Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

Wonder if anyone knows...I'd we had a high pressure over us throughout summer starting at 0° , what would be the highest temp the UK could get to at our latitude eventually? That is without any influence from the south or north?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The fuss the media are making over a day of properly hot weather is embarrassing. There wasn't this much fretting the day before Eunice!

• Like 6

Posted
25 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The fuss the media are making over a day of properly hot weather is embarrassing. There wasn't this much fretting the day before Eunice!

They never used to make a big deal of it during the 90s, but it was usually after we’ve experienced a solid 10 day hot spell, and the temp would have to hit 29-30c for a good few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I'm intrigued by the annual interest in maximum temperatures, and particularly whether they can truly be verified.  A few years ago the Scottish June maximum record was broken (admittedly briefly) by that recorded at Strathclyde Park.  At an early stage this was marked as provisional, pending further investigation.  We were told that an 'official' investigation had shown that there was an ice cream van in the vicinity and that it's generator exhaust may have affected readings.  The reading was consequently declared void.  Apparently this decision was in accord with official regulations on exposure, so fair enough.

Every time there are exceptional temperature maxima recorded, you can be sure of one site which will be mentioned, Heathrow Airport.  The Strathclyde Park reading was void because it might have been affected by unatural outside heat sources, machinery exhaust.  Is it even remotely possible that the same criteria apply to a busy airport, so why do some sites appear immune from regulations?  My understanding is that reports from similar sites in many countries are not included in temperature extremes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
3 minutes ago, dryfie said:

A few years ago the Scottish June maximum record was broken (admittedly briefly) by that recorded at Strathclyde Park.  At an early stage this was marked as provisional, pending further investigation.  We were told that an 'official' investigation had shown that there was an ice cream van in the vicinity and that it's generator exhaust may have affected readings.  The reading was consequently declared void. 

That made me LOL so hard. What a typically British ballzup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just a few record to look out for ready for tomorrow and if any of these will get broken

June Highest Max - 35.6C (28th June 1976)
Date Highest Max - 33.9C (17th June 1917)
June Highest CET Max - 30.6C (29th June 2019)
Date Highest CET Max - 28.3C (17th June 1957)
June Highest CET Mean - 23.0C (3rd June 1947)
Date Highest CET Mean - 21.4C (17th June 1917)
June Highest CET Min - 17.2C (22nd June 1941)
Date Highest CET Min - 14.9C (17th June 1896 and 1986)

I will take each of these in turn now

June Highest Max - 35.6C (28th June 1976)

This one is still a possibility of getting broken but with most predictions now having maximums coming up short compared to this then we could say with a fair degree of certainty now that 28th June 1976's max of 35.6C will probably still be standing in number 1 spot once all data is verified but breaking this can't be totally ruled out.

Date Highest Max - 33.9C (17th June 1917)

Now this particular record from 17th June 1917 is looking almost a definite bet for falling tomorrow as the predicted highest maximums are within the range of this 33.9C record. Watch this space as I feel a new date record for 17th June could be about to be set pushing 17th June 1917 down to 2nd position.

June Highest CET Max - 30.6C (29th June 2019)

Now this one really depends on how widespread the heat is within the CET measurement area and how many stations measure maximums over 30C. As the heat is predicted to be over a fairly wide area then this one could be under threat. Even if some of the CET stations only register high 20's these could be offset by the areas that hit 33 or 34C which could make this a close call. It will probably come up short but I wouldn't be surprised to see a CET max tomorrow in very high 20's or even over 30C.

Date Highest CET Max - 28.3C (17th June 1957)

As with the individual date record the date CET is under real threat tomorrow as the CET region only needs to get an average max of over 28.3C to be broken. A more realistic bet than the overall highest daily June CET max. This one has stood since 1957 and looks under real threat of falling tomorrow.

June Highest CET Mean - 23.0C (3rd June 1947)

This one could be under threat too as the predicted mins across the CET region are in the 14 to 15C range followed by maxes in the 27 to 34C range. Using the mid points of 14.5C (Average Min) and 30.5C (Average Max) this gives a predicted average mean CET of 22.5C for tomorrow. This is only 0.5C below the highest ever June daily mean of 23.0C from 3rd June 1947. It wouldn't take things getting that much hotter to break this one so this one needs watching.

Date Highest CET Mean - 21.4C (17th June 1917)

If the predicted mins and maxes in the CET region come off as expected this record is well and truly gone as the projected mean of 22.5C worked out above is 1.1C above this record date mean of 21.4C from 17th June 1917. This one has stood for almost 105 years but the long wait to break the 17th June highest CET mean could be about to be over tomorrow.

June Highest CET Min - 17.2C (22nd June 1941)

Now of all the records this one is probably the most safe of them all as the predicted minimums across the CET region are 2 to 3C below this record so for now this month it seems 22nd June 1941's record CET highest min of 17.2C is safe but we still have a number of days left in June to have another shot at breaking this one. This is a record that I won't really be looking at for breaking tomorrow.

