Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

WYorksWeather Depending on what you consider to be summer weather, I'd say most consider late May and most of September here to be an extention of summer anyway, with the vast majority of days above 20c.

2005 almost had 5 consecutive months with a 30c recorded, which was impressive because May was quite cool that year. It remains the last time we saw a 30c in May here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

WYorksWeather

I'd argue that was the case in 2018. In fact the heat started in mid April and we had consistent warmth right the way through to middle part of October, bar a small blip at the end of April (down here anyway). Now that's a year I would bank!

Posted

sunny_vale Yeah I suppose it depends on whether we talk about warmth or heat. Consistent warmth has happened as you say in 2018, but I don't think we've yet had consistently hot weather dominating from May to September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

WYorksWeather That's true in terms of heat for sure. Maybe one year, can't see it being this one sadly 😅

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

WYorksWeather that certainly will be a shock to the system when it eventually does happen. According to the study published by Oltmanns, Holliday et al. back in March, we can expect a record breaking hot summer within the next five years due to how the atmosphere responds to freshwater in the Atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

raz.org.rain Hopefully we will have a record hot August in that time. The gap between the hottest July (28.3c) and hottest August (27.1c) is quite high when the average is only 0.5c warmer in July. Maybe the first 300 hour August too?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

raz.org.rain Personally, I would just really like to have a year of seasonal weather for a change. 2003 and 2018 achieved this, so it can be done. Though has been incredibly difficult since.

I think a lot of us on here would be happy with a seasonal year.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

TwisterGirl81 19c is your min temp on your thermostat, so if your temp drops below that your heating will kick in regardless of your timer settings. Its a cold setting override.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

5C and chucking it down. 5 weeks today is the first day of summer.

I am not upset to be working night shifts this weekend.

• Like 3

Posted

Looks like temps at least are set to improve as we go into next week. Up to somewhere around normal which will feel tropical after several days of single figure highs. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Don't really know why people still look at the weather models anymore, it's basically like fortune telling. Every model run is just another guess at what MIGHT happen but at the end of the day, going by the law of probability, cloudy & wet dross will always win out. I'd say, going by experience, 75% chance the usual grey/wet crap, 20% a couple of nicer days/half days in the coming week, 5% a pattern change to settled (LOL). Just funny how any nice periods of weather are always 10 days away, just like an addict chasing his next high- He imagines how good it will be but it never arrives! Weather technology, in all honesty, is the most pathetic & outdated tech known to man. Everything else has made leaps & bounds but weather tech is still stuck in the stone age. Completely unreliable & inaccurate. Yeah I know weather systems are chaotic but this is mankind we're talking about. We invented rocket ships, hadron collider, multi storey skyscrapers, ISS, internet but accurately predicting the weather, even 4 days out? IMPOSSIBLE, unless you use the law of averages & determine it will be grey & wet then you'll most likely be correct!

Edited by SunSean
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

6c, raining, grim.

Oh well, it's a day in front of the telly and having a punt or five😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning all, thanks all for the kind messages yesterday. Was a very uncomfortable day but at least I’ve got a view out over Poole harbour harbour from my hospital bed 🫠 shame the sky isn’t a little more blue. Will find out if surgery is needed on my ankle this morning. Looks like I’m going to be stuck here a while and will have to suck up weeks more of cloud and rain…

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 5

Posted

SunSean that's exactly why I only look a day or two ahead! Until something comes within the 3 or 4 days window, it's not even worth looking at IMO. So many people here, totally justified, are seeking something better, and then see a few runs showing something better, and then get heartbroken the next day. With a broken heart, this then sets the new cycle of seeking off again, and then people can find themselves in a toxic loop of hope and heartbreak. It's a bit like online dating 👩‍❤️‍👨💔🔮😭

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

WYorksWeather I'd define "summer" as when the temp reaches 21C or more on the vast majority of days (let's say 3 out of 4).

This can theoretically start happening perhaps around the 15th of May and continue until around mid-September so that would indeed be around 4 months..

Edited by Summer8906
  • Insightful 1

Posted

richie3846What I do is I don't trust anything, not even minutecast, since they are wrong too 🙂

The trends are more or less right, but always on the negative side of the spectrum. Whenever great weather is forecast, it's 100% sure it will be downgraded to fairly average 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

SunnyG It often seems that way but perhaps it's because what we remember.

I do remember the May 2023 fine spell came out of nowhere, I seem to remember even as late as the Coronation weekend, one week before the fine spell started, the models were showing somewhat cool and changeable weather, albeit not quite as bad as the dire Coronation weekend.

The dry and cold second half of Jan 2023 was also a surprise with many predicting extremely mild, dull, wet and windy weather to continue all month.

I will agree though that since end of June last year we've had a long run of promised settled spells that have come to nothing.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted

Summer8906 The May 2023 didn't happen for us in London at all and the Coronation week-end was a washout...The day itself was dire, with constant drizzle and grey skies.

Posted

SunnyG Indeed, I'm not denying that. Clearly remember both the Sat and Mon being dire, the Sat being dull and drizzly and the Monday being just very dark and dull, having the feel of the first overcast day in late summer when you notice the nights starting to draw in. Sat 13th, one week later, was the start of the fine spell here.

Fair enough that the May 2023 spell depended on where you are, but even still, the models were suggesting nationwide cool, changeable weather with slack lows for the 3rd week in May if I remember right.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Alderc 2.0 Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you recover soon and manage to get away later in the year!

Posted

Standing outside it could genuinely be any day in mid December-Feb. The only thing giving it away is the trees are fairly green 

• Like 4

Posted

Azazel I know what you mean but I'd say Oct-March. It's not quite as desperately dull as yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

richie3846 Good analogy, comparing it to online dating, actually makes a good similarity haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1