Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - into mid-January

Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread and use the winter chat thread for non-model related discussion.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less of a cold-slanted look at the models, please head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

First out is the ICON- awful again...just a conveyor belt of mid latitude heights pushing in from the Atlantic, PV draped to the N of these heights like a heavy lid.

If we move towards ENSO neutral in spring, we're heading for the likelihood of a 2018 May-July like period with continued and repeated Azores HP ridging. You can mark my words on that one. Everything is so static and there's seemingly nothing to force us out of this pattern. 

I'm sure @Mike Poole will be pleased to hear my (very) early thoughts on this  

Ha, haven’t even thought about summer yet.  What strikes me is that the Atlantic has been dead since about this time last year.  I remember wondering in autumn whether it would resurge, hoping it would stay in slumber into winter - it has done, but it sticks in the throat that we’ve still not managed to land anything remotely cold anyway!  If the pattern persists, plus the strengthened and displaced Azores high, we could be wondering the same in the run up to summer.

UKMO and GFS this morning are like chalk and cheese at T120 and even earlier.  I can’t decided whether these GFS solutions are just part of the envelope of uncertainty, or whether it is seeing something different to the other models.  If the latter, then the next question is what it seeing nonsense or not?  I now suspect it is, but the 12z suite should consign the early (T144) northerly to the bin.  Later prospects still in play.  We will see…

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, That ECM said:

They’re only garden path if you’re selective in the ones you view. They are also garden path in terms of Tplus. We go looking into fi hunting for cold but no one forces anyone up the garden path they go because they choose too. Can always stick to Ukmo and go no further that Tplus 72 but where’s the fun in that?

Precisely.. I'm more than happy to walk up the path and take me chances and I've learned so much by doing so... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all,still the the uncertainty from this repositioning high pressure temperatures will

be in low single figures day time with frost and freezing fog keeping a very wintery scene going.

Best solution to keep a Brest of this shifting high is Fax charts,120 hrs show’s this nicely with a cold 

front heading south through the high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, That ECM said:

This one?

3C9CAB56-80A0-4881-A00C-C73E9DE10AED.png

Not that split - more amplified MAR heading slowly east  …..variations on a theme this morning with one cluster flatter 

1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Did they? That’s good news.  Were they showing them end of week 4 , two weeks ago?  I don’t look at the clusters, other members like yourself helpfully bring them up far more efficiently than I could ??

BFTP

Extended eps only go to day 15

and if they went to four weeks I can guarantee that climatology would prevent all clusters showing a similar solution at that timescale ….

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Rather odd output this morning and I shall use Aberdeenshire as an example.

On the 18th Jan in Aberdeenshire the UKMO has upper temps around 7C, ECM 4C, GFS -10C!!

image.thumb.png.e666c1ce9bfae82c37e9766447e66b99.pngimage.thumb.png.cb4b38811410a94dccecf915e8e8c8f0.pngimage.thumb.png.3fb8c39c3a1f49f736aa043e9598b151.png

What is rather odd is no GEFS ensemble member supports ECM/UKMO with just 2 members at around 4C.

image.thumb.png.d9ac76f69d23ff324d9d35baf5f60719.png

So whilst the ECM/UKMO are the favourite we cannot assume they are right. I have known times for the GFS to be proved correct over the ECM/UKMO when there is such a difference in the output.

image.png

The eps spread on 850’s shows the uncertainty over the North Sea but I think that gfs in being so far west with the upper trough is right at the edge of reason in offering to clip the e of Scotland with -10c. 

image.thumb.png.f131f62c45166d36012fc6d6125e7c3d.png

• Like 1

Posted

Well, as people wake to a colder landscape my gut feeling looking at the 00z data is things could be worse given the NH pressure profile.

There maybe a couple of attempts at retrogression in the outlook - hoping if the first fails ,the second might be more successful..

image.thumb.png.0383e97648bc67c15cac14502f115090.png

image.thumb.png.ccd83e3964f54b4b3efd1535f4035010.png

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 hour ago, weathercold said:

Really? Would say it’s fairly accurate- cannot see any cold spell across any of the NWP- maybe I’m looking at the wrong charts ?‍♂️
It’s a bust for next week, simple as.

Depending on how you define cold. Mean air temp may well be below average, therefore cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Gfs back into the fold with the euros…. For early next week.. now to start looking for the next hunt.

image.thumb.png.4428999146ae21bccf2788c4f88ea899.png

I'd rather this than mild,wind and rain. 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, joggs said:

I'd rather this than mild,wind and rain. 

Looking at temps we still keep mild with an 8c progged in the south at 07|00 next Tuesday…. Wind and rain gone though 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

Thanks to BT, I've hardly been on here much, these past few days. But, one thing I have noticed is the sheer number of cherry-picked perturbations being posted. Talk about building our own garden paths!

Being a gardener i go up many garden paths...at least you get a better result

Gfs closing the gate on yesterdays 6z garden path...

527091618_h850t850eu(80).thumb.png.85a1db777409e276975a27a76a78a481.png

• Like 7

Posted

Rinse and repeat I’m seeing on attempt 2.. just too much steering momentum up over the polar regions for heights that benefit us to take root. This attempt will topple again

image.thumb.png.23f0fe226ae82d1ea7089b62bad90aa4.png

• Like 2

Posted

Give me P9 from the GEM 00z or P17 from the GFS 00z please

image.thumb.png.9f81e08c25cd8b6d1f2acb410ad124de.pngimage.thumb.png.0706bab5ceb839d9b7f19ad12b73c7ac.png

At least both of these members from each model turn cold and generally stay there. Nothing exceptional cold wise at 850hpa but at least it puts us in the cold game.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, booferking said:

GFS moves the Northerly run to run 2000km in 24hrs cannon folder

gfsnh-0-144 (1).png

gfsnh-0-120.png

And to put that into context that's 72 grides it's moved if it's running at a resoultion of 28km grid points.

• Like 1