Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 minute ago, Mark Smithy said:

Hi Nick,

Do you have a live link to this and other stations?

Sadly not for the 10 min data at least, it's on a data feed I can access at work. We do have this website for the hourly data though:

WEATHEROBS.COM

Global weather observations (METAR, SYNOP, BUOY, SHIP, TAF, CWOP) decoded to enable display of latest temperatures, weather, snow depths, precipitation, wind and wave conditions and more

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Jo Farrow said:

It is only mid-June. France saw its earliest (in a year) 40+C temp yesterday. 33C is rare in June for UK, only exceeded twice before 20th June since 1961. Met Office say that 34C or higher has only been recorded 5 times in june since 1961 (most in 1976 heatwave when June record was set in Soton, 2019, 2017) and this is just a brief surge of heat.

Thank you Jo.

Nay'sayers of whatever persuasion are usually irritating so it's really good to stick to the facts.

This is clearly out of the ordinary, for June.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Sadly not, it's on a data feed I can access at work.

Ah okay.

If it's 32.6C before 14h00 then there's a very good chance we're going to see a 33.0C. Perhaps even something a little higher.

Just now, Wimbledon88 said:

With the exception of SW France, nought unusual for a June day in Europe, including here. 

Screenshot_20220617_140009.jpg

This is just rubbish.

Why post stupid things like this? Jo countered you with the facts so stick to them.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Cloud starting to break now on the east coast, temp starting climb, although we have a nice pleasant breeze, roll on 4pm then its beer garden time

Posted

@Mark Smithy check the edit in my reply to you above.

But agreed, while it's not exceptional this is not a normal June day. Anyone claiming that 10C above the normal max is "normal" is on a wind-up.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Jo Farrow said:

It is only mid-June. France saw its earliest (in a year) 40+C temp yesterday. 33C is rare in June for UK, only exceeded twice before 20th June since 1961. Met Office say that 34C or higher has only been recorded 5 times in june since 1961 (most in 1976 heatwave when June record was set in Soton, 2019, 2017) and this is just a brief surge of heat.

The facts.

A clearly out of the ordinary spell, with temperature records broken across France for the time of year.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Waiting for everyone to start complaining how 'humid' it is....when humidity in the hot spots across the E/SE are 30-35% at the moment, which is very low for the UK, and low in general!

Yes, today isn't all that oppresive at all and despite it currently being 27 Celsius in my neck of the woods, it is actually quite comfortable thanks to the relatively low humidity.

What also helps is that there is a nice breeze. Sun is out too, so overall quite a nice day. I would be happy for these conditions to last throughout the entire summer with the odd rainy day here and there.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

32C here just now; 2C down on the highest I've seen in the ten years I've lived here. So, just another humdrum summer's day? I guess all of England's thermometers must be malfunctioning!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Rather insignificant here. It's 2.5°C  cooler than yesterday. The majority of high-res models went 3°C too high.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Rather insignificant here. It's 2.5°C  cooler than yesterday. The majority of high-res models went 3°C too high.

The forecast of the rain band and it's strength was poor too.

There was meant to be period of light rain here from 11am to 12pm, but there has been moderate rain from about 9.30am to 2pm. Just brightening up now. The high res models must have underplayed how quick this front would move South East, stopped over my house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
12 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

With the exception of SW France, nought unusual for a June day in Europe, including here. 

Screenshot_20220617_140009.jpg

Madrid is close to 40c again today, which is about 12c above average for mid June. It's been 38c+ there every day this week. It's bloody hot, and definitely not the norm for mid June.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

32°C in Staines now, quite gusty with it. Feeling hot but humidity is very low

• Like 1

Posted

30C with a strong westerly breeze. Don't get to say that very often. Low humidity though so doesn't feel too uncomfortable.

14 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

32C here just now; 2C down on the highest I've seen in the ten years I've lived here. So, just another humdrum summer's day? I guess all of England's thermometers must be malfunctioning!

Just a normal 12C above average day here in the UK, big deal, we see 20C in mid winter all the time too.

• Like 4

Posted

Dew point has crept up all day here, now at 16C. Sadly no longer a dry heat.

Posted

I just remember 1976 which was clearly exceptional. 

This is short-lived (for now) but in some ways no less remarkable for that: the way the heat has boomed across us rather than needing to gradually build day on day. Somewhere like Cambridge or Kew botanical gardens may go over 33C which clearly does not happen very often in June = unusual aka out of the ordinary.

1000328877_Screenshot2022-06-17at14_40_09.thumb.png.f9c2db518c324ec6ab9026b520b515c1.png899643149_Screenshot2022-06-17at14_40_19.thumb.png.1ccd454d9dffb66885d9507bdb452b83.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

The sea mist and fog is here!!! Temperatures falling already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells
19 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

I just remember 1976 which was clearly exceptional. 

This is short-lived (for now) but in some ways no less remarkable for that: the way the heat has boomed across us rather than needing to gradually build day on day. Somewhere like Cambridge or Kew botanical gardens may go over 33C which clearly does not happen very often in June = unusual aka out of the ordinary.

1000328877_Screenshot2022-06-17at14_40_09.thumb.png.f9c2db518c324ec6ab9026b520b515c1.png899643149_Screenshot2022-06-17at14_40_19.thumb.png.1ccd454d9dffb66885d9507bdb452b83.png

Yep agreed - I remember even in the 1990's it would take a Good few days for things to dry out and the heat to build then we would hit or exceed 30c as an exception. These days we can switch to a continental.source and get mid 30's in 24 hours. 40c here is just a matter of time I suspect - God help us when we get a prolonged heatwave! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Baking hot now. 30.7C at Marham.

Posted

Looking likely that 32.4C is going to be the max.

Posted

Kew Gardens has also just hit 32.4C.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Kew Gardens has also just hit 32.4C.

All those concrete plants giving off jet fumes.

• Like 7