IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Getting warmer again here!

Same up 2⁰ crazy night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Recorded a low of 21C, a little warmer than I expected. There is still some mid level cloud around though it does appear to be clearing north/north east.

Today on the whole looks dry with spells of hazy sunshine and some mid level cloud at times. The wind will strengthen from the south/south east during the morning to become quite gusty in places (30mph). 

Temperatures - Cooler across eastern parts today thanks to the slight onshore nature of the breeze, this won't be an issue for the south coasts due to the short sea track between here and France. Probably 32C-35C for Norwich and Ipswich (Maybe a little higher). Further west temperatures will probably be in the 37-40C range today. London, Cambridge and Peterborough seeing the highest temperatures. 41C can't be ruled out over Cambridgeshire. A cold front will move north east later and this will be marked by an area of mid/high level cloud, showers may develop on this line, but no guarantees.

image.thumb.png.8693cf16a4658baa81612b0f3d153ca7.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I highly suspect we have a new record low, im really surprised I was able to sleep tbh but as soon as the sun came up I was awake and now up as my room is a furnace 

Posted

23.c when I went to bed, 18.c when I got up...but the apartment block absorbed all the heat from the last week and it's an uncomfortable 26.c indoors already with all the windows open. I think it will certainly be hotter indoors today, despite my regime of open then closed windows and curtains and ice blocks on front of the fan.

Trying to keep the allotment functioning is hard work. The soil is like dust, never seen it so bad. Despite nightly watering, the heat killed off 2 of my four courgette plants yesterday.  Too hot to water at 7pm but there a bunfight for the taps at 9.30pm and as a result no water pressure! Was still there at 11pm last night. Hoping for a storm tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
2 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

the heat killed off 2 of my four courgette plants yesterday.  

It's too early getting up for me when I misread "courgette" as "cigarette"  😆

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Dipped to 20°C briefly here near Heathrow but the temperature is rocketing (4°C rise in less than an hour). Managed 6 hours sleep with the fan on, but today in uniform will be a bit hot. Be good to get some big storms tonight, what are the chances?

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
12 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

23.c when I went to bed, 18.c when I got up...but the apartment block absorbed all the heat from the last week and it's an uncomfortable 26.c indoors already with all the windows open. I think it will certainly be hotter indoors today, despite my regime of open then closed windows and curtains and ice blocks on front of the fan.

Trying to keep the allotment functioning is hard work. The soil is like dust, never seen it so bad. Despite nightly watering, the heat killed off 2 of my four courgette plants yesterday.  Too hot to water at 7pm but there a bunfight for the taps at 9.30pm and as a result no water pressure! Was still there at 11pm last night. Hoping for a storm tonight.

Must be a nightmare keeping an allotment going in this weather.

I know someone who's using their caravan aquarolls to water, which is 80L of water, plus a length of hose as a syphon. No idea how they get them into a vehicle as they weigh a ton when full (speaking from experience!). 

• Like 1

Posted

Local WOW station at 28.4 as of 5 minutes ago. Currently adding a degree every 20-30 minutes. 

Posted

Was woken around 5am by a crow shouting and it was 24.1c. Alarm went off at 6:50am and it was 28.1c - I am not looking forward to today!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Recorded a low of 21C, a little warmer than I expected. There is still some mid level cloud around though it does appear to be clearing north/north east.

Today on the whole looks dry with spells of hazy sunshine and some mid level cloud at times. The wind will strengthen from the south/south east during the morning to become quite gusty in places (30mph). 

Temperatures - Cooler across eastern parts today thanks to the slight onshore nature of the breeze, this won't be an issue for the south coasts due to the short sea track between here and France. Probably 32C-35C for Norwich and Ipswich (Maybe a little higher). Further west temperatures will probably be in the 37-40C range today. London, Cambridge and Peterborough seeing the highest temperatures. 41C can't be ruled out over Cambridgeshire. A cold front will move north east later and this will be marked by an area of mid/high level cloud, showers may develop on this line, but no guarantees.

image.thumb.png.8693cf16a4658baa81612b0f3d153ca7.png

Down here it's either still 26 or gone up to that already. Quite a high starting point. I couldn't believe it went up from 25 to 27 in the middle of the night, bedroom was 30. 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted

woke up at 5:15 and it was 25.6c outside. now we've just gone up to 29c. definately looks like today will be hotter, as predicted.

