Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
11 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Got away 'with it' nearer the coast here...max of 32c yesterday and today just over 33c, feel sorry for those folks further inland, how are those T-Storms looking? or is that wishful thinking.

One of the weather stations in SWF reported 40.3 today (not the most reliable one mind you).
But most here peaked at 38. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Temps rising again, back up to 33c. Rain is close though.

Posted

Maxed out at 38.6c in Folkestone. Not just my station either, all local stations into the 38’s - absolutely crazy so close to the coast!

Now 38.0c

4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Just to be sure, this fire and the heath fire, are they different event, or the same fire.

I think there are multiple fires sadly - several near Dartford and another in west London I saw

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

One of the weather stations in SWF reported 40.3 today (not the most reliable one mind you).
But most here peaked at 38. 

Sounds a bit excessive...I've got a Stevenson screen with my min/max thermometers housed so I should think fairly accurate here but as you're 8 or 9 miles further inland a degree or two hotter I would have thought!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Topped out around 38c here this afternoon but has now dropped to a chilly 34.9c. I love summer weather but this has been dreadful. Roll on winter!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

As its been on the warm side, the sea temps may be up a degree or two, so any marginal snow events next winter will go to rain, rather then snow. Just thought i would throw that one in the mix. Hopefully some more summer weather on the way after this heatwave breaks. Take care and good health. Time for another cool drink on the lawn.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Sounds a bit excessive...I've got a Stevenson screen with my min/max thermometers housed so I should think fairly accurate here but as you're 8 or 9 miles further inland a degree or two hotter I would have thought!

There are a couple of stations here that I find questionable. There is one I trust after years of keeping an eye on it and that went up to 38 today.

I really want to get my own, but I can never make up my mind which one to get.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

An astonishing day in this region. Records being shattered left right and centre. Marham and Holbeach near me up in Naarfolk recording over 39c.
So sad to see all these fires breaking out however. We need a good storm now to dampen the ground and clear the air. Last night was unbearable. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

My lightening tracker just alerted me to strikes west of Brighton.....hope they come east! (And bring lots of ppn!) 🤞

Posted

Came home and it was blue skies and 35.c. Curtains are closed to keep it cool - saw the temps dropping like a stone, opened the curtains and...dark clouds everywhere!!! Should have looked at the radar, granted. Exciting watching it drop a degree in 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Posted

We've just had a sudden and dramatic increase in wind speed and direction - gusting 15-20mph from the SW. Came out of nowhere. 

We're at 30.5C at the moment. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
12 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

There are a couple of stations here that I find questionable. There is one I trust after years of keeping an eye on it and that went up to 38 today.

I really want to get my own, but I can never make up my mind which one to get.

Metcheck look like they've folded and no more (the online shop)...they use to sell British Standard (BS) Min/Max thermometers & Stevenson Screens...Russell Scientific you could give a go.

• Like 1

Posted

Early evening all 🙂

An extraordinary day here in East London. After yesterday's very hot conditions, I was awake just after 5.

Went down and sat in the garden for an hour - the very early day was fresh, comfortable and surprisingly pleasant.

As the day has developed, the opposite has become the case - despite windows, doors and shutters closed the house is oppressively hot - even the wooden flooring "feels" warm.

I reckon we reached 39c on this side of London - the cool early breeze soon disappeared.

Mrs Stodge dispatched me to the corner shop at 5pm - it's roughly 150 yards each way but it was horrible. I've been to Las Vegas and Singapore and this compared well to those experiences - despite relatively low humidity, it was just "hot" and I was on the shaded side of the street. A difficult 300 yards and I can well understand how some have got into trouble.

We now await the rain and the uncomfortable rise in humidity before the drop in temperature - tomorrow, windows, doors, shutters flung open to try to get some of the heat out the house. 

48 hours of this has been an ordeal - what if next time it's 5 days or longer of temperatures above 40c? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

What the hell, just ventured out, for the second time, first time was this morning, breeze this morning was helpful, breeze now just makes you hotter. Think I was just in a fan assisted oven for ten minutes. Horrible.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

The winds have reached here and it is much fresher already, wow what a relief!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Metcheck look like they've folded and no more (the online shop)...they use to sell British Standard (BS) Min/Max thermometers & Stevenson Screens...Russell Scientific you could give a go.

Thank you! I really must get around to it! 

Just seen this - 

• Like 1

Posted
55 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Got away 'with it' nearer the coast here...max of 32c yesterday and today just over 33c, feel sorry for those folks further inland, how are those T-Storms looking? or is that wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking I reckon ☹️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Wishful thinking I reckon ☹️

Depends on how much CAPE there is over the channel, wish we could get live soundings here like the US, would be so much easier to understand, still think chance for a Storm but I think it will only be infrequent lightning based on whats currently going on.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Freeze said:

The winds have reached here and it is much fresher already, wow what a relief!

But with the wind gusting like you say and no rain/storm etc..as you know its a fires best friend 

Posted

All those now with the breeze, please blow it towards EA, its like a furnace out here, still 34c now and feels horrendous inside and outside is just instant death!!!  Yesterday evening clouds arrived and at least everywhere had shade, no such luck yet tonight, gonna be worse, much worse than last night. 

• Like 1