Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Electric Car - saving the climate or just polluting in other ways?

Sky Full

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Wold Topper does for sure make a valid point. I think it ought to be a choice as to what vehicle a person likes to use. While I realise the importance of wanting a greener planet, taking away some of these sort of classic vehicles, takes away the freedom and joy some have with these machines. These vehicles mean a lot to some. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
On 03/04/2023 at 20:31, Scuba steve said:

Especially those in the Congo we need them to dig out the cobalt 

It seems humanity struggles to do anything without having a destructive effect on the Natural Enviroment and Biodiversity 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
On 28/03/2023 at 22:55, Bristle Si said:

And, just so peeps know, if some of you dont know already, go to your local council's website. Search for report a pothole or something similar. Then fill out the form with location of pothole details. It will get logged and within 10 days they'll send a team out to check and identify, and usually spray a little white or yellow circle around the 'offending' pothole. Within another week or so, the pothole should be filled. If you do this, they're bound to sort it.

(Highways England are responsible for motorways and A roads pothole repair, in England).

Here in the pothole capital of the world, we are all logging potholes on council website almost on a daily basis,  I’ve had three tyres shredded because of potholes.  Council don’t come out for anything less than a B road and have stated that they won’t maintain our rural roads off the B road, which is most of them.  Most they do is lob a sack of tarmac in a hole in summer which as we know gets washed out by heavy rains and ice , oh and the frequent 4x4 g and dirt bike grockles that use them as a day out at the races.  

As for electric cars.  There are some in the valley and one village has a charging point, but I doubt many, inc self, can afford one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think we might be in need of a modern-day version of John Major's infamous Cones Hotline: a month of misdirection is surely upon us! 🤔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
On 26/03/2023 at 16:25, Methuselah said:

Well then, the infrastructure will have to be provided, won't it? In the meantime (at least as far as inner cities are concerned) it's the elimination of ozone and airborne particulates that should be the main concern. 🤔

It seems so 🤦‍♂️

AA19CgqB.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

Car parks could collapse under the weight of electric cars

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 10/04/2023 at 08:59, markyo said:

Why?

because some people cant handle the truth that abandoning fossil fuels tomorrow just can't happen for a myriad of reasons 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

because some people cant handle the truth that abandoning fossil fuels tomorrow just can't happen for a myriad of reasons 

That i fully get, see my previous posts on this thread, a joke? No, its a issue we all need to understand. We are being pushed into a future that with technology as it is, is not going to work, fact. One solution does not fit all, electric  will be needed massively, but as a overall approach. The world is far far to complex for that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted

HMG, out of touch? Surely not -- Tarquin and Miranda will be fine:

WWW.BIRMINGHAMMAIL.CO.UK

Figures show that Coventry and Solihull are the region's best areas for the number of charging points, while Walsall is the worst.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Some more info (pros & cons) on electric car production:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow
001e7657-1600.jpg
WWW.RTE.IE

An electric car is suspected to be the cause of a fire on a cargo ship off the Netherlands in which one crew member died, amid fears the blaze could burn for days and...

What will it be like with ferry loads of EVs chugging over and back across the channel? Disaster waiting to happen I suspect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
5 minutes ago, Mixer 85 said:
001e7657-1600.jpg
WWW.RTE.IE

An electric car is suspected to be the cause of a fire on a cargo ship off the Netherlands in which one crew member died, amid fears the blaze could burn for days and...

What will it be like with ferry loads of EVs chugging over and back across the channel? Disaster waiting to happen I suspect.

It’s likely the ferry operators will simply ban EVs  from their ships 

• Like 3

Posted

Forget electric cars they are no good in frost and snow..

Whats coming next is flying cars ideal..

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Forget electric cars they are no good in frost and snow..

your safe in the UK then 😎..here we had the exact situation in the very cold spell of December last year ...Teslas etc were literally dying on the highways as the cold drained their batteries rapidly 

• Like 1

Posted
On 26/07/2023 at 21:23, cheeky_monkey said:

your safe in the UK then 😎..here we had the exact situation in the very cold spell of December last year ...Teslas etc were literally dying on the highways as the cold drained their batteries rapidly 

Not here up in the hills away from civilization..