Date Highest CET Min - 14.9C (17th June 1896 and 1986)

This date highest CET min record from both 17th June 1896 and 1986 of 14.9C looks to be a possibility of getting broken. I think this one will come up short however but there is an outside possibility that this one could fall and only needs a CET average min value in the 15's to break it.

Top 5's of all the above CET record categories

Just in case we have no realistic chance of breaking all time records in the 6 CET categories I have mentioned I have listed the top 5's in all of the categories as we have a good chance of setting top 5's in all of them, especially the date categories rather than the overall daily highest June categories

Date CET Highest Min Top 5                       June CET Highest Min Top 5                     
17th June 1896 + 1986        14.90              22nd June 1941                                 17.20
17th June 1917                     14.70              25th June 1935                                  16.60
17th June 2005                     14.10              29th June 1987                                  16.50
17th June 2002                     13.90              3rd June 1947 + 30th June 1952     16.40
17th June 1960 + 2021        13.70              26th June 2020                                  16.20

Date CET Highest Max Top 5                     June CET Highest Max Top 5                     
17th June 1957                     28.30              29th June 2019                                  30.60
17th June 1893 + 1917        28.10              28th June 1976                                  30.30
17th June 2017                     26.60              29th June 1976                                  30.10
17th June 1921 + 2000        26.50              2nd June 1947 + 26th June 1878    30.00
17th June 1989                     25.90              6th June 1950 + 27th June 1976     29.90

Date CET Highest Mean Top 5                  June CET Highest Mean Top 5                   
17th June 1917                     21.40             3rd June 1947                                     23.00
17th June 1893 + 1957        20.20             27th June 1878                                   22.70
17th June 2017                     20.00             25th June 2020 + 28th June 1976    22.60
17th June 1960                     19.40             6th June 1950 + 27th June 1976      22.50
17th June 2000                     19.30             29th June 1976                                   22.40

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
4 hours ago, Beano said:

Wonder if anyone knows...I'd we had a high pressure over us throughout summer starting at 0° , what would be the highest temp the UK could get to at our latitude eventually? That is without any influence from the south or north?

I reckon with no imports and mixing with a static high pressure, we'd be maxxing around low thirties until the sun can do no more. I think temps above 34c you need to import some of it. Last year showed how we can make our own heat, especially nowadays!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

I reckon with no imports and mixing with a static high pressure, we'd be maxxing around low thirties until the sun can do no more. I think temps above 34c you need to import some of it. Last year showed how we can make our own heat, especially nowadays!

I think summer 2018 was a good example of this one when maxes under the often overhead high pressure were low 30's in clear sunny skies. We only set our highest daily maxes under the brief plume from the south around 26th and 27th July 2018.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

That's just the media in general these days..they sensationalize everything to the nth degree

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
40 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

This.

When the UK is near the center of a high although we generate our own heat pool so to speak, we struggle to warm our domestic uppers much above 15C and so although we have higher lapse rates, your always going to struggle to get much above 90F.

Most of the hottest Maxima have come from reasonably low pressure as a breakdown has been proceeding. I believe that Aug 90 was the most stable when we pulled 37C from 17C uppers and 1023mb but that was apparently after a month of near zero rainfall so soil moisture content was extremely low.

Posted

I hope the June record does NOT go.

It seems silly to have it go after two days of warm weather then immediate cold again, when in the past it was amidst a proper heatwave of several weeks in 1976.

Ppl will remember the month of June 2022 as having the "record highest temperature" when it was an otherwise mediocre month. Seems silly. A month not worth the accolade.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Here we are folks - the peak of the mini heatwave. Where will have the highest temperature and what will it be? I'm just going to go for a boring 34c at Heathrow. All things being equal it usually ends up hottest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Wondering what the June temperature record is for the South Coast?

Any data would be interesting on this as tomorrow looks like seeing 30c + as it stands with a 'bent back' NE flow off a Hot land mass sourced over the near continent,a ripe situation for our hottest temperatures on the South Coast with no sea moderation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can't see any records going today to be honest. The 34-35 touted by the media and the Met Office seem way overboard, and driven solely by the usual rogue UKV runs before a hot spell. It always churns out some crazy temperatures. I think we'll just about nudge above 32C/90F.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

It doesn’t feel particularly noteworthy currently here in Surrey very nice summer morning but around 18c partial clear skies …. It’s usually already over 21c at this time on days when we go above 32c - anyway time will tell ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
6 hours ago, Thundershine said:

I hope the June record does NOT go.

It seems silly to have it go after two days of warm weather then immediate cold again, when in the past it was amidst a proper heatwave of several weeks in 1976.

