Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - A cold start to Spring?

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the Spring chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Evening all,charts at last beginning to follow the same path hold on to your hats a strong north/northeast Arctic blast with snow on the agenda let’s hope the chopping and changing every day is coming to an end let’s follow the yellow brick road or should that be white brick road.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Icon will say no precipitation 🤣😂. Blimey I only went an hour and it's gone mental in here , great stuff . 

what a great ECM but also all hail the nearly MIGHTY Navgem, its not to bad afterall tonight.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

Glad the NAVGEM is on board! 😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
3 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Icon will say no precipitation 🤣😂. Blimey I only went an hour and it's gone mental in here , great stuff . 

what a great ECM but also all hail the nearly MIGHTY Navgem, its not to bad afterall tonight.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoorsnot for me. A bit of slush that h

Better a mild outlier 🤣😂, as you say it's hard to get lying snow in March so the colder the better 😜😉.

Nah, not for me Clive

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
1 minute ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

ECM is far better then this..as it had no signs of the atlantic breaking through..i think that cold shown on the navgem would be shortlived

Oh absolutely ECM all day but it's great to see the cold trend growing and the mildies ( for once ) will be hopefully straw clutching soon. Hopefully 🤞

• Like 2

Posted

As stated earlier ukmo to me has been smelling the impact on the affects from the ssw over the past few days and if anything upgrading as we are counting down. Great ecm let’s hope we can get counting down now and a firm up on the broader picture. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

No support from pros ? Have you read the metoffice long range forecast ?or watched the videos on their site ? Or did you see the Meteogroup long range on countryfile ?  Which pros are you referring to?

You missed his word, when.👍

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This evening we have taken a significant step towards a wintry outlook. The gfs is very isolated now with the rest going very cold!

Nice to see the Met Office on board too. They mention possibility of disruptive snow next week where both air masses meet. They wouldn't say that unless they really favour it!

Odds on now for cold and snow, it would be great if we could count it down without any hiccups!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

SEVERE COLD and COPIOUOS amounts of SNOW - WHITE GOLD will be here in WALES CYMRU very very soon according to the GFS/ECM/GEM/NAVGEM etc etc etc - GET WAXING THEM SLEDGES - SKIS AND BOOTS AT THE READY⛷️⛷️❄️❄️ - THE GRAIGERHORN WILL BE OPEN FOR SKIING VERY SHORTLY (or for silly buggers in their cars to turn over onto their roofs and lose their axels, you won't catch me going up and down the Graigerhorn in a veichle once the snow and ice is down - NO B****y WAY LOL) - MY HUSKY Gracie will be biting at the bit to get out in the conditions - HUSKY WEATHERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR LOL! OOOOOOOOWOOOOOO! Down boy lol!

ECMOPEU12_216_1.png

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

No support from pros ? Have you read the metoffice long range forecast ?or watched the videos on their site ? Or did you see the Meteogroup long range on countryfile ?  Which pros are you referring to?

Think you need to re-read my post mate before piling on

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Clear downward trend on uppers for London on mogreps ( great ) then some scatter, the saga will roll on .

Could contain: Chart, Plot

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

JEM heading in a similar direction. IF the GFS jumps on board were all going to be looking at how far south these systems off the Atlantic will go.

but were not at that stage just yet.

interesting that of all models it was the GEM that was the first to throw this scenario out there as a possible evolution !

J168-21.thumb.gif.9c49959efe6328f0307309196adf1252.gif

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Clear downward trend on uppers for London on mogreps ( great ) then some scatter, the saga will roll on .

Yep. The Leeds graph (that's where my personal interest lies for the weekend 10th-12th) shows some pretty cold runs but most return to above the -5 850 line after the 7th

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Crikey. So that nice repeating sliding low scenario that the gfs picked up late last week is now the ecms favoured outcome. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
9 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The Metoffice don't tend to mention the risk of 'disruptive snow' without being fairly confident that it could occur.

We just have to wait and see how this pans out over the next couple of days or so. There will still be twists and turns in the modelling.

My thoughts are that the operationals are starting to get a better grip on downwelling from the SSW, so I'm leaning towards the modelling firming up on cold as we go forward, rather than downgrading the chances. We'll see.

Remember Michael Fish circa 1987?

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

The Metoffice don't tend to mention the risk of 'disruptive snow' without being fairly confident that it could occur.

We just have to wait and see how this pans out over the next couple of days or so. There will still be twists and turns in the modelling.

My thoughts are that the operationals are starting to get a better grip on downwelling from the SSW, so I'm leaning towards the modelling firming up on cold as we go forward, rather than downgrading the chances. We'll see.

Very much agree with this. I think the models are finally grasping the significant SSW that occurred and its knock on effects. The only negative is its heading for second week of March which I think should still be overcome by the fact that it's deep cold. Time will tell

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

The 12z EPS follows the Op with colder Days 7-10.
These complex SSW could be a time for the high resolution run to shine against its ensembles.

Could contain: Chart

This is De Bilt in Holland, but it's true for UK locations as well.

The extended holds on to that warmup, but that's all even more uncertain than otherwise.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
18 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

However:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Device, Screwdriver, Tool

The red box indicates days 10-15, which aren't shown on the other graphic. Looks a bit different when you see this.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
4 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

guys the ECM mean is fantastic!😍

animdfn1.gifanimkmr3.gif

animqzg6.gifanimtdj4.gif

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
55 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

Day 10 and what a run 

Could contain: Art, Graphics, Modern Art, Outdoors

Could contain: Accessories, Art, Modern Art, Pattern, Outdoors

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Blackboard

Oh no its western based🙃

• Like 3