Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
9 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

In a word, no. Things haven’t come together as expected and instead it seems mid-latitude blocking is more likely vs high latitude. 

My idea of a colder/blocked mid-2nd half of February looks dead in the water now. 

Thanks, not what I wanted to hear but expected that to be the case!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
37 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

In a word, no. Things haven’t come together as expected and instead it seems mid-latitude blocking is more likely vs high latitude. 

My idea of a colder/blocked mid-2nd half of February looks dead in the water now. 

It might just be delayed to early March.

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Assume this run will show a weaker lower strat and trop flow in the 12/14 day period. would be a nice trend to see with a trop response pretty immediate 

Looks to me like a shades of 18 - is it not a displacement wave 1 downwelling with a wave 2 upwelling?

Could contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Spiralimage.thumb.png.53c3f43e683fc3bd2ceb1b251092c7dc.pngimage.thumb.png.a5a269555119a1cabab2db41275006fc.png 

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It might just be delayed to early March.

Could well be but always a bit of a bad sign when cold potential is pushed back!

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

This one is at the end of March...would have been nice mid Jan!

How many times has this been said in recent years?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
29 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Likely why the CFS has been seeing April as a notably cold month recently over March.

This one is at the end of March...would have been nice mid Jan!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Pattern, Outdoors, Accessories

Oh btw here is the latest EC seasonal anomaly for spring

ps2png-worker-commands-5f89b4cc6c-4lfpl-

Looks to me like it's seeing at least one month in there with a significant Greenland blocking signal

That spells a very wet spring if charts like that become reality. Cold too. Yuck!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 02/02/2023 at 17:28, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Thought I'd revisit my previous outlook and do my next where I believe we will be headed😃

Really happy with how that outlook has played out and decent on the dates too 😁

As we see the MJO phase 3 now extending into February here's where I'd expect to be by approx 15th Feb, Note the switch from higher to lower pressure near the Eastern Seaboard and the lower pressure in Greenland transitioning to higher heights 

Screenshot-20230202-170554-Samsung-Notes Screenshot-20230202-170418-Chrome.jpg

20230120-192057.png

Likely to continue to see Tropical Cyclone development across the Indian Ocean 

Roughly another week in phase 3 though the JMA is still persisting on an even further extention. 

ECMF-BC-1.png GEFS.png

JMAN.pngNCFS.png 

CFS week 2 starting to piece together one of the composites for phase 3 👌

20230206-012415.png20230206-012308.png

And an active Indian ocean continues 

• Like 1

Posted

Genuine distance between vortices with proper ridge in the right place.

Could contain: Spiral, Grenade, Weapon, AmmunitionCould contain: Diagram, Plan, Plot, Chart

Caveat to this is it does have the hallmarks of the 2019 event, and we know what happened, wonder if the Met Office and other long ranger telecons gurus in here think there'll be a blocker from it downwelling and that's why they are playing it down.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

10 hours ago, SLEETY said:

So your basically saying dont believe the gfs if its showing cold in the ensembles but believe it if its trending mild in the ensembles like it is now,and you are,how silly....🙄

No, that’s not what I said. I said the cold was never supported by its ensembles and therefore never should have been assumed to be a probable outcome.  

Posted
5 hours ago, skifreak said:

Some serious pish gets posted in this thread.  

I looked on this thread and was as surprised as you. It is only 2 weeks since huge swathes of the west of Britain were under severe flooding from that "dead" Atlantic. Also I was up in the North-West during a recent gale when it blew a hoolie. The first half of January was incredibly wet and that didn't come from the east.

If you look at the charts right now the Atlantic is still far from shut down if you are in the North-West of Britain. There is a high cell over southern Britain but that is getting moved east too with mild south-westerlies coming up the west side and around the top.

• Like 2

Posted

It rained  nearly every day here from mid-december to mid-january,before drying out,so this dryer spell is very welcome.

Looks like turning very much milder by end of week,but after that could become interesting.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

failed easterly model re-analysis

The top chart for each is what the actual chart will look like for tomorrow Feb 7th and the charts below are the archived charts from Feb 3rd on to the 6th for each.

I would say ECM is probably closest, then UKMO, then GFS though ECM and UKMO moved a little to GFS and GFS vice versa.

The reason GFS got it wrong and had the more amplified patter is because it had the Euro trough undercutting back W propping up the high and brining in continental flow.

We can see that neither ECM or UKMO went for this and had more forcing from the W flow although they slightly overdid it.

Others may have a different opinion but the  Euro heights are the most notable difference.

GFS 00z

gfsnh-0-24.png

gfsnh-0-144.pnggfsnh-0-120.pnggfsnh-0-96.pnggfsnh-0-72.png

ECM 00z

ECH1-24.GIF?06-12

ECH1-144.GIF?00ECH1-120.GIF?00ECH1-96.GIF?00ECH1-72.GIF?00

UKMO 00z

ukmonh-0-24.png

ukmonh-0-144.pngukmonh-0-120.pngukmonh-0-96.pngukmonh-0-72.png

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

No downwelling, 30hpa is the limit 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map, Face, Person, Head

where it stalls. Dropped to 52% from 90 yesterday. 
I feel like I’m fooled once again by gfs. If EC doesn’t confirm the (possible) mw with the updated zonal wind chart later today… well gfs is for the 🗑️ 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The block is proving to be solid this morning with no low pressure over us at day 10 now on the ECM.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Oh btw here is the latest EC seasonal anomaly for spring

ps2png-worker-commands-5f89b4cc6c-4lfpl-

Looks to me like it's seeing at least one month in there with a significant Greenland blocking signal

March and April are both (march also has a strong euro trough ) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Could contain: Chart

00z if its dry and overcast you like this is the output for you this morning, way above average well at least its dry or now. I'll be the first to say it  if only it was July lol. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Pretty conclusive ENS - Mild all the way to the bank.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

And ECMF surely trending the same.

Could contain: Chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
8 hours ago, Don said:

Could well be but always a bit of a bad sign when cold potential is pushed back!

It's not going to happen in the next few weeks so let's push it back till December!

My favourite month for cold

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 hour ago, Vikos said:

No downwelling, 30hpa is the limit 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Heat Map, Face, Person, Head

where it stalls. Dropped to 52% from 90 yesterday. 
I feel like I’m fooled once again by gfs. If EC doesn’t confirm the (possible) mw with the updated zonal wind chart later today… well gfs is for the 🗑️ 

That 52% was the 18z.  Must admit, i thought it had gone west!  Back to 84% on GEFS on the 0z.

And a much stronger warming with a split on the 0z op, with reversal at T240 - at this point we’d be reaching for the Berlin site to see what the ECM op is showing, but sadly it’s not available this year.  (It’s a bit shaky trusting the ensembles of either model due to lower resolution.)

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1