Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Lynxus

Yes - GFS 6Z has a promising pattern developing between 19th and 22nd February…Greenland High in place and a.cold pool of air swooping down from the North East…..

IMG_1317.thumb.gif.7dcd37d5765e9ad199cd46ec667a70d6.gif  IMG_1319.thumb.gif.5d2304f97ca5e43082460dd53b567c2f.gif

Could be a great early sighting of a late February cold spell,  or it could be complete red herring.   We will know by tomorrow…..😜

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

bluearmy probably means regarding continuity. There hasn't been any and so if it's still showing it might be worth noting. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

Sky Full

I wouldn't take this one too literally. Even though it is the right track the GFS is on now, I think the operational is too far (South) east with the block. Notice the EPSs for f.i. Manchester. Personally I expect the block to be more over western Russia/Scandinavia with more of an northeasterly rather than an Easterly flow. This has great implications for the "northerly" flow later on. If the Atlantic goes flat (or shows a southerly jet) a hp over the entire Northern Atlantic may emerge with hp over both Scandinavia and Greenland. 

Edited by AO-
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia

Ali1977 You would expect that as the output data from the ARPEGE is the input data for the AROME, similar to how the output data from the UKMO is the input data for the UKV.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well here we are again...snowlines ..20 or 50 miles north/south ...🤪...

...however gfs 6z fi interesting as others have said it does show the pattern change as highlighted by the seasonals and the anomalies...

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_57(2).thumb.png.9e69930b60dcbe5674efea1b32fede77.png

eps_z500a_nhem_57(2).thumb.png.ec16b40e19eb26041d6d6c77137dda3f.png

814day.03(8).thumb.gif.d9b3a688e238f23c1a298049f120da89.gif

gfsnh-0-330(6).thumb.png.c42961a2ab38dd6596ce6b56c3667c0a.png

animwqp3.thumb.gif.4266fc38b9cb206b92de312a26d4cf40.gif

....that R word again...RRRet...so although the next day or so still uncertainty abounds maybe this is one of those occasions where fi is more certain than the immediate...well...a little...perhaps ?..

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

And the gfs 06z  throws a bone to the great majority of the UK who will miss out on the boundary line snow tomorrow.

As others have stated it is very much in line with the long held seasonal view and the current background signals.

However one can't help but feel we've seen it all before.

Time will tell.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 6

Posted

Dennis This ties in nicely with METO extended outlook just published out to day 15, snow showers from east.  Meets ECM and GFS roughly in terms of way forward 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Chesil View At this point I think everybody is fed up of post day 7/8 charts this Winter which don't materialise so majority won't pay attention until anything interesting is at day 5/6, this really has been a tedious Winter in that regard so I don't blame them. Now we only have a few weeks of proper Winter left anyhow so can't get any more pushbacks on good charts if they do start popping up again.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Very detailed outlook discussing the dynamics from this point and extending for the majority of February 🌨🌨🌨🥶🥶☔☔️🌩🌞😁

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Mcconnor8

I couldn't agree more. It is around this point that if we havent had a nationwide "cold and snowy spell of at least several days duration that people's endurance and enthusiasm begins to wane.

The channel low in January was particularly frustrating in that regard as I could literally see the snow clouds sat offshore from my coastal location. 

As you say let's see that 06z set up within 5/6 days and then raise an eyebrow. 

For now its just a bunch of pixels on a screen even if it does broadly agree with latest meto extended update and the background signals.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Battleground Snow Shows how far we have to go with modelling when they are all over the place at just 48 hours out 🤣

• Like 3

Posted

METO délayed their deep dive video till 1639, I wonder if they need to see those 12z first 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted

The small changes early on are gone by end day 3. So it may be a slightly slower advance of the mild air pre T48 but it soon catches up