Posted

some strange temp fluctuations overnight. 10:30 last night we had the lowext temp of 21.2C by 11pm it had gone back up to 24.2c then back down to 22.4c ny midnight. The temp then steadily rose to 26.4c by 01:15, then stable for 2 hours then down to 24c just before 5. slow increase until 6 and then steep rise, to the current temp of 29.4c.    I guess there were some pulses of warm air being driven up from the continent.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm pretty sure the overnight low record will have gone. This is the local met office weather station to me (about a mile away). i'm sure there are probably warmer ones as well in central London 

image.thumb.png.9ca2ded351ce512386d6a548cb568e7b.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

"Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 19 Jul 2022 - 05:59 UTC Wed 20 Jul 2022

ISSUED 06:12 UTC Tue 19 Jul 2022

ISSUED BY: Dan

An incredibly hot, dry airmass continues to cover Britain on Tuesday associated with a deep well-mixed layer generally suppressing surface-based convection. Above this mixed layer scattered elevated showers and thunderstorms are possible in the morning over SW England and into Wales and perhaps SE Ireland along a NW-SE aligned instability axis drifting gradually eastwards through the day on the forward side of an upper low over Biscay. Most model guidance suggests activity along this zone will wane by the afternoon hours, however the instability axis remains as it tracks eastwards across England through the afternoon and evening and any subtle forcing/moistening may be sufficient for additional elevated showers/thunderstorms to develop. However, confidence is rather low on exactly when and where - a blend of guidance suggests there may be an uptick in activity across SE England, East Anglia and the E Midlands during the evening hours. Meanwhile, ahead of this feature the UKV (and to a lesser extent the ECMWF) continues to flag the potential for a few scattered showers/thunderstorms over Cen N and NE England and SE Scotland during the afternoon and early evening hours, exiting to the North Sea. In the model world these have a surface-based look to them forming within the surface trough axis, but in reality their bases would be incredibly high (same level as elevated convection essentially) and given the incredibly deep hot, dry layer such surface-based convection would likely struggle for moisture. Therefore this scenario is deemed rather unlikely, with elevated convection probably the more favoured mode (if anything does indeed develop). Any strong, isolated elevated convection that does develop at any point during this forecast period poses the risk of starting a fire given potential for dry thunderstorms and tinder dry vegetation, and perhaps also some heat bursts. Thunderstorms could produce quite frequent lightning given the magnitude of instability above the EML.

Perhaps better consensus is for an active complex of thunderstorms to quickly develop over parts of northern Scotland and the Moray Firth during the late afternoon and early evening hours, on the leading edge of the approaching cold front as PVA arrives from the southwest. This may become messy given a mixture of convective and dynamic precipitation, but could be rather active for a few hours before weakening on approach to Shetland. Overnight, there may also be an increase in elevated shower/thunderstorm activity in the vicinity of the Celtic Sea and portions of Wales/SW England (perhaps W Midlands/W Country) on the northern periphery of the approaching Biscay upper low. "

largethumb.thumb.png.39ee54afbb83ddb5334b23bceb808347.png

That's convective Weather's take of this.

I'll do my own later if I get the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

30 degree threshold breached at 8:10. Madness.

FEB872A7-2356-41DA-A182-1DE58EE569DD.png

Edited by seb
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Strange feeling getting in the car at 4am and its 22c .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

29c here and it's already warmer than all of yesterday, yikes!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

1 more day people lol, I'm in Minehead this week, and I'm watching the radar in anticipation, heavy thundery showers this afternoon, which will bring the change to some cooler weather. I'll do my best to hurry it along down to you folks 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

According to my BBC app, today will be 4C 'cooler' than yesterday was. I'm not so sure, seeing as it's already up to 27C!🤔

Anyway, the freezer is now defrosting.💦

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

30c before 9am on the South Coast!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
15 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

30c before 9am on the South Coast!

Crazy but on the plus side, not far from the sea to cool off.

• Like 1