Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Could contain: Outdoors, Accessories, Nature

Does it get any worse ?

Can't see what the problem is with that chart. Clearly the trough in the Atlantic is weakening and moving South - heights heading towards Scandi and weakish heights heading out of Canada and NA. 

To me, that's a better pattern for day 10, with a short lived cold snap on offer if it went out further.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.
10 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Cold high over the pole, vortex split all over the shop, jet stream looking more amplified etc. 

Id expect the high to ridge over us towards Iceland on the next frame

spacer.png

Trust me, my Spidey senses are tingling for this. 😂

I would agree, although, timing wise, a slight delay in the drop of that second trough would perhaps give a bit more confidence?

The continued absence of a powerful TPV in its usual location remains the most interesting thing going forward.
This leaves opportunities for a more meridional flow, with troughs digging South.

No typical +NAO setting in, even if that doesn't directly mean "Cold IMBY." It could even bring very mild temperatures our way, but in the long run that can flip.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Uninspiring output at the moment, typical westerly fare...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

European variant of the NAO shows good support for it to remain positive in the GFS ens...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
16 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Uninspiring output at the moment, typical westerly fare...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

European variant of the NAO shows good support for it to remain positive in the GFS ens...

This is somewhat true but a hell of a lot of scatter. Image 1 from a couple of days ago.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Edit: Just seen your locations, would be good to see those.

Edited by Stuie W

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

JMA develops a nice little wedge to our NE - something's brewing I think🤔

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Nature, Pattern, Art

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

A few runs appearing up North pushing that -10 line..and further South more of a colder cluster than what we have seen the last couple of days.

Give it another couple of days and I feel we may start to see a colder trend emerge.

A very positive evening to you all.

Could contain: Smoke Pipe, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

excited-its-christmas.gif

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

That's a damn sight better than EC

It's the best chart we've seen in a while for sure.

The ECM has potential at day 10 to go on develop something along the same lines. 👍

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

ECM46  still looks interesting in the later weeks, but can we give it any weight?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Banana, Produce, Plant, Fruit, Food

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature, Face, Person, Head

I guess its how you interoperate them, to me week 3 isnt that far off week 1 for our neck of the woods,  nothing to get my interest up there.

Posted
3 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Sorry to say. No signal for SSW or significant weakening of the stratospheric vortex.  Above 40 m/s is considered strong. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map

The disconnect is still there going by this chart. Raging up top but nothing too far above average at the most lower down and most of the time a little below average

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 minutes ago, KTtom said:

I guess its how you interoperate them, to me week 3 isnt that far off week 1 for our neck of the woods,  nothing to get my interest up there.

4, 5 and 6 look good

Still noise at this point of, course, but the 2nd half of the EC46 still looks good

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

My only crumb of comfort for everyone in here is that less than 1% of people across the European continent will see falling snow on Xmas day with the vast majority of countries seeing milder than average conditions - laying snow exclusive to mountains.

That remains the case for at least 10 days after if we take the models as gospel. Isn't restricted to our green and pleasant pastures. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
30 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Sorry to say. No signal for SSW or significant weakening of the stratospheric vortex.  Above 40 m/s is considered strong. 

There is a decent clustering going sig below long term average in Jan (albeit briefly and the ens mean only very briefly)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

CFS seeing a strong Euro high anomaly for January- yuk!

Just as well it’s the cfs then😉!!

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
58 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

ECM46  still looks interesting in the later weeks, but can we give it any weight?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Banana, Produce, Plant, Fruit, Food

Pfffffffttttttt 🙂 enough said I think 

Posted
52 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

First week Jan looks to be split sceuro ridge or flat cool zonal    Second week similar 
Could contain: Plot, Chart, Spider Web                                                     Could contain: Spider Web

Third week Jan splits the option with a nw euro high aswell 

Could contain: Spider Web, Plot, Chart

32 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

Good to see the rampant upper vortex dropping back, possibly below average before it recovers to be reasonably strong though nothing like it is in a weeks time 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

There is a decent clustering going sig below long term average in Jan (albeit briefly and the ens mean only very briefly)

I’d not take that as necessarily a good thing, one thing that will slow the strat vortex down from a fast speed as I understand it, is coupling to the trop.  I personally think that those who have claimed that is already happening have jumped the gun, but middle third of January such a coupling could be quite likely, other things being equal.  

I think we need to see the trop pattern develop into something primed for cold before then, which gives us a window, but not a huge one.

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I’d not take that as necessarily a good thing, one thing that will slow the strat vortex down from a fast speed as I understand it, is coupling to the trop.  I personally think that those who have claimed that is already happening have jumped the gun, but middle third of January such a coupling could be quite likely, other things being equal.  

I think we need to see the trop pattern develop into something primed for cold before then, which gives us a window, but not a huge one.

looks like that week sees pressure from a strat Aleutian ridge is responsible for the drop off in zonal flow Mike and the v strong week coincides with the spv right over the pole  

the month in general sees the spv at 10hpa hanging around svaalbard 

lCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2