Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2022 Chat

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Thank goodness it's starting to cool down here now, wind like a hairdryer and touched 29c currently 23. Best part of the day coming up..

Posted
31 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Very true. 32C is pretty standard and has been for decades so a very typical heatwave, or rather... ‘hot day’

Less common this early in summer, though. We haven’t recorded temperatures in excess of 32’C pre solstice very many times.

As for warnings, people do suffer and even die in these conditions. The warnings are for health services to see an increase in admissions, and are warranted.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
27 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Very true. 32C is pretty standard and has been for decades so a very typical heatwave, or rather... ‘hot day’

Indeed - in fact a post from last year I calculated the average annual maximum of each year from 1875 to 2021, it was 32.3. It varied from decade to decade though - around cool period from the 1960s to the 1980s it lowered to 31 but generally the annual maximum in theory should be 30-33. Last year’s maximum of 32.2 was very slightly below the norm and was the first to be below normal since 2010 (31.7). Seeing as we hit above that 2022 is marginally above average now but whether we will go higher later in the summer… we shall see!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

Reached 32.8 Degrees today on my station ! Was batting in that weather for 2 hours in blazing heat ! I got heat stroke  

Posted

Sun almost down and 26C, perfect conditions for a beer in the garden.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Absolutely totally bonkers reaction from the media about a warm one day wonder.  It hasn't been especially humid today despite all the trolling from weather presenters.  The rest of the world laugh at us for very good reason.  Yes it has been very warm for a few hours after a couple of warm days this week.  I know everyone is different but to me warm is 28-32, hot 33-37 and very hot 38+. 

• Like 4

Posted

Yes out in the garden now to enjoy the cooler fresher air. My hay fever has been terrible today what with all the grass cuts for hay. 

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 minutes ago, Portsmouth Sun said:

Absolutely totally bonkers reaction from the media about a warm one day wonder.  It hasn't been especially humid today despite all the trolling from weather presenters.  The rest of the world laugh at us for very good reason.  Yes it has been very warm for a few hours after a couple of warm days this week.  I know everyone is different but to me warm is 28-32, hot 33-37 and very hot 38+. 

It feels warmer because it has followed winter and two months of mediocre dross (in SE England anyway, one 27C day excepted).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
22 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Less common this early in summer, though. We haven’t recorded temperatures in excess of 32’C pre solstice very many times.

As for warnings, people do suffer and even die in these conditions. The warnings are for health services to see an increase in admissions, and are warranted.

Still an overreaction… much like another recent health issue…

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Still an overreaction… much like another recent health issue…

It’s always an overreaction to those who don’t suffer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Jersey broke its June record with 33.2c, it was also the 15th hottest day ever recorded with records dating back to 1894

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It seems almost everywhere, except here, recorded their highest temps of the year.

I managed 25.6°C but yesterday reached 26.7°C, not even in the hot category! Still, it has been beautiful, and more of that for next week. Sunshine might end up above average for June here, and that hasn't happened many times over the last decade. In fact, only once in the last 7 years.

Posted
2 hours ago, MattStoke said:

In Stoke. Really??  

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Saw Channel 5's main news by chance....first time I have seen it..... Absolutely ridiculous OTT coverage of this, led the news for first 10 minutes of what is more or less a one day wonder and restricted area at that. News anchor was outside doing the news in a park with their own thermometer. 

Just becoming farcical nowadays, the media is sensationalist,  one hot day is a heatwave.. reporting no longer measured. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Max here today was 29.1 °C, easily my 2022 high. Could be quite some while before I break that, quite possibly not at all this year. As has been pointed out, this wasn't anything staggeringly exceptional, but it was certainly a hot day for this neck of the woods. Luckily I didn't have a huge amount to do so could sit outdoors in the shade with a book and cold drink!

• Like 1

Posted

Can’t believe how much media coverage the heatwave had for yesterday, it is nothing unusual, we get 32/33 normally as the hottest day, only difference is it is a little earlier than normal 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Went from sweating in bed 8 hours ago to having to put jacket on outside this morning. Colorado event

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days and balmy evenings.

I'd have loved the hot spell to have peaked on Sunday but the freshness today is absolutely glorious. I was in Albania a few weeks ago and 34° everyday gets oppressive with no escape other than AirCon. Hoping for plenty more rinse & repeats

Posted

"The UK recorded its hottest day of the year on Friday, with temperatures reaching over 30C in the early afternoon, meteorologists said.

It was the third day in a row that temperature records had been broken in the UK, where it was over 28C on Wednesday and 29.5C on Thursday."

Come on Guardian, you're not supposed to be the one to write sensationalist nonsense. "Temperature records" are broken every single year! Sometimes on 2nd January if it's warmer than it was on the 1st

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
56 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Missing the sun already! 

Me too it's currently heavy cloud up here and drizzly with the odd heavy spot or two I'm just hoping the heavy rain forecast isn't too heavy granted the ground is dry and could use the moisture but can't wait till next week when hopefully the blue skies return

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Still very warm here in London. Sun is shining, temperature already up at 23c. 

D4076DEF-125C-45D1-B49D-396BE42ED4D3.thumb.jpeg.dbf5d2036ddaea7141246cbd6116768f.jpeg

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Not long till some showers roll in here too looking at the radar.