Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into February

damianslaw
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

The charts are pretty grim really right out to 2nd week of February. I guess anything can happen after that and we still have snow chances for another month at least. Storm Emma landed here on 1st March and gave more snow and drifting than I had seen for 50 years.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
16 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

no surprise feb not looking like any cold weather arriving.

really poor outlook for cold again.

First half of February is a write off. Only leaves us 2 weeks of winter 'proper' and then whatever meteorological spring can throw at us. 

• Like 4

Posted

Not often you see such a short distance between the 0c 850 line and -8 .

The ECM does its best to avoid the UK with that deeper cold at day 7!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Really failing to see reasons to be disheartened with the modelling 

gensnh-29-0-384.png gensnh-17-0-384.png

animfjg1.gif animnlt7.gif

gensnh-4-1-300.png animxfr3.gif

animzqg3.gif animpgr3.gif

gensnh-20-1-360.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

gensnh-20-1-360.png

I see we're back to cherry picking the coldest GFS ensemble members at day 15 to show promise 😅

Literally no point in posting that when you've got this chart at the same timeframe at the total opposite end of the ensemble spectrum.

Could contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, HeadCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Line Chart

Latest MetO thoughts for the second half of February:

Monday 13 Feb - Monday 27 Feb

While uncertain, a continuation of the regional divide between the north and south is expected as the broad theme for this period. Unsettled conditions are more likely to dominate in the north while the south remains settled and drier. A spell of more widely spread wet and windy weather is likely to persist for several days across all areas, although wettest conditions will focus in the west. Temperatures are most likely to remain around average or above.'

There simply isn't a signal for anything substantially cold at the moment. That could change going forward of course.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

gensnh-20-1-360.png

There a v few decent eps members out to day 15.  A residual three or four in each suite. If the gefs and geps are offering a much better percentage then another cold spell remains possible week 2 into 3. But we could do with the eps at least recognising with another few members that it’s possible. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

As we get very close to approaching the following month of February, let’s do, as usual, ensure to keep things friendly in here please and respect other people’s opinions and stuff. 

The dungeon is always open ready to throw the mischief-makers into. Don’t be one of them. 

Any off topic or rotten posts do feel free to report them to the mods and admins, and we’ll get on the case as soon as we possibly can. 😎 Cheers all!

While I haven’t looked at the models in a while, I do hope February will bring us a good variety of weather for various weather fans down to snow, windstorms, calm sunny and/or frosty days and, some, a spot of early(ish) Spring warmth. ❄️🔥

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

I must check the maps for the period 1970-1988 and also 1947/63, 2010.  Maybe Greenland dipped below the ocean in those years ….

Really..maybe you can check to see if the Jet stream was still running as you have so much time....

My point, as I'm sure you were well aware is the profile around Greenland was a little different!

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

• Like 3

Posted

GFS has a better go at building a Scandy high at day 11 - just a few hundred miles out 😂
Certainly a better run though, and the run may get better. Over to the ens to see if we can increase on the members showing something colder 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Morning all!

ECM clusters today, starting T120-T168:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Person, Text

Main area of difference is the amplification of the Atlantic ridge in this timeframe, cluster 1 the most, cluster 3 the least.

T192-T240:

Could contain: Comics, Book, Publication, Pattern

The first three don’t look very inspiring but the last two (15 members between them) show the scandi high option, particularly cluster 5.

T264+:

Could contain: Book, Publication, Comics, Person, Baby

These look better than they actually are, as the +NAO cluster 1 is the majority with 19 members.  Again cluster 5 looks good, but not very well supported with 6 members.

The spread indicates the area of uncertainty (T240):

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, Head

So, on paper there is a chance, maybe 20% at best, of something colder in the 15 day timeframe, but imo it is unlikely, and the scandi high runs are probably a modelling mirage!  

Longer term, two things should help, the ‘flushed down’ westerlies from the strat should dissipate in some sense, which means we might actually see some benefit then from the weaker vortex that remains (new minor warmings showing on 15 day timescale on GFS).  Secondly, we might get some assistance from the MJO which at present just seems to be farting around in Phase 3 - and in my experience it is no use to man or beast in the Indian Ocean.  With the time taken to get to favourable phases, plus a 10 day lag, that would be tail end of Feb or into March now.  

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, KTtom said:

Really..maybe you can check to see if the Jet stream was still running as you have so much time....

My point, as I'm sure you were well aware is the profile around Greenland was a little different!

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Modern Art, Art

That’s not how your original post read 

you were noting that two geographic features are involved in our difficulty to see deep winter cold 

one is the gulf stream and the other the v large Arctic island of Greenland (which attracts the pv

if you were referring to the current tpv profile around Greenland then I missunderstood you …..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Anom's have in fact improved with each run since yesterday. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

06z gefs mean opens up the euro ridge to the polar ridge for the first time at day 8 onwards 

Was just browsing through the set, maybe something to watch for later on the 12z runs, not much consistency run to run at the moment though 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Accessories

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Was just browsing through the set, maybe something to watch for later on the 12z runs, not much consistency run to run at the moment though 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Hurricane, Storm, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, Accessories

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

Looking more like where I think we will end up in a few weeks, just expect less pv on the west side. Third one is the best.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
12 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Looking more like where I think we will end up in a few weeks, just expect less pv on the west side. Third one is the best.

Yes we need to see some sort of undercut, unfortunately as usual all the energy wants to go over the top of the high and the HP inevitably sinks.Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

First half of February is a write off. Only leaves us 2 weeks of winter 'proper' and then whatever meteorological spring can throw at us. 

We have seen more snow in march here since 2010 then any of the so-called winter months,how pathetic is that.

Looking like could be the same this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Uncertainty being the word again with the gfes6z extended..

Could contain: Chart

...a wide spread with a few ens well below minus 10 850s in latter third of run reflecting the easterly perhaps .  The mean settling back on the long term mean now...this has been a trend to move it back over last couple of runs..problem is...will it continue...

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

That’s not how your original post read 

you were noting that two geographic features are involved in our difficulty to see deep winter cold 

one is the gulf stream and the other the v large Arctic island of Greenland (which attracts the pv

if you were referring to the current tpv profile around Greenland then I missunderstood you …..

yes, my point, whilst trying to add a miniscule bit of humour on a Monday morning was that without Greenland the TPV would likely to be more mobile and not stuck permanently to our NW throughout the winter months driving our weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Anom's have in fact improved with each run since yesterday. 

Apologies if this is a daft question and the answer is blindingly obvious but are there surface and/or 850 temp anomaly charts to accompany these - what I feel are - misleading pressure charts? I know EC46 has something along those lines but I don't think I have ever seen one for the everyday model output. Granted I've not looked very hard