Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
11 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Horrid 06 GEFS.

...fair enough...certainly in the reliable not good and also lot of spread in fi but just noticed op and control getting cooler in last third or run...no ?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
34 minutes ago, Catacol said:

HNY everyone - festive season pretty much over...time to return to "normal" (whatever that is...) 

It has been a grim 2 weeks for cold hunters. I have checked into a few charts and data sources over the Xmas period and frankly if it could go wrong - it has gone wrong. Pacific forcing arrived as expected and it has prevented the slide towards a Nina dominated atmosphere. AAM has pushed back up into positive territory

Could contain: Chart

and the GWO orbit started to rise once again, avoiding a slide into flat, Nina territory.

Could contain: CAD Diagram, Diagram, Face, Person, Head

We have even ended up in the fabled ground of MJO phase 7 as many suspected might happen despite the usual crappy MJO model forecasts.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Bicycle, Vehicle, Transportation

This was probably about as big a jump back up of AAM in a positive pacific context as we could expect. Looks pretty good! We are even looking at a scenario which sees the North Pacific High replaced by some quite long last low pressure....a good precursor for strat forcing

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

But just take a look - as though we need to - at pressure over Europe. I posted JMA monthly charts that saw this draining away. EC charts showed it draining away. And here we are with the Euro High firmly embedded. It has forced the jet stream further north so that only the Highlands are now seeing what - at one stage - some of us thought much of the UK could see during this current period. Go to the outer reaches of useful EPS modelling and not much change. Euro High in charge. 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person

It is indeed grim. CC modelling of global patterns over the next 80 years or so sees the growth of the Euro High as a core feature. The fact that we are seeing it so much already, as early as 2022/23, is depressing. Germany breaking temperature records....we had our 40 degree summer just gone. Both courtesy of this growing anomaly. As the world warms the regional implications of this Euro feature are going to become quite profound I suspect.

Where does this leave UK winter? Searching for a SSW. I don't see any way out of a westerly pattern now without a SSW. Really substantial amplification might possibly do it but remembering the failure of the GP +4SD "torpedo" years ago I am not sure modern climate patterns produce the same kind of response as was the case 30-40 years ago, at least in Europe where we have a semi permanent high anomaly bedded in to our south.

A proper SSW - like 2018 - would do it. In such circumstances downwelling impacts of vortex collapse overcome tropospheric forcing and these scenarios are the ones that really significant winter cold will rely on going forward. To have any chance of this in our current winter we could do with seeing high pressure reemerge over Scandy or the Urals as we had in November to pair up with low pressure over the Aleutians which is modelled. As more than one poster noted a month ago - it would have been much better for our winter overall if the Scandy High in early December hadn't retrogressed so swiftly to Greenland. Much better for stratospheric forcing. Right now only half of this pairing is in place - the Aleutian Low. It is forecast to produce quite a significant wave 1 stretch of the vortex and there is a chance going forward of a displacement warming....but a wave 2 split would be much better for us. Note the current 3D modelling of the vortex in 10 days' time - stretch is quite clear and visible.

Could contain: Ct Scan

So - forget the first half of January. I would almost suggest everyone take a week away from the models, maybe even 10 days, and come back and see if any change is in the offing. Pray that the Euro High ridges towards the Urals in the meantime.

What is meant by "wave 1" and "wave 2"? I've seen Eagle Eye mention these frequently also

• Like 4

Posted

The ICON seems just as unreliable as the GFS at the moment given its wild swings .

The latest run is a world away from the 00 hrs .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The ICON seems just as unreliable as the GFS at the moment given its wild swings .

The latest run is a world away from the 00 hrs .

Yeah, I think it's that little shortwave near Norway which stops us going cold 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Gowon said:

Yeah, I think it's that little shortwave near Norway which stops us going cold 

Yes it’s a real mess to the north of the UK and the models seem to be unsure as to when and where that phases with the upstream trough .

The ECM absorbs that shortwave but the Scandi high is just too weak given it’s just a surface feature and lacks the punch of a proper high to force more trough disruption.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Happy New Year all..just looked 👀 at the GEFS 6z and I gorra say there’s a fair modicum.. 🧐..of cold zonal potential in there!..of course I would love / adore a raging Easterly…but at least some cold would be better than constant mild mush ?…am I right.. or ….. hey at least bungle agrees! 😜😱  🌈 

Could contain: Glasses, Head, Face, Hat, Tie, Formal Wear, Photography, Happy, Laughing, HardhatCould contain: Teddy Bear, Toy, Kangaroo, Mammal, Animal

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Happy New Year all..just looked 👀 at the GEFS 6z and I gorra say there’s a fair modicum.. 🧐..of cold zonal potential in there!..of course I would love / adore a raging Easterly…but at least some cold would be better than constant mild mush ?…am I right.. or ….. hey at least bungle agrees! 😜😱  🌈 

Could contain: Glasses, Head, Face, Hat, Tie, Formal Wear, Photography, Happy, Laughing, HardhatCould contain: Teddy Bear, Toy, Kangaroo, Mammal, Animal

Yes if cold zonal comes off?!!

• Like 1

Posted

Regardless of some early differences between the GFS,GEM and UKMO it looks pretty clear that the Scandi high is boxing in the wrong division .

Against a weaker attack it might have stood a chance but gets its marching orders pretty quick .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, having just received an energy bill of £800 for December which has almost given me heart failure, it's probably a good thing that the Atlantic looks like it will stop the cold block to the east, but it's close at one point at 126hrs on the GFS.  Models do seem in good agreement though that the Atlantic will retain its influence over our part of the world moving forwards.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Regardless of some early differences between the GFS,GEM and UKMO it looks pretty clear that the Scandi high is boxing in the wrong division .

Against a weaker attack it might have stood a chance but gets its marching orders pretty quick .

Wasn't a Scandi high always very much an outside chance influencing the UK though?

• Like 2

Posted

This is Ripley signing back in !

The post day ten GFS looks a pretty standard response to the MJO moving into the more favourable phases .

The limpet Euro slug tends to get pulled west and north .

If the PV displaces towards Baffin in response to the strat warming routes to cold from there would generally come from the ne .

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Map, Outdoors

12z nothing to write home about in our part of the world but the cold air I've been keen to see over Scandi can throw a surprise if it doesn't budge. P9 on the GFS shows a scenario where cold to our east starts having a serious influence on our part of the world.

Wishful thinking but we can hope.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

The limpet Euro slug tends to get pulled west and north .

That limpet Euro slug seems so stubborn and looks to be sign of things to come.  Yesterday the models were showing signs of it moving in the medium term, which increased the chances of some colder zonality at least?!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1