In the coldest climate of the UK 4c colder to low ground..

Last December's severe frosts would ve been a good start..

Anyway I have tractors some old classics which always start in the frost fordson Majors,I ll stick with them I think..

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 2

Posted
On 29/07/2023 at 01:25, Snowyowl9 said:

Not here up in the hills away from civilization..

In the coldest climate of the UK 4c colder to low ground..

Last December's severe frosts would ve been a good start..

Anyway I have tractors some old classics which always start in the frost fordson Majors,I ll stick with them I think..

i doubt it gets below -40c there though :snowman-emoji:

Posted

Came across this leviathan on holiday in Greece,owned by an oligarch apparently , when these are scrapped along with private jets I’ll take EVs seriously 

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Scuba steve said:

Came across this leviathan on holiday in Greece,owned by an oligarch apparently , when these are scrapped along with private jets I’ll take EVs seriously 

Could contain:

And private helicopters. 99%+ of the population will never travel in them, so there is zero reason for them to exist.

• Like 1

Posted

English Channel shipping every week is equiv to a whole year's car useage in the UK by everyone.

Waste of time trying to curb, and vast maj of UK pop would whinge if revenue starved the NHS and welfare state.

There is NO plan. Carry on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather, thunderstorms, snow
3 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

Could contain:

Also when they start incurring carbon taxes like the rest of us 

sharelogo_facebook.jpg
WWW.EUROPARL.EUROPA.EU

Question for written answer E-003298/2022 to the Commission Rule 138 Markus Buchheit (ID)

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Scuba steve said:

Could contain:

I should of added it was docked at his own private island of Scopios of Onassis fame 

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

The announcement that the government might be about to delay the total ban on ICE powered cars in the UK made me catch up with this thread.  I must say that there are very persuasive arguments both for and against the electric car and opinions do seem to be evenly split in here.

I also found this article very interesting especially because I believe there are alternative technologies to electric battery powered cars which have not been properly explored or given similar investment:

WWW.RAC.CO.UK

Hydrogen cars were first introduced by Toyota in 2014 and are making a strong case for changing the way we power our travel.

I was not aware that in Asian countries there are policies in place to support the development and future use of hydrogen powered cars, or that Toyota and Hyundai already produce road going hydrogen cars which can driven out of the showroom today…..

Extract:

Asia vs the world?  
As the only two major car brands developing hydrogen cars are based in Asia - it is hardly suprising that there has been more of an effort to develop the industry.   In contrast to Europe where there are 230 hydrogen stations, and a limited number of cars avalable, Asia is investing in the future of hydrogen as a fuel for vehicles across the continent.

The Japanese government have announced plans to have more than 800,000 hydrogen vehicles on roads by 2030 - and China aims to have more than a million by 2035.   As it is with most new innovations - early devleopers will get a foothold in the industry, advance the tech, and ultimately make it cheaper for the customer.”

While it is clearly going to be a problem installing all the electric charging points which people will need over the next ten years, providing hydrogen refill stations would not be so difficult because petrol forecourt’s already exist and should be readily adaptable.  There is a huge cost issue with hydrogen cars but this was also true of early electric cars and the technology would become much more affordable if it was given a chance to become a real competitor.

BTW:  The most abundant element in the solar system?  Hydrogen.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
On 21/03/2023 at 12:37, Thundery wintry showers said:

………the Government's plan to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030…..

I won't be surprised if when it comes to the time they end up pushing the measure back another 5-10 years,……..

Looks like you might have been right about that, sooner than you thought!

Edited by Sky Full

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

My only concern here is that it's another platform for outsourcing work to east Asia. There's a multitude of reasons why that's bad for our economy and shifts the pollution into other areas. The amount of back and forth shipping can't be good, for example. Realistically we need to be exploring more localised manufacturing and cutting back on international shipping, but it's just more profitable to outsource everything to China apparently.

Posted
50 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

BTW:  The most abundant element in the solar system?  Hydrogen.    

its super easy to convert liquid water into hydrogen