Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - January cold spell ending, what next?

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The d8 gefs are all over the place so as others have said, entropy sets in well before then. We will have to wait for the models to work it out. I would not be taking any instructions from the gefs/gfs for the moment, and tbh probably not the UKMO or ecm:

gens_panel_zgj2.png

...or the gem, which is awful at d10:

gemnh-0-240.thumb.png.152d7f774e08dc0a4799eea3db567766.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
1 hour ago, That ECM said:

Nice start from Ukmo.

E3A5B9F0-47D0-4A7F-8711-E571C08F9D47.gif

This is the first post on my feed after refreshing (last viewed earlier today) WHAT a chart to refresh on. ??

That UKMO is loaded.

The trend is our friend, and it’s slowly moving in the right direction!

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Yep and I’ll keep shamelessly posting snow charts until 1 materialises ...might not be this year..or next,  but one day . Great thing is that different snow events are popping up on different models at different timescales, surely at least 1 has to verify ??‍♂️

Matches my thoughts this evening. 

ECM followed by pub run, exciting times. 

• Like 6

Posted

A clear slide down after mid Month starting to appear. Remember at this time of you year you don’t have to be far below the average (red line) for snow opportunities...

194F0898-428B-4DF8-8062-42D7ECF0B24B.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
12 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

those pesky heights over Iberia still interfere with the path to the promised land

I fear as long as we hold on to Gibraltar, pressure will always be too high over Iberia...  

Steps in the right direction though with any lows becoming very squashed between northern and southern heights.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS GET IN - BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image.thumb.png.300eff80dfe7076355f663e8d007fa09.png

Blooming eck, someone scored?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
1 hour ago, Weathizard said:

At least our resident Greek @Vikoswill be happy... 

5F409363-0DAA-4DDC-B4E2-5A75CCF3C81A.png

Only part-time there, rest in Germany...

but snow and cold usually strikes Greece at the end of winter, like March... and if, it doesn’t last for more then a few days. 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

As always.. Its 10 days away

Which is where they have been for the past couple of weeks. But if this SSW has an effect, we should start to see them creep forward.

To be fair, there are signs in early FI that things may be looking up. Need to get it to 120 before we can be genuinely interested though. 

Edited by Djdazzle
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
3 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Don't tell IDO.

FWIW, JFF at T300, no BOOM from me on the gefs:

gens-31-0-300.thumb.png.7958c7d3c9b9fb4a2734346791177a2d.pnggens-31-1-300.thumb.png.f22ba16d81e72f1e60647d4f45794892.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

The d8 gefs are all over the place so as others have said, entropy sets in well before then. We will have to wait for the models to work it out. I would not be taking any instructions from the gefs/gfs for the moment, and tbh probably not the UKMO or ecm:

gens_panel_zgj2.png

I think they are coming together in a cold/v cold set up and just copping on . . . .

P23 for me 

It always starts somewhere.

Heights popping up, joining forces, not possible to predict future mid term forecasts in these severely strange times (SST includes the weather ).

Important to focus on trends IMO and they looking great .

Looking @TI for forward momentum.  . . . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
29 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Yep and I’ll keep shamelessly posting snow charts until 1 materialises ...might not be this year..or next,  but one day . Great thing is that different snow events are popping up on different models at different timescales, surely at least 1 has to verify ??‍♂️

Good for you, Tim! After all, FI is where all the 'action' is! Can everyone simply not savour the aroma?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
42 minutes ago, IDO said:

gens_panel_zgj2.png

A lot of praise for the GEM lately but look at this- proves its snow accumulation charts are nothing more than cannon fodder if it can't even get the present correct 

gem-16-6-1.png

• Like 3

Posted

Getting 80's winters vibes from the GFS 12Z run, unusual cold uppers over scandi while rest of western europe is quite mild. Average starting to look pretty good now

I stand.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

A lot of praise for the GEM lately but look at this- proves its snow accumulation charts are nothing more than cannon fodder if it can't even get the present correct 

gem-16-6-1.png

Give it a chance...still got a hour there is some snow showers pushing east to west and reports of snow in kent though to be fair...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
Just now, Tim Bland said:

Give it a chance...still got a hour there is some snow showers pushing east to west and reports of snow in kent though to be fair...

Yes I've been radar watching looks good for East Kent/coastal Essex not sure it will reach here in the extreme NW of the county but we shall see was nice to see a surprise flurry at 6am today and temps are currently -0.3c even here by the Thames! 

• Like 2