Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Greyhound81 said:

Is next weekend now a write off as far as hot weather is concerned, or is there still a chance that the heatwave could extend into Saturday?  The BBC website is showing 23 °C for next Saturday, and the Met Office 25 °C.

If you have location in profile, folk would be able to answer easily!

I would say hot Saturday for London area 35 degrees or so, for my location just around 16 and wet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
15 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

London weather is just depressing now. Not enough warm or hot weather with sunshine, and not enough cold sunny frosty days or snow in winter.

London has never had long periods of hot weather or snowy weather in its climate which is why people struggle to cope when it does happen and the infrastructure is not up to the job. The UK is not a continental climate.

• Like 2

Posted

Annoying the s**t weather returns just in time for the weekend. Classic.

Can't complain though - just a shame it's the 3 days i'm in the office - so its going to be super uncomfortable for me too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
55 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Annoying the s**t weather returns just in time for the weekend. Classic.

Can't complain though - just a shame it's the 3 days i'm in the office - so its going to be super uncomfortable for me too!

I will complain if it is rainy this weekend as it'll be my first days off work in 12 days (all dry days)...sods law! lol You gotta laugh...Hopefully it just rains overnight

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, al78 said:

London has never had long periods of hot weather or snowy weather in its climate which is why people struggle to cope when it does happen and the infrastructure is not up to the job. The UK is not a continental climate.

I think I just long for a January 1987, February 1991, even a February 1994 or 2009, and a summer like 1994 let’s say. 

Growing up in that era, we were spoilt with the near certainty, that every 2-3 years we would get a decent snowfall, and a decent hot summer month.

My expectations were set very high as a result.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I think I just long for a January 1987, February 1991, even a February 1994 or 2009, and a summer like 1994 let’s say. 

Growing up in that era, we were spoilt with the near certainty, that every 2-3 years we would get a decent snowfall, and a decent hot summer month.

My expectations were set very high as a result.

Really? January 1987 was an exceptional event, the return period must be decades if not centuries. I grew up in the 80's and 90's and lived in Salford, and one thing I remember is that significant snow events were few and far between, and when more than an inch of snow lay on the ground, it rarely lasted more than a day, in other words, just like my experience of most winters whilst living in Sussex over the last 20 years (2008/9-2010/11 the exceptions). There are a handful that stick in the mind but the 1990's +ve NAO dominated winters tended to be mild, wet and stormy. I remember 1995 and to a lesser extent 1996 as being superb summers but I also remember at least one really grotty period in August in the early 1990's. June 1997 and 1998 I also remember for grottiness which is when I was at uni in Reading, the latter had destructive flooding in Leamington Spa.

Expecting January 1987 or December 2010 weather in winter and 1996/2018 summers regularly in the UK is delusional.

Posted

It is often said the weather in Scotland is changeable, and to expect all four seasons. I've been in Braemar for four days now and the weather hasn't changed at all in that time. Mostly overcast with showers, 12C during the day, and windy, especially in the mountains. There is enough snow just below and to the east of the summit of Ben Macdui to make a small ski run. Thus I have experienced only two seasons in Scotland so far this week, autumn and winter.

Posted

Some large snow patches in existance around Ben Macdui today.

IMG_20220613_125900957_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

No sign of summer in Shitfield yet this year. Been an overcast, subarctic failure of a month, so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Some interesting cloud formations I'm a complete amateur when it comes to naming clouds but I know the one type is cirrus 

IMG_20220614_141109.jpg

IMG_20220614_141058.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

A bit of cirrus, a contrail or two and I think a bit of cumulus below I think - but happy to be corrected by those with more cloud watching talent than I have!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Today is about ideal for a summers day...blue skies, gentle breeze and 24c. I think this about the sweet spot for the vast majority of people without it feeling overbearing. I like it a few degrees warmer, but at least 24c actually feels warm!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Glorious weather in the capital this week. I think we'll get to 33.5°C at Heathrow/Cambridge  and I seem to recall a few tweeters saying that June would be a write off? "Cool, wet".

If the trend for heat in Southern Europe continues throughout the summer then I wouldn't rule out the UK's first 40°C day 

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Glorious weather in the capital this week. I think we'll get to 33.5°C at Heathrow/Cambridge  and I seem to recall a few tweeters saying that June would be a write off? "Cool, wet".

If the trend for heat in Southern Europe continues throughout the summer then I wouldn't rule out the UK's first 40°C day 

There is more to the country than London and the South East of England. 

Have barely seen the sun up here and the 'plume' hardly gets here before being quickly pushed South.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
15 hours ago, Thundershine said:

No sign of summer in Shitfield yet this year. Been an overcast, subarctic failure of a month, so far.

Subarctic!.......

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Today is pretty much perfection imby and would please even the whiniest of members on here.

Clear skies, 22 degrees, hot sun, fresh air and low humidity. Very light breeze.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

What ‘hot snap’? Glasgow has a projected high of 14c on Saturday…

Posted
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

What ‘hot snap’? Glasgow has a projected high of 14c on Saturday…

Don’t worry, there’s plenty of deep fried Mars Bars to keep you occupied.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
38 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Don’t worry, there’s plenty of deep fried Mars Bars to keep you occupied.

I’ll crack the jokes wee man.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

4th day in a row of decent sunshine here in the south east but today its been almost wall to wall! Possibly the same 2moz so this is the 1st time since March that we've had a consistent settled sunny spell. More to come this summer hopefully!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
50 minutes ago, markyo said:

Subarctic!.......

Some actual subarctic climates get hotter summers than Sheffield.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, SunSean said:

4th day in a row of decent sunshine here in the south east but today its been almost wall to wall! Possibly the same 2moz so this is the 1st time since March that we've had a consistent settled sunny spell. More to come this summer hopefully!

The least we can expect in June!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, MP-R said:

Today is pretty much perfection imby and would please even the whiniest of members on here.

Clear skies, 22 degrees, hot sun, fresh air and low humidity. Very light breeze.

Yes, up to 24°C today with mainly clear skies and light winds, just about perfect. I’d be quite happy to swap the 2 day heatwaves for today’s conditions for most of the summer

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 hours ago, SunSean said:

Yes this was something we were missing in May. Hopefully this will make up for it, and we are still in the lightest period of the year for long sunny evenings.

The clear blue skies with a dry heat feeling, makes this perfect weather. It will no doubt become more humid once we hit 28-30c towards the end of this week. 

• Like 2