Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

CET would make a run for going sub zero with the 18z I'd reckon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

At first glance, the Control is nothing special at 180, but actually is pretty cold and getting colder.  I don't think it's correct, but it could go on to deliver something of interest further on?

image.thumb.png.3dd5a01e1e0c78bd3a72a9a1bfc246ce.png image.thumb.png.1630bd0e4948ded86b0ff2b34bab9008.png

• Like 1

Posted

GFS18z yet again up to its party antics, somehow shows the UK in a no mans land, disrupts lows to the SW and then builds a scandi high, place in the box ' odd'.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Woldsedge said:

I know the GFS looks an absolute pigs ear tonight, in fact an utter mess. However it does look on the cold side. This chart from Dec 81 also looks an absolute disaster area but it was absolutely perishing believe me, once cold becomes embedded at the surface, it can take a hell of a lot to shift it it certain circumstances 

IMG_0221.jpeg

In all honesty I sense areas north of, say, Birmingham look in a fantastic position - the cold looks like getting in, the Atlantic doesn't look aligned in a way to mix milder air to northern areas, and plenty of instability to come. Not a cert but odds are good. It's the southern half which I suspect have a gut wrenching few days ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
4 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

Why is the border between snow and rain always the M4? Is this by chance or is there a geographical explanation why this happens a lot?

this is so true, even the weather people local presenters would often say M4 corridor, and quite often it would be snow to the north of this and rain in the south quite often

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

yeah but 7 degrees still on Tuesday according to that!

You need to watch/listen to full forecast. It would suggest they are not paying too much attention to GFS...

Edited by ribster

Posted
1 hour ago, Phil Blake said:

Could be one of these times the gfs finds a signal. Looses it and brings it back closer to range. 

I didn't really get the @Scott Ingham day thing as you had mentioned a few times the cold could land couple of days either side as you can't pin down the lag exactly. Anyway keep it up. 

I didn’t get the Scott Ingham day full stop I found it a little embarrassing as I’m just a weather enthusiast tbh Phil! But if a forecast comes off why would you not be enthusiastic about it when you’re learning. 

Edited by Norrance
Just toning it down a bit
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
2 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

That will be such a waste, just ignore the baby wetting in here, it gets to me too but you and the other knowledgeable folks in here is what makes it the best weather chat on the net

I've heard its going to be very wet around Birmingham and quite unusually snowy around Warwickshire so yes you will be getting wet and il be building snowmen with you're nephew and niece!!! 

*Don't remove it's humour between my brother and me!* 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
11 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

A disaster would be a mild sw flow.

Have to look quite a long way out of the reliable timeframe to find any of that, even in my location

image.thumb.png.f05f6fa3d052dc5f2bbdfa8718abd324.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
19 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

It’s tempting mate!

I will just post in the regionals I think tbh from now on 

Come on, don’t be childish, I really enjoy your content you post here, so please, don’t let anyone make you go…

tell you what, in comparison with the wetterzentrale forum this place is like a ponyfarm, over there we fight till blood, it’s like a battlefield between coldies and warmies right now 😂

and still, it’s just weather…

• Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

That will be such a waste, just ignore the baby wetting in here, it gets to me too but you and the other knowledgeable folks in here is what makes it the best weather chat on the net

Mark thank you I just have a lot that goes on in the background in my life and this hobby is supposed to be an escape and an opportunity to learn something and then you get personally attacked ……

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Mean is quietly upgrading ...

image.thumb.png.ac3092b4eb1a7262b3679c883ecec112.png

Looks just like the eps NWS. In fact, the members are excellent at 192 and the the long term solution from the op e.g heights transferring to the ne is not w/o support either.

What a pub run btw, cold right out to the end…

image.thumb.png.49b7dc14a919f5be83d0a77f8caff33d.png

Edited by Uncertainty
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I didn’t get the Scott Ingham day full stop I found it a little embarrassing as I’m just a weather enthusiast tbh Phil! But if a forecast comes off why would you not be enthusiastic about it when you’re learning. This place is a my d*** is bigger than yours atmosphere n i just care about the science only! I’ll get more wrong than right!!

Please keep going, if you stop then I’ve only got 4 people left posting on this thread as the others have all been blocked! 😉👍🏻

• Like 7

Posted
21 minutes ago, Woldsedge said:

I know the GFS looks an absolute pigs ear tonight, in fact an utter mess. However it does look on the cold side. This chart from Dec 81 also looks an absolute disaster area but it was absolutely perishing believe me, once cold becomes embedded at the surface, it can take a hell of a lot to shift it it certain circumstances 

IMG_0221.jpeg

Is there any science behind the cold being embedded harder to shift or is this a bit of a myth? ....serious question btw!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Must be a number of forecasts being rewritten, then rewritten again!

How on earth can you keep up with all this!

Sense says don’t tune in until Sunday now when things ‘may’ be clearer, but we won’t!

• Like 3

Posted

Just ran through the GEFS at 192. 

Anyone wanting to make any sense out of them is going to be a better man than me!!

Colder than last set, but clearly very high levels of uncertainty and I suspect across all output we may see wild swings in coming days.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Vikos said:

Come on, don’t be childish, I really enjoy your content you post here, so please, don’t let anyone make you go…

tell you what, in comparison with the wetterzentrale forum this place is like a ponyfarm, over there we fight till blood, it’s like a battlefield between coldies and warmies right now 😂

and still, it’s just weather…

Thanks again for the kind words mate I also enjoy your content btw  you’ve brought something good to this forum this year

Edited by Norrance
Toning it down
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!
6 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.gif.c6236e2b84ea5bffd9719e98dbe4d365.gif

beautiful

BFTP

Completely correct, beautifully predicted from the outset  by long range then GFS +260 hrs. 

18z GFS looks cold with another potential cold spell end of Jan 

6 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.gif.c6236e2b84ea5bffd9719e98dbe4d365.gif

beautiful

Edited by Ladyofthestorm
Somehow posted it twice lol
  • Like 3