Ppl will remember the month of June 2022 as having the "record highest temperature" when it was an otherwise mediocre month. Seems silly. A month not worth the accolade.

A bit like July 2015. We had one memorable hot day on the 1st of that month (the hottest July day on record for parts of Scotland in fact), but the rest of the month was rather meh and quite forgettable.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Here we are folks - the peak of the mini heatwave. Where will have the highest temperature and what will it be? I'm just going to go for a boring 34c at Heathrow. All things being equal it usually ends up hottest.

Makes me chuckle, that a mere few hundreds miles from me, there is talk of highest June temperatures, whilst I currently endure moderate rain and temps of 14c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Only in the UK do the news outlets make such a huge fuss over a couple of hot days in SUMMER. We are apparently always hotter than *insert place here*. They make it sound as if it's world breaking news. 

I can appreciate that our climate is a bit bland, but we get hot days at some point every single summer without fail (even 2012). So why would it be newsworthy?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
8 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Only in the UK do the news outlets make such a huge fuss over a couple of hot days in SUMMER. We are apparently always hotter than *insert place here*. They make it sound as if it's world breaking news. 

I can appreciate that our climate is a bit bland, but we get hot days at some point every single summer without fail (even 2012). So why would it be newsworthy?

Well I will put the temperature now in my back patio and send this to BBC Crap and Sky Sxxxe and it will become news around the World as being one of the hottest places on the planet at the moment

20220617_094229.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

The media know that us Brits love to talk about the weather so this is a good way to get clicks. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
14 hours ago, dryfie said:

Every time there are exceptional temperature maxima recorded, you can be sure of one site which will be mentioned, Heathrow Airport.  The Strathclyde Park reading was void because it might have been affected by unatural outside heat sources, machinery exhaust.  Is it even remotely possible that the same criteria apply to a busy airport, so why do some sites appear immune from regulations?  My understanding is that reports from similar sites in many countries are not included in temperature extremes.

Heathrow often does have the maximum temperatures recorded during a heatwave, but not exclusively so. The two all time record highs were in Kent in 2003 and near Cambridge when that was beaten a few years ago. We also then often have places like Kew, Northolt and St James's Park. There don't seem to be any other official stations in central London, where you may expect the highest temperatures to be recorded. 

Heathrow is a funny one with how often it comes out on top, but I don't think it has anything to do with being near a runway. Heathrow is the most "inland" area of Greater London - the largest urban conurbation in the UK, so most affected by the urban heat island effect, which is also located in the area of the country (south east England) that tends to get to get the warmest summer weather. So it kind of ends up on top by default. Maybe if we had an official station in Leicester Square, in the heart of London, that would come out on top. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, danm said:

Heathrow often does have the maximum temperatures recorded during a heatwave, but not exclusively so. The two all time record highs were in Kent in 2003 and near Cambridge when that was beaten a few years ago. We also then often have places like Kew, Northolt and St James's Park. There don't seem to be any other official stations in central London, where you may expect the highest temperatures to be recorded. 

Heathrow is a funny one with how often it comes out on top, but I don't think it has anything to do with beating near a runway. Heathrow is the most "inland" area of Greater London - the largest urban conurbation in the UK, so most affected by the urban heat island effect, which is also located in the area of the country (south east England) that tends to get to get the warmest summer weather in the country. So it kind of ends up on top by default. Maybe if we had an official station in Leicester Square, in the heart of London, that would come out on top. 

Only reason it was the all time record here in 2019 was we hung on to the clearer skies for longer. If it was clear around Heathrow until 4pm then I reckon we’d have seen a 39c that day!

Posted

We seem to break records at the drop of a hat these days. We've had absolutely no hot weather yet this year, yet last nights minimum temp here of 17.2C beat the previous June record by 0.8C.

So essentially the warmest June night in 42 years of records with no run up at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
15 hours ago, dryfie said:

I'm intrigued by the annual interest in maximum temperatures, and particularly whether they can truly be verified.  A few years ago the Scottish June maximum record was broken (admittedly briefly) by that recorded at Strathclyde Park.  At an early stage this was marked as provisional, pending further investigation.  We were told that an 'official' investigation had shown that there was an ice cream van in the vicinity and that it's generator exhaust may have affected readings.  The reading was consequently declared void.  Apparently this decision was in accord with official regulations on exposure, so fair enough.

The Met Office has talked about the concrete of Heathrow, but other settings in the area such as Kew gardens do reach similar temperatures , so LHR isn't that anomalous and is considered to reflect what is happening in GT. London. There will be a complementary set. The ice cream tale is at the end of this 

wxenclosure.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

UK Heatwave of summer 2018, why does your car temp not count, the thermometer in your sunny garden. And what's that about an ice cream van and Scotland's non record-breaking temperature?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Today's weather is ordinary and typical for the warmest day of June where I live. Yes a lot of hooplah over this in my opinion.. just an opinion.

• Like 4