sunny then quickly clouds over and stays like that all day until just before it gets dark when the sun comes out again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Metwatch said:

Not sure if it's just me but I am really enjoying the lack of rain for the last 2 weeks.

Not only is it helping to reduce flooding issues from earlier last month, but I'm not getting soaked cycling to the gym each day. 

Next 7-10 days remains very dry as well. 

A somewhat rarity in the middle of winter. 

As we have had plenty of rain of late, I currenly have no complaints about this much drier period and it's nice to see the sun as well (though it did cloud over this afternoon). I don't want either dry periods or wet periods to go on for weeks on end though. I am hoping the weather during 2023 will be far more balanced than it was during 2022.

It would be nice to have a named storm before winter is out as well, as we still yet to have one.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
On 31/01/2023 at 01:05, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

We still haven't had a named storm yet this season. 

Here's hoping that 2023 doesn't end up being much like 2022. I like the weather to balanced out and varied as opposed to having weeks on end of the same thing, no matter what it is. For the timebeing, I am happy with having no rain as we have had plenty just lately. But after several weeks of being predominently dry, I get bored with that too.

The lack of named storms has certainly been an odd one. It's helping to make the Met Office's A-Z of names look even more daft than usual, given I don't think we've ever even made it a third of the way through the alphabet (have we even made it a quarter of the way through?). Just to be clear, I'm not saying I disagree with the naming of storms, despite how it sounds 😂.

Yep, 2020 wasn't a great one. Long, long periods of nothing-ness. The tropical conditions in August with popcorn storms firing up out of nowhere at 10 in the evening was very unique though! Not that I actually experienced any night-time storms overhead that year (I lived in NE Hants at the time, but it was the same story here on the IOW).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, ResonantChannelThunder said:

The lack of named storms has certainly been an odd one. It's helping to make the Met Office's A-Z of names look even more daft than usual, given I don't think we've ever even made it a third of the way through the alphabet (have we even made it a quarter of the way through?). Just to be clear, I'm not saying I disagree with the naming of storms, despite how it sounds 😂.

Yep, 2020 wasn't a great one. Long, long periods of nothing-ness. The tropical conditions in August with popcorn storms firing up out of nowhere at 10 in the evening was very unique though! Not that I actually experienced any night-time storms overhead that year (I lived in NE Hants at the time, but it was the same story here on the IOW).

It's only the few thunderstorms, and there really haven't been that many, along with Storm Eunice last year that I could really say have been interesting here over the last few years. It's been a really lengthy spell of little interest in these parts at least. 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

I wonder what the teleconnections thought of March 2006? 

That was a very cold March and very snowy but no beast from the East. 

That must be local to Scotland, as are most snow events. Nothing down here in March 2006.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
32 minutes ago, RhHh said:

That must be local to Scotland, as are most snow events. Nothing down here in March 2006.

Scotland covers half the country. But March 2006 was very cold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

Covers half the country but only 15% of the population. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

Wales and NI had a lot of snow in March 2006 as well! Look West/NWest people it's delivered well this year 😀❄️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
27 minutes ago, Cymro said:

Wales and NI had a lot of snow in March 2006 as well! Look West/NWest people it's delivered well this year 😀❄️

It's not the south east of England so never happend

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

Do we ever get to name a storm? I thought that the Irish or French named them and we borrowed it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, RhHh said:

Do we ever get to name a storm? I thought that the Irish or French named them and we borrowed it.

Since about 5 or 6 years ago, the UK MO do have an annual A - Z, yes, and will name storms when applicable. This has become blended with borrowing French/Irish names too when their services have already named a system first.

As a fairly recent example; this time last year, Eunice and Franklin occurred within the same Friday - Monday period, and both were named by our Met Office.

• Like 1

Posted

The Irish naming system is the same one we use but as storms usually come from the Atlantic it's not unusual for storms to be named by them. The French one is different but if a storm named by them affects us it keeps the name they gave it. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, matt111 said:

The Irish naming system is the same one we use but as storms usually come from the Atlantic it's not unusual for storms to be named by them. The French one is different but if a storm named by them affects us it keeps the name they gave it. 

Ah yes, of course. I'd somehow forgotten that they'd teamed up on that front! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
3 hours ago, Ladyofthestorm said:

Scotland covers half of Scotland? 😕

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
14 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Scotland covers half of Scotland? 😕

Scotland covers half the UK.  It was as a moved post from another thread with reference to March 2006.  

• Like 1